Search billions of records on

Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
Collected and posted by Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
Collected and posted by RITA
This site is exclusively for the free access of individual researchers.
* No profit may be made by any person, business or organization through publication, reproduction, presentation or links
to this site.

  Hayes - Graded School
Town of How
Oconto County, Wisconsin

The first Hayes School
built in 1878
Photo from the collection of:
Kate (Catherine) Holl Philippi
(1888 - 1965)
whose father John Holl Sr. (1857 - 1933) was a How pioneer, helping to fund and build the school
and was a long time member of the township school board.
Kate attended grades one through twelve 1893-1905,  as did her 6 siblings,
and her children attended in the next generation when the school had grades 1 - 8.

 Hayes  Graded School -
c: 1890
The first school building in Town of How was built in 1878 at the top of what was then known locally as "Plank Hill", because the very steep grade required split logs to be embedded in the sandy soil for horses and wagons to make the climb.  It was later known as Suring Hill.  The beautiful wooden rural school initially taught grades one through twelve. The building was also used for meetings and other community activities. In 1905 the school was lengthened in the front to accommodate increased enrollment. The building remained a grade school until the mid 1900's when schools were consolidated. It was then updated with quietly funding by Hayes resident Anna Holl, who was always dedicated to the children of the community, for use as a community center where clubs, organizations and groups could meet. It remains the Town of How Community Building.

Oconto County Reporter
November 21, 1902

The pupils of Hayes graded school have been working under the motto "rowing not drifting." The members feel that a decided personal effort on the part of each one as well as the hearty cooperation of all is necessary to keep their school up to the standard they have placed for it. The following have proved successful oarsmen during the past week:
Upper Department:  Clara Yakel, Elsa Johnson, Esther Suring, Edyth Gardner, Lillian Johnson, John Johnson, Cora Suring, Hugo Krueger, Viola Cato, Emma Radloff, Rosa Radloff, Alice Dieck, Elsa Gerndt, Mabel Serier, Mary Massar.
Primary Department:  Ella Yakel, Herman Gerandt, Hattie Wescott, Eva Aldrich, Emma Yakel, Ella Hieschke (Hischke).
Flora M. Carncross, Principal, Josephine H. Mann, Primary Teacher.

Hayes School 1946-47 grade's 1-8
Bottom Row : Dale Hischke, Myra Peterman,Roger Schuettpelz
Dave Gualker, Curtis Strehlow,Eleanore Schuettpelz..
Next Row: Stanley Strehlow, Jim Weatherwax, Leah Peterman
Loris Weir, Dave Gualker, Dean Schuettpelz
John Brickner,Sharon Hischke.
Miss Wilson, Teacher
Next Row: Janice Schuettpelz, Fern Strehlow, Florence Dessert,
Beverly Meales, Louise Dessert, Eddie Dessert,
Marvin Schuettpelz
— in Hayes, Wisconsin

Photo contributed by:
Jill Gondek
Taken 2010