Klondike—The West Klondike School goes back to 1845, when the log building was located two miles West of Klondike or ten miles West of Coleman. As the years have slipped past a new site was located in the Fall of 1902, in the Town of Brazeau. The first school board was Mr. John Magee, director; Mr. John Lembeke, clerk; and Mr. Joe P. Brazeau, treasurer. The wages were five dollars each.
The enrollment at this time was twenty. The first teachers were Miss Jessie Magee, Mr. Fred Steffick in 1907, Asa Couillard 1909, and Miss Hazel Bond 1911. There were six months of school and the teacher's salary was $25.00 a month. Later an extra three months were added and the teacher's salary was forty-five dollars a month. The first county superintendent was Miss Taylor.
The room was heated with a furnace. During darkness the room was lighted by oil lamps. There were both single and double desks. There were no means of transportation to school. At one time there were sixty children attending.
During the early days forest fires were frequent. The teacher would ring the school bell to call the farmers together to help fight the fire.
To the right of the school house was a stone well, which became dry in time. It was then filled in with rocks and a deciduous tree was planted. Then a well was dug on the North side of the school. At the pesent a well is being drilled on the South side of the school. The pipes are set at a depth of one hundred thirty-two feet. The basement has been cemented, an oil burner was installed five years ago, electric lights are in use, and a one-half acre of land was bought for the children to go coasting on the school grounds.
The basketballs and nets were given to the school by the PTA. The Homemakers are stressing good citizenship. Transportation is provided for those living two miles away from school. The children have planted trees around the school yard.
At the present there are twenty-nine children attending this school under the supervision of Mr. Harold Johnson. The Messenger Creek School, Brazeau Central School and West Klondike School are in one district under one school board. The board consists of Gust Depner, director; Dave Mc Clure, clerk; and Earl Skarda, treasurer.
BACK TO THE OCONTO COUNTY HOME PAGE