Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
Collected and posted by Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
Collected and posted by RITA
This site is exclusively for the free access of individual researchers.
* No profit may be made by any person, business or organization through publication, reproduction, presentation or links
to this site.

HISTORIC OCONTO COUNTY SCHOOLS
 Sunny Lawn School
Town of Underhill and Gillett
Oconto County, Wisconsin



Photo contributed by:
Jill Gondek 
Taken 2010
. 

Article contributed by:
Larry Grady

(transcribed from the 1953 news article below)

  THE SUNNY LAWN SCHOOL

The Sunny Lawn school, Joint District Number 4, which is a joint district of the Towns of Underhill and Gillett, is located in Township 28, Range 17 East, the Town of Underbill, Section 12.

The history of the school can be recalled from the year 1888. The school board at that time was composed of August Weber as clerk, Rasmus Larsen as director and Andrew Larsen as treasurer. The teacher at that time was a Mr. Monahan who taught a term of nine months for $15 dollars a month. The county superintendent was O. B. Parisey.

By the year 1907 the wages of the teacher had increased to $60.00 a month for a school term of nine months. The teacher that year was Roy Mansfield. The school board at that time was  August Weber as clerk, Fred Larsen as treasurer, and Fred Bubolz as director. The county superintendent was Ellen B. McDonald.

The school was electrified about seven years ago. A new oil furnace was installed in the fall of 1951. Up to that time a large wood-burning stove was used. A new radio was purchased this fall. The interior of the building was painted during the summer.

The school board at this time consists of Arnold Jensen, who is clerk, Herman Stern, treasurer, and Lester Schuettpelz, director. The present teacher is Mrs. Alfred Str





BACK TO THE OCONTO COUNTY SCHOOLS HOME PAGE

BACK TO THE OCONTO COUNTY HOME PAGE