Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
Collected and posted by RITA
This site is exclusively for the free access of individual researchers.
* No profit may be made by any person, business or organization through publication, reproduction, presentation or links to this site.

HISTORIC OCONTO COUNTY SCHOOLS
Photo Page
This project was begun in 1998!

Oconto County, Wisconsin

Please scroll down for a list of schools and links to photos and histories!

1912 Maps of Rural School, Church and Cemetery Locations

click here
Also see:

 Historic Oconto County Township Schools Photo Page

"In 1875 there were 32 schools in the county, with a total of 892 pupils enrolled, including six in Oconto – five public and the new parochial school of St. Joseph’s parish.  The others in town were the Washington school on Michigan and School streets, the Lincoln school on Jones and Adams; Jefferson school on Second street; Pecor school on Center street, and the Douglas school on the southwest corner of Messenger and Gale."  
Oconto County Reporter - November 11, 1971

This would include schools in present day counties that split off from Oconto County in 1879/80.

If you have old or present day photos, even unidentified ones, or histories of ANY county schools,
please send them to
RITA

More Photos, History, Information and Memories Are Welcome and Deeply Appreciated! - You are gratefully credited with your contibutions!!

Looking for school records?  The Green Bay Archives & Area Research Center has some records from various Oconto County schools. 
Contact them at archives@uwgb.edu or (920) 465-2539.
Looking for partial listings of historic schools' teachers?
Oconto County Genealogical Society - Schools

 
For a list of Historic Oconto County, Wisconsin, School Names
Please click:
OCONTO COUNTY HISTORIC SCHOOLS NAME LIST PAGE

Identified Schools

Please click on the photo for a larger view.



Loyal Forest School

Lakewood

Please click below for the history:
Loyal Forest School Page




Kelly Brook School
9095 County A
Town of Spuce

Article contributed by:
Larry Grady

Please click below for the history :

Kelly Brook School Page


Woodrow Wilson School
Wilson Consolidated School

School Street
 Townsend
built 1919


Please click below for the history :

Wilson School Page


Clover Nook School
7493 County Road G 
Town of Maple Valley
built 1901

Photo contributed by:
Jill Gondek
Taken 2010




Lincoln School
Oconto

443 Washington St.
This is the second of three Lincoln school buildings in Oconto.
Please click below for the history :

Lincoln School - Oconto Page





4 Town School
7294 County Road V
Town of Gillett

Photo contributed by:
Jill Gondek
Taken 2010

 Article contributed by:
Larry Grady

Please click below for the history :

4 Town School Page


Little Suamico School
1096 Grosse Road
Little Suamico
built 1916
 Article contributed by:
Larry Grady

Please click below for the history :

Little Suamico School Page


Brazeau Central School
7693 County Roud B
Town of Brazeau


Photos contributed by:
Jill Gondek
Taken 2010


Maple Valley Central School
10697 County Road A
Town of Maple Valley
built 1907
Photo contributed by:
Jill Gondek
Taken 2010
Maple Valley Central School Page

Tar Dam School 
14319 Tar Dam Rd.

Site just west of old Highway 32
town of Mountain

Please click below for the history :

Tar Dam School Page


Photo above contributed by:
Bob Reim 

Sampson School 
  East of where Schwartz Road dead ends at County "C"
Town of Chase
Please click below for the history :

Sampson School Page


Mosling Public School

Mosling Road and "P"
 Town of Underhill
Article contributed by:
Larry Grady

Please click below for the history :

Mosling School Page

Buhrandt School
Hayes Brook School
9140 St. John Road
at Pecor Road
Town of How

built 1912

Photo contributed by:
 Bill Fonferek

Please click below for the history :

Buhrandt - Hayes Brook School Page

Photo Above Contributed by
Larry Grady


Photo contributed by:
Jill Gondek
Taken 2010


Louisville School
Located at Ellman Rd.
& County J

Town of Oconto

Article contributed by:
 Larry Grady

Please click below for the history :

Louisville School Page
Building Identified by:  Kitty at the Oconto County Historical Society



Photos contributed by:
Jill Gondek
Taken 2010


Doty School - Valley View School

Located at County T and Star Lake Rd.

Town of Doty


Please click below for the history :


Doty - Valley View School Page

Building Identified by
:
  Kitty at the
 
Oconto County Historical Society


Photo contributed by
:
Larry Grady

South Chase School
 

484 Cty Rd. C
Town of  Chase


Please click below for the history :


South Chase School Page


Sunny Side School
County Road S at Yurek Road
Northeast Corner
Town of Chase
built 1902


There is only a foundation left of the school building that is found at that location on the 1912 plat map of town of Chase.


Townline School 
Breed school
town of How


Please click below for the history :


Townline School Page

St. Anthonys Catholic School
City of Oconto


Please click below for the history :

St Anthony Catholic School Page


Quarterline School 
Town of Gillett


Please click below for the history :

Quarterline School Page



West Side School 
Sobieski
built 1909


Please click below for the history :

West Side School Page

St Joseph School
City of Oconto

Taken 1892

Please click below for the history :
 St. Joseph School Oconto Page

Bayshore "Frogpond" School
City of Oconto


Please click below for the history :

Bayshore School Page

Jefferson School
Oconto Falls West

Photo contributed by:
Jill Gondek

Jefferson School Oconto Falls Page



Lincoln School
Oconto Falls South

Please click below for the history :
Lincoln School Oconto Falls Page



Oak Orchard School
Was on Windross Lane 
in Oak Orchard 
Town of Pensaukee
,

Photo contributed by:
Jill Gondek

Please click below for the history :

Oak Orchard School Page




North Chase - Roosevelt School
Town of Chase

County Highway "C" at Holowinski Road

Photo above contributed by:
Bob Reim 

North Chase - Roosevelt School Page

Lincoln School
8608 Gohr St.
Town of Chase

Photo contributed by:
Jill Gondek
Taken 2010


Please click below for the history :

Lincoln School Page

Messenger Creek School
10107 Cty Rd. B
Town of Brazeau

Photo contributed by:
Bob & Rita

Taken 1999


Please click below for the history :
Messenger Creek School Page


 Hayes - How Graded School 

c: 1890
County M & Claywood Rd.
town of How

Please click below for the history :

Hayes - How School Page
 


Bagley East Side School
Located at County Z and Ucil Rd.
Now town of Bagley Township Hall

Photos contributed by:
Jill Gondek
Taken 2010

West Side School
Sobieski
Town of Little Suamico

Photo contributed by:
Jill Gondek
Taken 2010

Armstrong School
Church Road & North Silver Hill
Town of Mountain
(formerly town of Armstrong)
This school was named for the influential Armstrong Family land owners and eventually moved.
Note the Armstrong (now Mountain) Cemetery in the distant left of the schoolhouse.

Photo courtesy of:
 Oconto County Historical Society


Mountain High School
town of Mountain
(formerly town of Armstrong)

Photo contributed by:
Jill Gondek
Taken 2010
.
Please click below for the history :

Mountain High School Page


Busy Nook School
6484 Fireside Road

Town of Stiles

Photos contributed by:
Jill Gondek
Taken 2010
.
Please click below for the history :

Busy Nook School Page


Valley Line School
(Private Residence)

7284 Fifield Rd.
Town of Gillett,

Replaced the original wood structure school building from the 1870's. This building is the same age and design as Brick School (see below)

Photo contributed by:
Jill Gondek
Taken 2010

Goldhorn School
12089 Swenty Rd

Town of Brazeau

built 1916

Photo contributed by:
Jill Gondek
Taken 2010

Please click below for the history:

Goldhorn School Page



Meadow Brook School,
 6894 Meadow Brook Rd
Lena, WI

Photo contributed by:

Jill Gondek
Taken 2010

built in 1912
replaced the first wood construction school

Please click below for the history:

Meadow Brook
School Page

 

Pensaukee School, 
3214 Cty Rd. SS
Town of Pensaukee

Photo contributed by:
Jill Gondek 
Taken 2010
.

Article contributed by:
Larry Grady

Please click below for the history:

Pensaukee School Page


Stiles Junction School,
6095 Military Rd.
Photo contributed by:
Jill Gondek 
Taken 2010

Replaced 1898 Leigh Town School in 1912

Article contributed by:
Larry Grady

Please click below for the history:

Stiles Junction School Page


Sunny Slope School, 
6902 County Road K
Oconto Falls, WI

Photo contributed by:
Jill Gondek
Taken 2010

built in 1918
replaced the first 1894 school 

Article contributed by:
Larry Grady

Please click below for the history:

Sunny Slope School Page


Flowing Springs School, 
7693 County Road D
Sobieski

Photo contributed by:
Jill Gondek 
Taken 2010
. 

Article contributed by:
Larry Grady

Please click below for the history:

Flowing Springs School Page


South Morgan School, 
2803 County Road C
Town of Morgan

Photo contributed by:
Jill Gondek  

Article contributed by:
Larry Grady

Please click below for the history:

South Morgan School Page


Sunshine School, 
7708 Sunshine Rd.
Lena

built 1892

Photo contributed by:
Jill Gondek 
Taken 2010
.  

Article contributed by:
Larry Grady

Please click below for the history:

Sunshine School Page


Sobieski School,
 
Photo contributed by:
Jill Gondek 
Taken 2010
.

Article contributed by:
Larry Grady

Please click below for the history:

Sobieski School Page



Rector School
Town of Abrams

 contributed by:
Bob Reim

Please click below for the history and photo:

Rector School Page



Kelly Lake School
(Private Residence)
, 

contributed by:
Larry Grady

Please click below for the history:

Kelly Lake School Page


Sunny Lawn School,

Photo contributed by:
Jill Gondek 
Taken 2010
.  
 

Article contributed by:

Larry Grady

Please click below for the history:

Sunny Lawn School Page


West Klondike School,
(now Brazeau Town Hall)
Town of Brazeau 
Photo contributed by:
Jill Gondek
Taken 2010
 

History contributed by:
Larry Grady

Please click below for the history:

West Klondike School Page

Greenwood School
Was on Krueger's Quarry Road
east of County J, 

Photo contributed by:
Jill Gondek

Article contributed by:
Larry Grady

Please click below for the history:

Greenwood School Page



Hall School, 
Town of Little River
(Private Residence)

 article contributed by:
Larry Grady
and
 photos contributed by:
Pat Drees

Please click below for the history:

Hall School Page



Grignon School,  
Town of How
Built in 1879

Photo contributed by:
Jill Gondek
Taken 2010

Article contributed by:
Larry Grady

Please click below for the history:

Grignon School Page

Frank Settlement School
Town of Underhill
Photo was taken 1913

 contributed by:
Kenneth Strei
and
Larry Grady

Please click below for the history and photo:

Frank Settlement School Page

Degantown School

Photo was taken 1953-54.

 contributed by:
Larry Grady

Please click below for the history and photo:

Degantown School Page


Fairview School
,
Town of Little River

Photo contributed by:
Jill Gondek
Taken 2010


History contributed by:

Larry Grady

Please click below for the history:

Fairview School Page

Linzy Brook School
7398 Red Bank Road
town of How

Photo was taken 1991
by Jim Holl

 contributed by:
Larry Grady

Please click below for the history and photo:

Linzy Brook School Page


Four Town School
7294 County Road V
Town of Gillett

Photo contributed by:

Jill Gondek
Taken 2010

History contributed by:
Larry Grady

Please click below for the history:

Four Town School Page
 

Brick School

Photo contributed by:
Jill Gondek  
taken 2010

The original school was built in 1870,, this is the second school building was erected in 1920, three miles south of Brookside and three fourths of a mile East of County Trunk J.

 contributed by:
Larry Grady

Please click below for the history and photo:

Brick School Page



Chase Central School

County C and County S

Located about seven miles northeast of Pulaski on the corner of county trunk roads and district number six in the town of Chase.
 photo courtesy of:
Oconto County Genealogical Society

History contributed by:
Larry Grady

Please click below for the history:


Chase Central School Page


Claywood School
11502 Claywood 
town of Maple Valley

built 1903
 article contributed by:
Larry Grady

photos contributed by:

Jill Gondek & RITA

Please click below for the history and photo:

Claywood School Page

Couillardville School

Photo contributed by:
Jill Gondek  
taken 2010

Located about 7 miles west of Oconto on County Trunk J., 

 contributed by:
Larry Grady

Please click below for the history:

Couillardville School Page


 
Apple Orchard School

Photos contributed by:
Carolyn [Ruege] Gipp
and Larry Gipp
and
Jill Gondek

 Article contributed by:
Larry Grady

Please click below for the history :

Apple Orchard School Page

 
Morgan  Central School
County C and Wahl Lane

Photo contributed by:
Sharon Van Ark

 Article contributed by:
Larry Grady

Please click below for the history and photo:

Morgan Central School Page

Good Cheer School

509 Jaworski Rd.
Chase, Wi

Photo by Tom Rymer
Times Herald Page 
9 December 1977

photo courtesy of:
Oconto County Genealogical Society




Birch Grove School

Photo contributed by:
Jill Gondek
Taken 2010

 History contributed by:
Larry Grady

Please click below for the history :

Birch Grove School Page
 

Louisville School, 

 Article contributed by:
Larry Grady

Please click below for the
 history and  photo:


 

McDowell School
(Private Residence)

town of Little River,
 

 contributed by:
Larry Grady

Please click below for the history and  photo:

McDowell School Page

Low Valley School
town of Lena,
 

 contributed by:
Ellen Burmeister

Please click below for the history and  photo:

Low Valley School Page

Maple Grove School
(2010 0n the left)

  Article vcontributed by:
Larry Grady

Please click below for the history and  photo:

Maple Grove School Page

Jefferson School
Second Street
Oconto 
 

Photographs and information
contributed by: Lee Rockwell

Please click below for the history and  photo:

Jefferson School Page


Goldfield School
town of Brazeau,
 
(Private Residence)

Photographs and information
contributed by: Jean Grosse

and
Larry Grady

Please click below for the history and  photo:

Goldfield School Page




Abrams School
Abrams,
 

Photo contributed by:
Jill Gondek .

Please click below for the history and  photo:

Abrams School Page

Knowles School
6504 County Road E
Town of Abrams

built 1901 

 contributed by:
Laurie J. Wieber-Martins
and
Larry Grady

Please click below for the history and  photo:

Knowles School Page


Stiles School
Photo date unknown, but certainly near or over 100 years old.
There are 71 people on the photo,
including the teachers. 

Contributed by: John Larson
and
Larry Grady

Stiles School Page

Pershing School,
 contributed by: Jilaine
and
Larry Grady

Please click below for the history and  photos:

Pershing School Page

Hickory School,
 contributed by:Rick Hidde

The building no longer exists

Please click below for the history and  photos:

Hickory School Page

St. John School Hayes,

Please click below for the history and  photos:

St. John School Hayes Page

Spring Hill School
Spring Hill School is located Northeast of Gillett on County Hwy G, about 2 miles north of Hwy 22.
Photo from the Mark Cota Collection

Please click below for the history and  photos:

Spring  Hill School Page

 

Baumgardner School
16950 LaFave Rd.
Town of Lakewood 

This log school was built primarily for the children of the children of loggers working the area and was abandoned as the crews moved on. It stood in the open field until 1923 when it was destroyed by fire.

Photo courtesy of:
 Oconto County Historical Society

Sunny Brook School,

contributed by: Jilaine
Michael Dionne

Larry Grady

Please click below for the history and  photos:

Sunny Brook School Page

Breed Central School
(also known as 
Griebler's School House)

contributed by: Bill Fonferek
 Located at what was Old Highway 32 and Fonferek Road (now Central and North Branch Road).  

Please click below for the history and  photos:

Breed Central School Page

Mountain Graded School
C: 1896
contributed by:
  John Green
Please click below for the history and  photos:

Mountain Graded School Page


Oconto Falls High School
.

contributed by:
Carolyn King Laskowski
 
  Please click below for the history and  photos: 

  


Elm Lawn School
(Private Residence)
5301 Elm Lawn Rd.
Town of Oconto Falls 
2004
contributed by: Richard Labrosse

Elm Lawn School Page



 Suring Graded School -
Taken 1909

Please click below for the history and  photos: 

Suring School Page



Logan School
 Located north of Suring near Breed.
contributed by:
 Bill Fonferek

Please click below for the history and  photos:

Logan School Page


Oconto Falls High School
1908
From the Collection of Enid Gustin Keaton
contributed by: George Keaton

Please click below for the history and  photos:

Oconto Falls High School Page

Spruce Schoolhouse 7904 County Road A
Lena, Wisconsin

photo contributed by:
Bill Fonferek

Please click below for the history and  photos:

Spruce School Page

Gillett High School
C: 1912
contributed by:
Rita

Please click below for the history and  photos:

Gillett School Page

Lena School 

1916 - Students play baseball during recess. In the center of the very left side you can see just the roof edge of the original one room schoolhouse was located where the present grade school now stands. The barn at far right was on the Ted Wilford farm.
contributed by:
Carolyn King Laskowski
Please click below for the history and  photos:
Lena School Page

 


 

Brookside School

Building Remodeled and Redecorated
1937
photos contributed by:Jill Gondek
Publication
Contributed by Dorothy Hagemann

History contributed by:
Larry Grady

Please click below for the history and  photos:

Brookside School Page
 



Kadlec - Spruce School
in the Town of Spruce -
corner of County M & B
Contributed by
Bill Fonferek
and

Larry Grady

Please click below for the history and  photos:

Kadlec School Page

2nd school house
built in 1884

Gillett 
 First Schoolhouse built in 1865
and
Other Gillett Schools

Please click below for the history and  photos:

Gillett School Page


Map drawing of the Hart Store building also housing the first city school. Built in 1851 it was torn down in 1880.
Please click below for the history and  photos:
City of Oconto High School Graduates 1886-1941
City of Oconto Schools Main Page

Elm Grove School
6608 Elm Grove School Road
Town of Oconto

built in 1927
replaced an earlier building

Elm Grove School Page

Cottonwood Grove Schoolhouse
 Little Suamico

1892-1961
Contributed by Gerrie Foster

Please click below for the history and  photos:

Cottonwood Grove School Page

Victory School

Highway 22 and J
contributed by: Pat Drees
 

Please click below for the history and  photos:

Victory School Page

 First Frostville School,
town of Maple Valley
Built in 1878 at the corner of County M and Z.
Photo from the Bruce Paulson Collection

Frostville School Page

Beaver Lake School 
County Trunk B
town of Oconto Falls

Photo contributed by:

Jill Gondek
Taken 2010

Built in 1917 this building replaced an earlier wood construction schoolhouse.

Beaver Lake School Page



Oak School 
County Road K
Spruce, WI

Photo 1913

Built in 1903 this building replaced  a smaller brick and timber structure built in 1893 by reusing matterials.

Oak School Page

Morgan School #2
County "E" & "C"

replaced log school in 1885
later converted to a church

Morgan Log School

Built in 1876.
This building no longer exists.

Morgan School Page

Schools In Old Oconto County
(before the 1880 county split)
and
now near the county border.
(where county children lived close and attended)


Pound School,

Marinette County
Town of Pound
Roosevelt School System

Photo contributed by:

Jill Gondek
Taken 2010
Oconto County Reporter
March 6, 1903

The house owned by A. F. Gissenaas and occupied by Arthur Cole was destroyed by fire last Friday night. The fire was caused by the breaking of a lamp and it spread so rapidly that nothing could be saved. The family narrowly escaped. Miss May Birr, our school teacher, took an active part in rescuing the children.


Coleman School,

Marinette County

Photo contributed by:
Jill Gondek
Taken 2010



BACK TO THE OCONTO COUNTY HOME PAGE