Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
Collected and posted by Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
Collected and posted by RITA
This site is exclusively for the free access of individual researchers.
* No profit may be made by any person, business or organization through publication, reproduction, presentation or links to this site.

 .  Hickory School .
9875 Cty. Rd. M
Maple Valley
Oconto County, Wisconsin
The buildings are now gone.


Hickory in 1910 - note
the Hickory Schoolhouse on the left,
it was later Woodsman Hall

Enlargement shows the second Hickory Schoolhouse built in 1887
 that replaced the 1872 log cabin school. When the 1914 Hickory School building (below) replaced this schoolhouse, it was converted to Woodsman Hall.



1914 Hickory Grade School c: 1953 (above)
Hickory School - Elsie Longard

1914 Hickory Graded School in 1989 before being refurbished in the 1990s.
This building no longer stands.


The following 2 photos and information contributed by: Bette Elbe
and shared by
Pat and Bob Broetzman

Please click on the image below for a full size view
"Hickory Grade School taken in the fall of 1943"

Left side of picture is Row 1 and seated front to back are; Allan Krauter, Ray Trevor Jr, Elaine Baker, Ruth Fabry, Dan Hanson, Nick Hanson
Row 2: Sharon Broetzman, Lillian Trevor, Bob Andersen, Hubert House, Marie Fabry, Marilyn Larson, Carol Hanson
Row 3: Bill Larson, Lois Baker, Jack Gilligan, Vivian Janiak, Dale Hanson, Joann Gilligan, Joy Moede
Row 4: Dan Hanson, Bob Broetzman, Lyle Gilligan, Lee Gilligan, Bill Moranik  (Eighth Grade)
Row 5: Byron Phillips, Shirley Baker (Eighth Grade)
Teacher Mary Shores 
Pat and Bob Broetzman shared this photo and information. They both attended Grades 1 through 8 at Hickory Grade School and owned the school in the 90's when Pat hosted "Pat's Part of the Past Antiques" inside.
I'm enclosing a nice photo of the school after she refurbished it for her shop. Pat should have been on the enclosed 1943 group photo, but sadly was absent the day the class photo was taken.

contributed by:Larry Grady
(transcribed from the news article below)

This is the 24th in a series of articles sponsored by the Oconto County Teacher's Association to promote better public relations in the schools of our county.

HICKORY SCHOOL
Every Year Improvements Made
at Hickory Rural Grade School

Hickory School District was set up as a school district October, 1871, as District Number 5, Town of Gillett. The first school board was Lorenzo Lord clerk, Thomas McMahon director, and George Trecartin treasurer. At the first school meeting $150.00 was voted to build a school house. During the time it look to build the school building. Mrs. Lorenzo Lord taught the few children in the district in small log building owned by Stephen May, one mile south of Hickory. She rode on horseback and followed a trail through the woods. So far as known, there is no record of her receiving any pay for this service.

Isaiah Post built the first school house for $150.00 on the Al Johnson land, now owned by Millon Christensen, one half a mile south of Hickory and across the road from the Church of Christ.

In 1872, Hickory School was known as District One, Town of Maple Valley. Miss Hawthorne was engaged to teach for a term of 5 months at $40.00 a month.  The County Superintendent at that time was Mr. H. Allen. The stove was an old type rectangular wood stove. It was voted to use the Harper Books. This little log building served its day.

In 1887 it was voted to build a new schoolhouse at Hickory Corners. Eight hundred dollars was raised for the new building. Mr. H. W. Gilkey was the first teacher who taught in the new building. This building was used for twenty seven velars or until 1914.

The present school was built in 1914. It is a brick building and has a basement. Miss Myrtle McGlachlin was the first teacher in the present school. The present school board is Walter Smoot clerk, Milton Christensen director and Mrs. Belle McMahon treasurer. Mrs. McMahon has served thirty years on the Hickory School Board. The present teacher is Mrs. Byrdie Stewart. Many school teachers have come out of Hickory School. "Smily" Burnette, the cowboy movie actor attended school here.

In 1939 a P.T.A. was organized by Mrs. Loyd of Oconto. This organization is still active and supplies many needs of the school, especially the Hot Lunch Program which is progressing nicely with our present cook Mrs. Bertha Phillips. The school has an enrollment of thirty-eight pupils.

Every year something has been accomplished towards improvement of the building and playground. Just recently a new oil furnace has been installed which helps to keep everyone happy these zero winter days.

The Art, Music and Conservation programs which are sponsored by the Wisconsin School of the Air have a place in the daily program of our school. Conservation has a new meaning. The broadcasts have led to two related activities namely, the Conservation Corner and the Log Book which are detailed records of the studies and achievements of the group for each broadcast program.

OUT OF THE LEAF FALLS
These are the things to cherish:

A seed, and a dream, and a child;
Else must the nations perish, And earth fall away to the wild.
These are the things to nourish the budding of trees and youth;
So shall the grown things flourish— Manhood and beauty and truth.
Out of the leaf-falls that perish Retrieved from the baste an wild,
These arc the things to cherish a seed, and a dream, and a child.
—AUTHOR UNKNOWN


Emily Volk (left-most row, second desk)
8th grade, Hickory Corners School 1917
contributed by Volk Family descendant: Gayle Volk

1 room Hickory Corners School sometime between 1910-1920
 (from Garth Volk)
contributed by Volk Family descendant: Gayle Volk

Photos below taken in 1989 by contributor: Rick Hidde

Pages from 1979 reunion booklet "Hickory Corners" contributed by: Rick Hidde







contributed by:Larry Grady




BACK TO THE OCONTO COUNTY HOME PAGE