County WIGenWeb Project
and posted by Oconto
County WIGenWeb Project
and posted by RITA
site is exclusively for the free access of individual researchers.
No profit may be made by any person, business or organization through
reproduction, presentation or links
OCONTO COUNTY SCHOOLS
of Little River
from the 1953 news article below)
Sunshine School District dumber
One was formed in the year of 1881,
as District Number Five of Little River. It is located two miles West
of Lena on County Trunk A. The first school board consisted of C. W.
Halstead, and R. Cashman the other officers.
The original log school
benches were built in 1882, on the present
plot of land by F. Pellessier who also taught the first term. The rest
of the school term being taught by E. L. Widger and Jennie Grandie.
When the school was built
was on land belonging to Holt. The
District did not acquire title to this property till May 1892. In the
fall of 1892. Sol Pelkey was awarded a $500.00 contract to build a new
school. The old school was used while the new one was being built. It
was of wooden exterior, painted red and in 1909 it was refinished with
brick veneer. At present it is finished with wood siding and painted
The present school board
consists of Alvin Glime, Director; Loyd
Kieffer. Clerk; Paul Magle, Tresurer. The present teacher is Miss
When the new school was
a large type stove was installed which
burned wood. Wood in the year of 1896 sold for about 95cents a cord.
we have a modern oil burner that keeps the school at even temperature
day and night. About 1930 a group of ladies in the District gave a
home talent play and bought a piano for the school as well as dishes
and cooking utensiles.
The first County
Superintendent was Mr. Gilkey and the supervising
teacher Miss Birr. They had
nine months of school the first year, divided into three terms;
fall, winter, and spring.
In 1944 to 1946 the
School was voted closed and the children
conveyed to the Lena School. Then in 1946 they consolidated with Meadow
Brook and the pupils came to the Sunshine District. The Meadow Brook
School is now used as a Community Club House.
Throughout the years
improvements have been added, such as a basement,
larger playground, playground equipment, water system, indoor plumbing,
and a new floor.
TO THE OCONTO COUNTY SCHOOLS HOME PAGE
TO THE OCONTO
COUNTY HOME PAGE