Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
Collected and posted by Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
Collected and posted by RITA
This site is exclusively for the free access of individual researchers.
* No profit may be made by any person, business or organization through publication, reproduction, presentation or links to this site.

Oconto County, Wisconsin

SURING SCHOOLS


Suring School 1903

There were 38 students and one teacher. Suring  students no longer had to walk up  the steep "Plank Hill" to attend classes hat Hayes School. This original part of the building was eventually used as the home economics department of Suring High School in the 1970's. All parts and additions of the brick school have been removed in recent years.



The original arched doorway of the 1903 first brick Suring School (below) was retained when the new second additions were added to the wings in 1913. Between this larger version and the original,  the second floor, new tower and small side wings had been added in 1909 to accommodate a rapidly growing school population.




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Suring School District - Local History
published in 1979

Prior to the building of the Suring School, children had to walk up the hill to attend classes in the Hayes School which is now the Hayes Community Building.

It was not until 1903 that it was thought necessary for Suring to have an educational system of its own. The first meeting of the present school district was held on April 20, 1903 to elect officers and to procure a suitable site for a school building. At this meeting over which Christ Daniels presided, they chose as school board members, Harry F. Smith as Clerk, John Dieck as Treasurer and Cornelius Serier as Director. They also voted to raise $391.00 for maintaining the school. Mr. Dieck served continuously as school treasurer from 1903 until July 1928 when he refused to accept the office again.

Almost immediately a purchase of land was made from Louis Rollman, although through some flaw in the title it was necessary later to make a similar purchase from the former owner. A one room brick schoolhouse was soon erected.

Miss Ella Hanson was the first teacher to take charge in this little brick schoolhouse. At that time teachers were paid $40 per month and had to make sure the fire was going every morning and that there was plenty of drinking water on hand. The school year began on October 4, 1903, with the following students: Roy Dieck, Carrie Dieck Winger, William Nelson, Meta Giese Stuewer and Clara Grunnewaldt Wilson.

By 1908 the growth of Suring demanded an addition to the building, so a second story was added. The first teachers to occupy the two-room school were Kate Taylor as principal and upper grade teacher at a salary of $45 per month and Caroline Krause as lower grade teacher who was paid $40 a month.

Later in 1913 the eastern section of the building was added. The larger assembly hall with the science laboratory, the lavatories and furnace room beneath was built in 1938. A gymnasium, shower rooms and two classrooms were added in 1950. Four classrooms, an office and an Ag. Shop were added to the west side of the building in 1955. In 1960 an extensive addition was made hich included seven additional classrooms, offices, two science labs, a library, a cafeteria and restrooms. In 1962 a new gym, the music rooms and Industrial Arts Shop were added.

Suring High School Graduates
Class of 1930


PLEASE CLICK ON THE PHOTO FOR A LARGER VIEW

Suring School 1903

Suring School 1909

Suring School 1913
Additions made to both sides and tower rebuilt.

Suring School 1979
Tower removed and gymnasium added.

 
Suring Girls Team - 1922-23

Suring High School Girls Basketball Team 1922-1923 Left to right pictured are Arlene (Arveson) McDermid, Mary (Lindl) Nelessen, Myrtle (Stock) Wicke, Hazel (King) Johnson, Clarice ??? , Mildred (Gerald) Wilcox and the coach Miss Spink.
 contributed by:

Carolyn Laskowski
 Suring Boys Team - 1922-23

 Bottom Row L-R
Melvin Zingler, Joe Wolfe, Leonard (Sam) Yakel, Frank Wolfe, Clarence (Brownie) McMahon
 Back Row: Elvin (Mickey) MIkkelson, Leslie Nelson and Principal Otto Bacher..
 contributed by:

Carolyn Laskowski



BACK TO THE OCONTO COUNTY HOME PAGE