Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
Collected and posted by Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
Collected and posted by RITA
This site is exclusively for the free access of individual researchers.
* No profit may be made by any person, business or organization through publication, reproduction, presentation or links
to this site.

HISTORIC OCONTO COUNTY SCHOOLS
Stiles Junction School
(originally Leigh Town School)
Town of  Stiles
Oconto County, Wisconsin

Please click on the photos for a larger view.




This is the second school built, in 1912, in the Northwest corrner of section 23 on Military Road.
The first wood frame structure was Leigh Town School
 built on highway 22 in section 24 in 1898 and had 112 students.

Photos contributed by:

Jill Gondek
Taken 2010
Please click on the photos for a larger view.


Photos contributed by:
Jill Gondek
Taken 2010

STILES JUNCTION SCHOOL
(originally Leigh Town School)

contributed by:
Larry Grady

(transcribed from the 1953 news article below found in his late mother's scrapbook)

Facts furnished by Mr. Hendernon


Stiles Jct. — Stiles Junction School, being district number two, township of Stiles, consisting of Sections 13, 23 and 24, and the south half of Sections 12. 14, 15 and 22. The present brick school house, erected in 1912, is located on the old Military Road in the Northwest corner of Section 23. The present brick structure replaced a smaller frame building which was located in the Southeast part of the school district, in Section 24 on what is now known as U. S. Highway 22. The district then was much larger, consisting of Sections 12, 13, 14, 15. 22, 23. 24 and 25. It was then about the year 1898, that the enrollment reached a total of 102. This included a number of pupils who lived in the Town of Oconto and attended school here. The old school was known as the Leigh Town school, named for the three families of Leighs — John, Joseph and Thomas — who settled this little hamlet on the west bank of Little River and where John Leigh owned and operated a grist mill and store. The people came from great distances to this mill to have their grain ground. In those early days the grain was hauled to the mill by horses or oxen, sometimes requiring two days to make the trip.

Two members of the first school board were Angus McAllister and John Leigh, who served without pay. Some of the early teachers were: Margaret Appleby, Joseph Volk, James McKeever and Edward Griffen, who later taught in Milwaukee county and became County Superintendent of Schools there.

It is related that at this school, just before one Christmas, the scholars, following the tradition of ancient days, barricaded the door and kept the teacher outside until he agreed to furnish cake and pies for a Chrjstmas treat. He protested against this demand contending that his pay was only $10.00 per month. He finally effected a compromise by agreeing to supply whiskey and sugar. After the compact, had been entered into, the door was opened and the teacher came in and resumed his authority and the school work went on as though there had been no interruption.

Among the pupils enrolled in this first school were young men who commenced to learn their alphabet, and afterwards obtained sufficient education to enable them to become teachers or to conduct business.

In this first school heat was furnished by a rectangular wood stove, long enough to admit a four foot stick of wood. The room equipped with a blackboard running across one end of the room, a chart to teach the first grade reading, a few maps and a globe. The seats and desks were wide enough to seat two pupils. The district now boasts of her fine commodious structure equipped with an oil heater, electric lights, modern seats and a radio.

The present school grounds comprise one acre of land which are dry and well kept. They also have a number of shade trees, making them very attractive. Playground equipment is also furnished the pupils. This includes swings, a merry-go-round, and basket ball. No equipment of this nature was furnished the old school.

The present school board is composed of Arthur Schroeder, clerk; Frank Seeman, treasurer; and Bert Dumas, director. The present teacher is Mrs. Pat Jones   

 



BACK TO THE OCONTO COUNTY SCHOOLS HOME PAGE

BACK TO THE OCONTO COUNTY HOME PAGE