Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
Collected and posted by Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
Collected and posted by RITA
This site is exclusively for the free access of individual researchers.
* No profit may be made by any person, business or organization through publication, reproduction, presentation or links
to this site.

HISTORIC OCONTO COUNTY SCHOOLS
Maple Grove School

Oconto County, Wisconsin


Maple Grove School Students in 1956
Contributed by
Larry Grady


Maple Grove School, left, attached to McDowell School 2010
Contributed by
Larry Grady

Contributed by
Larry Grady
(transcribed from news article below)

MAPLE GROVE SCHOOL


Oconto—Maple Grove School, located in the Towns of Oconto and Little River, is known as one of the oldest schools in Oconto County.

The first school was burned in 1884 The present school building was built in 1885. It is located three miles Northwest of Oconto. It received its name from the many Maple trees found in the area. The school is surrounded with large maple trees, which makes it a beautiful sight in the Fall when the leaves turn color.

The school is a small frame building, but it is said that over sixty pupils attended it at one time. The present enrollment is fifteen. Years ago the older boys and girls missed a lot of school as they were needed at home for work. Most of them never finished the eighth grade. During the winter when there was a great deal of snow they had to walk the rail fence to get to school. Now most of the children are transported.

The first school board members known were John Lorang, Frank Nerenhausen and Tim Boellen. Mr. Loiang and Mr. Nerenhausen served as board members for many years. Their wages were five dollars a year. The first teacher was Miss Rifenberg and her wages were twenty-five dollars a month. After that Miss Jackson taught. She had only six years of schooling before she started teachine\ The first superintendent was H. G. Gilke and the first supervising teacher ^was Miss Hattie Russell.

Some of the improvements that have been made in the last ten years are insulation of the building, storm windows, electric lights, electric plate, radio, piano, film atrip nrojector. maps, chairs and many new books. The school ground is equipped with swings, slide, basketball and baskets, football and baseballs. The school was newly painted on the inside last summer and the roof was also painted.
The present school board members are Mrs. Philip Nelson, Ed. Nerenhausen, and Gilbert Crawford. The present teacher is Mrs. Hazel King.




BACK TO THE OCONTO COUNTY SCHOOLS HOME PAGE

BACK TO THE OCONTO COUNTY HOME PAGE