School was in use in the 1880s and was still found on the 1898 and 1905 town
of Chase plat maps. By 1912 it was no longer in use. It's location was
southeast of the village of Sampson, in town of Chase on what was the
L. Blaser property, section 3.
There is an old
metal pipe near the road, possibly part of the well pipe pictured in
front of the boys standing on the left of the photo. The pipe stands
along the north side of "C" and is now used as a fence post
at the spot where the school once stood.
Sampson school was replaced in
Fall of 1905 by North Chase School at the corner of Holowinski Road and County
Road "C" when town of Chase decided to build three new schools due to increasing population,
originally named North,
Central and South. These three schools would cover the east side of
town of Chase. Lincoln, Sunny Side and Good Cheer would cover the west
side of the township.
Although there is some local lore that says North Chase - Roosevelt
School was built in 1908, school records show classes being held in the
building in the Fall of 1905. Other descendants of local residents
remember being told that Sampson School was open until the Spring of
1905, closing at the end of the 1904 - 1905 term. To save the expense
of constructing a new building when Sampson School building was not
old, during the Summer of 1905 a new foundation for Sampson School
building was constructed at the Holowinski and County "C" Roads corner
and the building was moved east along highway "C" to that new spot. The
building was then renamed North Chase School.
The North Chase School was later renamed Roosevelt
School in 1908 after then president Theodore Roosevelt was elected. As
attendance dropped to the point that Roosevelt School could no longer
be kept open, it was closed in 1940. The following year it was sold and
moved to the city of Pulaski, being used as a doctor's office until
being remodeled into a private residence. Please see the Roosevelt School for more details: