County WIGenWeb Project
and posted by Oconto
County WIGenWeb Project
and posted by RITA
site is exclusively for the free access of individual researchers.
No profit may be made by any person, business or organization through
reproduction, presentation or links
OCONTO COUNTY SCHOOLS
of Morgan and Abram
is the 28th in a series of
articles sponsored by the Oconto County Teacher's Association to
promote better public relations in the schools of our county.
from the 1953 news article below)
Lightning, Fire Sped Changes In Morgan and
The South Morgan School Dt.
Dist. No. 7, located about one mile north of Sampson on County Trunk C,
is a joint district made up of the towns of Morgan and Abrams.
SOUTH MORGAN SCHOOL and
FLOWING SPRINGS SCHOOL
This district was organized
about 1903. Up until this time they had been attending school at
Morgan, but due to the crowded conditions changes had to be made.
According to information from some earlier settlers, Hiram Gilcrece
donated one acre of land for the schoolground. The first school board
composed of Levi Cleveland. Frank Havlik, Sr.. and Charles Benning
together with the residents of the district erected the first wooden
The interior furnishings were
typical of all the first schools, namely, few textbooks and maps, an
old fashioned stove that would be either too hot or too cold, the
kerosene lamp, and few if any library books.
Some of the first teachers were Mary
Volk, Nellie Couillard and Nellie Brewer, who taught for about $35 a
Due to the increasing
enrollment. which reached 57 to 60 at times, an addition was made to
the original structure in 1919. The tuition for non-resident students
was one dollar, but in 1923 it was voted not to accept any more tuition
pupils due to the enlarging enrollment. They also voted at this meeting
to "bank the school" in the fall to help keep the building warm (putting soil and/or straw up against
the foundation for insulation in winter).
A well was drilled in 1924
which eliminated the carrying of water from Hugo Delzer's, a nearby
neighbor. In 1829-30 a metal roof replaced the worn shingle roof and a
fence was erected to maintain the sides of the school yard. About 1937
the old woodshed was razed and a concrete one replaced it. A stall was
included to "house" the teacher's car, which was greatly appreciated by
all the future teachers.
In l941 the school ground was
leveled and seeded and in 1943 electric lights were installed.
In the spring of 1948, the
school was struck by lightning, luckily on a Sunday while classes
weren't in session, and as a result the interior walls were covered
with wallboard, which greatly improved its appearance. In the fall an
oil burner was installed and other improvements added since that time
are: a radio which brings us many good school programs, some new desks,
table and chairs, an electric clock, new shades, balls for the
playground, a film strip projector, "and a fine new screen.
Only one child in the school
has to be transported, but during the winter and on any other inclement
days fathers and mothers of all the children, anxious to keep them
healthy and comfortable, transport their children themselves. The rest
of the year they ride to school on bicycles. The present
enrollment is 18.
Some of the former teachers
were Agatha Leonard, Estelle Peot, Irene Ama, Marie McDermid, Theresa
Steffeck, Harvey Wetzel, Ruby Kingston, Lyllas Gilligan, Mildred
Beissell, Edith Drews, Arnita Schroeder and Ruth Fuller.
In 1944, the Flowing Springs
School Dt. 7, towns of Chase and Abrams. located about 1 3/4 miles east
of Sampson on County Trunk D, was annexed to the South Morgan District.
This school was built about 1916, when the need for a school in the
vicinity was felt. The first board members were Walter Stazsek, clerk;
John Oljeski, director; Mr. Rowell, treasurer. The first teacher was
Miss Elsie Werry and she taught a nine month term for $40 a month.
Some of the improvements made
in this school are: an oil burner, a radio, an electric clock, a movie
screen, and a strip projector used with the other school, which was
acquired with the money raised at a dance sponsored by the teachers and
the school board.
The present school board
members are Mrs. Oscar Belongia, clerk; Mrs. Norman Birr, treasurer;
and Mrs. Neil Rymer, director. The teachers are Mrs. Myrtle Volk and
Mrs. Laura Berken.
TO THE OCONTO COUNTY SCHOOLS HOME PAGE
TO THE OCONTO
COUNTY HOME PAGE