by: Larry Grady
from the news article below)
MORGAN CENTRAL SCHOOL
The Morgan Central School.
District Number 1 in the town of Morgan, was
originally located at Morgan. At the annual meeting held July 5th,
1904, a motion was made and seconded that the school house be moved to
the center of the district. The board was instructed to buy one acre of
land of the N. W. Corner of the E. side of Carl Schroeder's for $75.00.
At a special meeting August 9, 1904. it was decided to build a new
school. The specifications state that the building was to be 22' x 36'
x 12'. The school house was to have a belfry and there was to be a flag
pole. The school yard had to he stumped which was done by David Meyer
for $9.00. The school had a stone wall foundation which was replaced by
a concrete one in 1928. A storm shed was added in 1923.
The walls of the first school were plastered and had wainscoating 4
feet high from the maple floor. In 1915 the walls were tinned and
painted. In 1952 the tin was removed. The walls and ceiling were
covered with fiber board. This year the school and woodshed were
repainted white. The interior of the building was redecorated.
The first school board members were August Birr. Charles Meyers, and O.
B. Judd. Their salaries were $10, S5 and $5 respectively. Mr. Charles
Meyers held his office as treasurer for 38 years.
There were to be seven months of school for the first year. A motion
was made that the board hire a "female" teacher. Stella Perrigu was the
first teacher. Her salary was $30 a month. Each school year after this
was 8 months until 1916. Then the 9 month school year began. In the
years that there were eight months of school it began in the first part
of October. The Superintendent
at this time was
Mr. Gelke. He was followed by Adelaide
Taylor in 1908.
The school was scrubbed three times a year. In 1918 a motion was made
to have it scrubbed once a month.
The first stove used was a box stove. This was replaced in 1911 by a
jacket stove costing $103.13. We are still using this stove. Double
desks were in use until 1918. Then single adjustable desks were
purchased. A well was drilled in 1913.
The school was lighted with bracket lamps. Later the Alpha .Literary
society bought hanging , kerosene lamps. In the early 1930's electric
lights replaced the kerosene lamps. We have a radio and record player,
Some of the early teachers were Clara Mineau. Inez Halsted. Mary Birr.
Mary Volk, Bess Johnston, Nina Hudson, Edna Dobberke, Florence
Krueger, Bemice Nichols, Gertrude Campbell, Mayme Judd. Margaret
Vollmer, Frances Meyer, and Eva Rietbrock.
Some of the later teachers were Mrs. Barbara Geil. Mrs. Howard 1
Rallof. and Frances Nauman.
The present school board members are Mrs. Howard Johnston,
Theodore Gaertig. and Ellsworth Adler. Mrs. Marie Zemblowski
is the present teacher.