photograph from the Holl collection
The Morgan Central School. District Number 1 in the town of Morgan, was originally located at Morgan.
Now Morgan Emmanuel Evangelical United
Brethren Church in Morgan, this building replaced the original Morgan Log School in 1885 that stood at the same spot. The log school was sold and moved. This first wood frame school in Morgan was replaced in 1904 with three schools, Morgan North, Morgan Central #2 (at Highway "C" and Wahl Lane) and Morgan South.
In 1904, when the law was passed establishing the two or three-room graded schools in all districts where the total enrollment averaged above 65, District No.1, Morgan, which had 90 on roll, came under the provisions of the law. The district was divided, abandoning the old white frame school, to build three new schools. Two were north of the old school, the other to the south. The original old Morgan Central school was puchased by the Evangelical Church organization for $500. The building was rebuilt into a church, becoming "The Little White Church at the Cross Roads".
Photo contributed by:Jill Gondek
BACK TO THE OCONTO COUNTY HOME PAGE