County WIGenWeb Project
and posted by Oconto
County WIGenWeb Project
and posted by RITA
site is exclusively for the free access of individual researchers.
No profit may be made by any person, business or organization through
reproduction, presentation or links
OCONTO COUNTY SCHOOLS
Mosling Road and County P
by Larry Grady
(transcribed from news article below)
COUNTY (WIS.) REPORTER — THURS.. NOV. 5. 1953
from Bare Feet But One
the Problems of Early Teachers
Since Its Origin 54 Years Ago, Keeps Pace
is a history of the Mosling Graded school as recalled by Alfred
Anderson and Ewald Druckrey. It is one in a series of articles
regarding Oconto County schools which will appear regularly In the
The Moslirig school was a one room school in its beginning as long
as 1899. The teacher that year was a Miss Margy Gould, who perhaps
taught the children in the crowded room for about $40.00 a month. The
teachers changed with the years and the salary continued to climb until
in 1923 the salary was $110.00 a month. Then the depression struck in
1929 the wages dropped to $65.00 a month in 1934.
During the early years the school was held four months in the fall and
3 months in the spring. There was a dug well about 15 feet deep with a
wooden pump, but most of the time the water could not
be used so the larger boys carried water from the Selnow and Pete
Hanson farms. This task kept them on the road a good share of the day.
At this time the woods grew up on all sides around the school yard.
There was a large box heater about four feet or more long which used
four foot cord wood. On cold days the teacher let the children take
turns to sit near the stove.
The floor in the room was of oak or ash and many was the sliver the
teacher had to pull out of the feet of the barefoot boys. The seats and
desks were large enough for two children to sit together.
The county superintendent about that time was Asa Royce. He probably
came on the train as far as the Mosling station. From there he rode
bicycle up the road to visit school. One of the first school boards was
J. P. Mosling, Gustave Anderson and
Owing to the large attendance and too crowded conditions tc comply with
the law, a project under W.
P. A. was started to build an addition, and an extra room for a State
Graded school. This work was begun in the fall of 1934 and it was quite
a problem in those days with the equipment that was had. The school
board at that time was Chas. Olson, Art Bartlet and Alfred Anderson.
In 1941 hot lunches were provided, with the cooking being done by Mrs.
Bill Moser. The kitchen was in the primary room hall. The children sat
in their seats for lunch. In 1947 the present lunch room was made in
the basement with a seating capacity of about 60. For the last five
years Mrs. Robert Hintz has been doing the cooking.
Some new desks were provided in 1940. At the present time we have 70
modern desks, with 64 being now occupied. In 1942 Che school was wired
for electricity and in 1948 a new refrigerator was bought for the lunch
room. In 1945 the present furnace and stoker were installed. In the
fall of 1948 two out-lying schools joined Mosling. These were Berry
Lake school and Sunny Hill Side school. This was also the year Harry
Heiden was hired to transport all children
who lived two miles or over to our school. The bus route at present
covers a total of 54 miles a day.
In 1951 school was delayed a week in starting because of water-works
being installed in the school. In this current year many improvements
were made—namely: a complete paint job for both rooms, the
sanding and varnishing of floors and desks, new window shades,
purchasing of a slide projector and screen, outdoor basketball poles
and balls, the removal of boys' lavatory from the school yard, removal
of worn out playground equipment, building of a cook's supply room in
the basement, new book cases for the primary room, painting of all
furniture in the school, a complete set of maps for the upper room and
many new text books.
The present school board members are William Janssen, clerk; Ernest
Buchholz, director, and Alvin Giese, treasurer. Mrs. Richard Cox was
hired to teach the upper room in 1948 and is still teaching in this
capicity. Mrs. Fred Gamier was hired in 1951 to teach the primary room
and is still teaching.
In the fall of 1953 a Homemakers organization was formed with Mrs.
Arnold Hanson as president. Both the Homemakers and the 4-H club hold
their meetings at the Mosling school.
TO THE OCONTO COUNTY SCHOOLS HOME PAGE
TO THE OCONTO
COUNTY HOME PAGE