County WIGenWeb Project
and posted by Oconto
County WIGenWeb Project
and posted by RITA
site is exclusively for the free access of individual researchers.
No profit may be made by any person, business or organization through
reproduction, presentation or links
OCONTO COUNTY SCHOOLS
of Little Suamico
Now being used as Little Suamico Town Hall
from the 1953 news article below)
and Sobieski Schools
SOBIESKI STATE GRADED SCHOOL
Featured In This Week's Article On Co. Schools
This is the fifth of a series of articles prepared by the Oconto
Teachers Association to promote better public relations in the schools
of Oconto County.
Sobieski — School District
No. 3 of Little Suamico was organized in 1894. Loretta McDonald was the
first teacher at the one-room school one mile North of Sobieski
Corners. Her wages were $25, and the enrollment was 26. Mrs. George
Grosse, Little Suamico, was the only other teacher at this school. The
first schoolhouse is now the home of the Milton McDowells.
The new school site, 3/4 mile west of Sobieski Corners, was voted on in
July of 1903. The first school was built by the Forrestal Bros.,
Oconto, in 1903. Blanche Whitcomb was the first teacher. The board
included H. A. Whitcomb, McGregor and C. DeLano.
In 1911, the enrollment had grown so that a second room was needed. By
1912, two brick rooms were added on the old wood building. The teachers
were getting about $55 a month from a board consisting of John Hernet
and Richard Krause. The third member is not known.
Two years of high school were added in 1925. The old Post Office, owned
by Richard Krause across the street, was put to use.
Teachers were H. A.
Melcher (Mrs. Hidde), Mr. Ward Gillett, and Florence Pelky (Mrs., Ray
Truskowski). The enrollment! of the entire school was about 160. Four
years later the high school closed.
The opening of a
Polish Parochial school in 1928, brought the enrollment in the public
school down so that in 1932 with an enrollment of 8, it became a one room school
again. Miss Mary Pomperovitz (Mrs. Nelson) was the teacher.
Enrollment increased by 1939 so that it was necessary to use the second
Today's enrollment is 67. The board includes I. J. Galikowski, Andrew
Vollmer and Tony Mielcarek. Mrs. Celia Milewski, Krakow, teaches the
primary room, and Miss Rosemary Neumeier, Oconto, has the upper grades.
This year the district has expanded to include District Number 5 and
part of District Number 4. Children outside the radius of 2 miles are
Water was put into the school last year. A new oil furnace was
installed this year.
TO THE OCONTO COUNTY SCHOOLS HOME PAGE
TO THE OCONTO
COUNTY HOME PAGE