Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
Collected and posted by Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
Collected and posted by RITA
This site is exclusively for the free access of individual researchers.
* No profit may be made by any person, business or organization through publication, reproduction, presentation or links
to this site.

HISTORIC OCONTO COUNTY SCHOOLS
 Wilson School
School Street
Townsend
Oconto County, Wisconsin

Woodrow Wilson School - Wilson Consolidated School

Built 1919  Closed 1976

Thomas Woodrow Wilson

photo 1919
Dec. 28, 1856 – Feb. 3, 1924
 28th President of the United States,
1913 to 1921.

The settlement now named Townsend was originally called Johnson Siding after the man who drove the first railroad spike there and was a part of the town of Wheeler until 1916 when that township was split into towns of Lakewood and Townsend.

The first Townsend school was built at the site of a later dancehall, "picture show" and store. Another log school replaced it in the nearby, and larger, settlement of Coleville. Children of Townsend and another village of Unity Center attended school there after Unity Center's own log school was also closed, and continued to do so in that log Coleville building until the new frame school was built as a replacement.

Shortly after the new frame school was built, the mill in Coleville closed and the population of that settlement was leaving, so the frame school was moved to Townsend, where the children of the whole area attended. This building later became St. John Lutheran Church.


The new brick school opened and replaced the Townsend School which closed in 1919.

Oconto County Reporter
Sept. 20 1962


 
Among the 47 enrolled students at Townsend’s Wilson school, according to Mrs. Joe Bacon, are 10 new first graders. They are Ted Estreen, Jay Oleson, Karen Larsen, Steven Maloney, Brian McCarthy, Janet Ouellette, Jerrie Posselt, Juanita Seeber, Florence Wamego and Cathleen Kelm.


BACK TO THE OCONTO COUNTY SCHOOLS HOME PAGE

BACK TO THE OCONTO COUNTY HOME PAGE