County WIGenWeb Project
and posted by Oconto
County WIGenWeb Project
and posted by RITA
site is exclusively for the free access of individual researchers.
No profit may be made by any person, business or organization through
reproduction, presentation or links
OCONTO COUNTY SCHOOLS
Highway M & Elm Road
town of How
photo for a larger view.
District No. 2
Built in 1879.
was taken in 1902 while still a
school. The student
body, grades 1 through 12, here numbers well into the 50's, with the
one teacher standing in the back right. Older
tutor the younger ones. Surnames of students in this photo include
Ehlinger, Grignon, Philippi, Schuettpelz,
Otto, Deeds, Otradovec,
Hischke, Pethke, Aldrich, Kolberg. Several of the students pictured
became teachers in Oconto County and other schools.
A second classroom was added in 1917, after this crowded photo was
The original one room
1879 school is on
1917 addition and tower is on the right
May 1, 1903
Alla Hankwitz closed her school last week after an eight month's term
in School District No. 2 known as the Grignon school house.
by Larry Grady
(transcribed from news article below)
is the twelfth in
articles sponsored by the Oconto County Teachers Association to promote
better public relations in the schools of our county.
THURS.JAN. 7, 1954 — OCONTO
COUNTY (WIS.) REPORTER-
Part of Instruction at North Branch; Grignon Founded in 1870
Grignon school district No. 2 in the town of How, Oconto county,
was organized approximately in the late 1870(s). There is a record of
purchase of the land that is the present site of the school from Peter
Colville, November 3, 1877, for one dollar. The lumber was believed to
have come from Green Bay. There are no records to tell who was on the
school board. Some of the first pupils were Chris Hein, John Hein,
Minnie Hein, John Lyons, Lizzie Lyons, Maggie Lyons, Mina Saunders,
Caroline Ehlinger, Mike Ehlinger. Nick Ehlinger and Clara Ehlinger.
Some of the first teachers were Miss Hamilton, Suzy Gilke, Alice Evans,
Waile Trecartin, Maggie Bellew. Anna Banta, Jennie Houle, Cora
Raymond, Greta Neuman, Mina Saunders (1899-1900), Jo Mann, Roger
Brooks. Margaret Calhoun and Henry Wegner. Mr. Wegner at the
time is a member of the State Department of Public Instruction at
Madison, acting in the capacity of Assistant Supervisor of the School
Lunch Program. Mina Saunders had about fifty-two pupils in the one-room
school, received $30.00 per month, and did her own cleaning of
Robert Grignon, John Stengel, Gustav Otto were the school board members
at this time.
In 1916 Kevin Grady was the teacher receiving $40.00 per month. The
school operated as a one-room rural school until 1917.
On the 20th of April of 1917. a special meeting was held at the school.
Mr. Alex Grignon, a new member on the board and clerk, read an
affidavit showing that the meeting was called on the written request of
five legal voters of the district that notices thereof were posted in
manner prescribed for calling the annual meeting. Sixty people were
notified to vote on the following:
1. Authorize the school board to
make application for a loan of $2,775.00 from the State Trust Funds for
the purpose of building a school.
2. To raise by tax a sum sufficient
to pay the principal and interest of "such loan as it becomes due."
The new part of the school was built by Peter Miller.
Teachers in the two room school were: Birdie Cheffings and Ann Parker,
Myrtle Mc Glachin and Edity Don Levy, Lillian and Rose Gilligan.
School board members were John Stengel, Alex Grignon and Gustav Otto.
Other board members later were Louis Suring, Paul
John Hoefs, Hugo Gipp, Theo. Jansen, Paul Bartz,
Pethke Sr., Mike Ehlinger, Paul Schuettpelz, Frederick Stengel and
In a meeting held July 2nd. 1923, it was voted to make the school a
one-room school with one teacher.
Some of the teachers that taught after this were Margaret Aldrich,
Myrtle Ankerson, Konrad Koosman, Ethel Fredrickson, Mary Mc Allister,
Earl Erdman, Rose Otradovec, Russell Wicke, Pearl Sorenson, Mariam
Scheer, Mrs. Florence Hamlin, Mrs. A. Nelson and Mrs. E. Pasterski.
The present teacher is Mrs. Lucille Schmit.
The present school board members are Mrs. Hubert Scheer, Mr. Harry Otto
and Mr. Albert Kegel.
The school serves as the meeting place for the 4-H club and the leaders
of the Homemakers.
The most recent improvements are all new desks, double roll shades,
screens, eave troughs and the painting of the outside of the school.
TO THE OCONTO COUNTY SCHOOLS HOME PAGE
TO THE OCONTO
COUNTY HOME PAGE