Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
Collected and posted by Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
Collected and posted by RITA
This site is exclusively for the free access of individual researchers.
* No profit may be made by any person, business or organization through publication, reproduction, presentation or links
to this site.

HISTORIC OCONTO COUNTY SCHOOLS
 Jefferson School
Oconto Falls
Oconto County, Wisconsin



1st Jefferson Graded School
in Oconto Falls.
Built in 1882, it was made of wood. It had grades 1 - 12 and
later had a wing added. This wood frame building
was  replaced in 1922 by the brick school after it was struck by lightening in 1920 and destroyed .
Photo contributed by:Jill Gondek


Photo contributed by:
Jill Gondek

Joe Plain of Oconto Falls wrote in 1958 that Lincoln Graded School was first built in 1882  "and of course at that time it was adequate, but later on a wing had to be added. That wood building was struck by lightning in the summer of 1920 and burned to the ground. The following school year emergency classrooms were established where ever they could be obtained.

The first school board in Oconto Falls was established 101 years ago (1857) with John Christie Volk, clerk; Henry Volk, treasurer; and James Tourtelott, director. They rented a chicken coop neat the saw-mill (now the paper mill) and fitted it up for a school room. William Seward was hired as teacher for the three month school term.

The next year our first school house was built. 22’ x 40’ and quite adequate.  Maria Volk was the first teacher at the age of sixteen. Maria had moved from place to place with her parents so often that her own education was more or less hit or miss. Her mother was her teacher when private tutors were not available
.  When Jefferson School was built twenty-four years later, this  22’ x 40’ building was sold and moved to what is now the Benson Schaub farm.  Part of it was used in the construction of the present Schaub residence."  Lincoln Graded School replaced this original building in 1882. Jefferson Elementary School was built in 1922 to replace the burned 1882 graded schoolhouse and closed in 1996. It has since been torn down.

BACK TO THE OCONTO COUNTY SCHOOLS HOME PAGE

BACK TO THE OCONTO COUNTY HOME PAGE