Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
Collected and posted by Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
Collected and posted by RITA
This site is exclusively for the free access of individual researchers.
* No profit may be made by any person, business or organization through publication, reproduction, presentation or links
to this site.

HISTORIC OCONTO COUNTY SCHOOLS
Hall  School Building

Photos by Pat Drees


Hall School


Oconto County, Wisconsin

Contributed by Larry Grady
(transcribed from news article below)


This is the 30th in a series of articles sponsored by the Oconto County Teacher's Association to promote better relations in the schools of our county.


HALL SCHOOL

In 1898, a group of interested citizens of the Town of Little River, District No. 3, banded together, deciding education was a must.

Plans were laid and the first Hall School of frame construction was built. Its first location was near the Fred Dohl farm., Heating system was the old familiar black, pot-bellied stove. Lanterns were hung at night for special programs. Students walked to school each day.

School board members were Dan Hall, Julius Olson and August Nelson. The first teacher Emily Lundstrom received $30.00 a month. Enrollment was approximately fifty-five students. This same building was moved to the Oscar Burleen's farm just south of the present school. It is being used as a granary and garage (1954).

The present" school is also of frame construction, but much larger than the first. The school has a large basement, where furnace with blower attachment has been installed.

Some of the improvements, made over the years, have been the purchase of adjustable desks and a film strip projector.

The school has followed the ''School of the Air" programs. Our Conservation Corner was given an award of honor.

The Health Program sponsored by the State Board of Health this past year has done much to improve the eating habits of the children and to get the children to visit the dentist. Eighty-six percent of the children this year have had dental work done.

The present school board members are Ed Cisar, clerk; Kenneth Retrum, director; Mrs. Ruth Grady, treasurer. Mrs. Alveda Yashinsky is teaching at the Hall school.




BACK TO THE OCONTO COUNTY SCHOOLS HOME PAGE

BACK TO THE OCONTO COUNTY HOME PAGE