Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
Collected and posted by Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
Collected and posted by RITA
This site is exclusively for the free access of individual researchers.
* No profit may be made by any person, business or organization through publication, reproduction, presentation or links
to this site.

HISTORIC OCONTO COUNTY SCHOOLS
 Kelly Lake School
Town of Spruce
Oconto County, Wisconsin



Kelly Lake School
built in 1928
Photos contributed by:
Jill Gondek
Taken 2010

               Archives & Area Research Center               
University of Wisconsin-Green Bay

 offers the following online records

Kelly Lake School record books, 1948-1962.
below contributed by: Larry Grady
(transcribed from the 1953 news article below)




This is the 27th in a series of unities sponsored by the Oconto County Teacher's Association to promote better public relations in the schools of our county.

KELLY LAKE SCHOOL

The Kelly Lake School District Number 6 is located at the junction of the Towns of Spruce and Brazeau on County Trunk G. Both towns are represented in the district.

The first school, a brick building, was built in 1920. It was not completed until Christmas so classes were held in the Thomas Hoffman cottage at Kelly Lake. Miss Lucy Gidney was the teacher in the cottage and the new school. There was an enrollment of 23 pupils.

The board members were Mr. John Nelson, clerk; Mr. James Finnegan, director; and Mr. Fred Gidney, treasurer. The director and treasurer were paid for mileage which amounted to $4.00 a year. The clerk received mileage plus $10.00. The teacher's wages were set at not less than $75.00 a month.
The school was only 8 years old when on Mother's Day, a fire, cause unknown, started in the basement and burned the building. Classes again were held in the Thomas Hoffman cottage.

The new frame school was built the same year, 1928, in the same place as the old one. The first teacher in this school was Miss Gertrude Wendt. The first school board was Mr. John Nelson, Mr. Charles Hoffman and Miss Emma Peacock.

The present teacher is Mrs. Mavis Blazak. The present school board is Mr. Joe Valenta, clerk; Mr. Leo Hoffman, director; and Mr. Alfred Blazek, treasurer.

A water system was put in a few years ago. The new green-type boards have replaced the blackboards. An oil burning furnance now makes the school a comfortable place to work and play. The basement has been cleaned and is now heated for recreational purposes.

There is now an enrollment of 11, but as other school enrollments have been increasing so will this one.




BACK TO THE OCONTO COUNTY SCHOOLS HOME PAGE

BACK TO THE OCONTO COUNTY HOME PAGE