Laurie J. Wieber-Martins
the 4th in a series of articles
sponsored by the Oconto County Teachers Association
to promote better public relations in the schools of our county.
The articles were found in the scrap book of his late mother.
On April 27, 1901, a meeting was held at 8 o’clock at the home of Mrs. S.A. Johnson in the town of Pensaukee. It was held to select a plot of land to build a school house in the town of Abrams which was to be District No. 8. The meeting was called to order by Mr. W.S. Parkinson. It was decided that the school be located on the SE corner of the SE quarter of Section 20. This is located about four miles northwest of Abrams. The cost of this building was to be about seven hundred fifty dollars. The board members elected were: Mr. C.N. Knowles, Clerk; Mr. Wm. Kickhafter, Treasurer, and Mr. W.S. Parkinson, Director.
The last day of September that same year school began. It was to be held for a period of seven months. There were three months before the holidays, then a two weeks vacation, and then four months before summer vacation. Their first teacher was Miss Francis Tupper, who received twenty-five dollars a month. The furniture in school was made by the men of that district. Their stove was the old jacket type stove which burned wood. Wood was bought from fifty cents to one dollar and a quarter a cord. The person selected to do the cleaning was given three dollars and fifty cents for the term.
The children had to buy their own books the first year, but the second year the district started to buy them. The value of the library was around three dollars the first few years.
The total number in the district was one hundred twenty-two. Sixty-five of these were children between the ages of four and twenty years.
In 1936 electricity was put in the school, up to that time it was lighted by lamps. The old fashioned wood stove was replaced by an oil burner this fall. There isn’t any hot lunch set up, but the children heat soup and bake potatoes on the top of the stove. The water is obtained from a well, the same as it was years ago. The school has a physical education program planned for three days a week.
At present there are twenty-one children attending this same school under the supervision of Mrs. Violet Buss. The present board members are: Mr. Frank Bonk, Clerk; Miss Betty Howaniec, Treasurer; Mr. Andrew Hornick, Director.
BACK TO THE OCONTO COUNTY HOME PAGE