St John School - Hayes
Highway "M" west of Suring in old Hayes village
ST. JOHN'S LUTHERAN SCHOOL
St. John's Lutheran School first started with no school building. In the late 1800's, children went to the Pastor's home for religious education and German study for two or three days a week. In 1906 we find records of a regularly-hired teacher, Miss Lydia Markworth who taught for two years, each term being only 3 months long. The teachers' salary at that time amounted to the sum of money the pastor could collect from the congregation. Miss Markworth was paid $133 for the first term. She taught in the old log church which had been removed from its original site to the spot where the school is now.
In 1913 a new brick, one room school house was built. The school term expanded from a 3 month period to a 6 month period until 1926 when it became a full 9 month school term. Each teacher was obligated to furnish instruction in Bible readings, catechism and teach reading, writing and speaking in German. The teachings at that time were based entirely on German theories of education up to this point. Most children discontinued their education after the eighth grade.
In 1926 the German school became a Christian Day School with both religious and secular subjects being taught and which met all state requirements like any public school. Miss Emma Donath was hired to teach for a full term of nine months, all grades from first to eighth and to teach not only religion and German, but all standard public school subjects as well.