Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
Collected and posted by RITA
This site is exclusively for the free access of individual researchers.
* No profit may be made by any person, business or organization through publication, reproduction, presentation or links
to this site.

HISTORIC OCONTO COUNTY CHURCHES
Wisconsin


.Abrams German Methodist Episcopal Church .

Built 1883

Researched, written and contributed by Bob Reim

The German Methodist Episcopal Church of Abrams was  located two miles west of Abrams at the NE corner of the intersection of County D and what today is Sandalwood Road and Reim Road.   The location of a church at this site was identified on Oconto County plat maps of 1898, 1905 and 1912 on land that surrounded by  the Charles Schliep farm in Section 33 Township 27 Range 20.  The original church, built in 1883, was struck by lightning and burned to the ground in 1901, but was rebuilt.  Based on baptismal records of the Reim Family, the pastor in 1886 was Rev. Heinrich Karnopp and during the years 1918 – 1921, Rev J. F. Brandt served as pastor.  As the church served the German immigrant population, services were conducted in the German language.   Membership included family names of Feldt, Reim and Schliep among others.


Real Photo Post Card No. 126 Showing German Methodist Episcopal Church c1900 - 1910.
 
It is likely the church was white or off-white in color with reddish trim on the windows and frame.



Real Photo Post Card No. 126 Showing German Methodist Episcopal Church c1900 - 1910. 
Abrams German Methodist Episcopal Church With Congregation on a Wintery Day, c1900 - 1910. Hulda Reim and Reinhold A Reim are the fourth and fifth persons right of the central figure on the step.  Note the differences relative to photo No.126 namely a closed steeple,  over-painted steeple roof and no downspout over the entry area.



Original Abrams Methodist Episcopal Church 1910. (from Dennis Kohlman collection,    photo by Roy Hannan.   The photo indicates the pastor was Rev. Geo. A. Tennant, Abrams Photo Page

In 1939, various Methodist Episcopal and Methodist Protestant denominations merged and the German Methodist Episcopal Church became known as the Country Methodist Church or Abrams Country Methodist Church.  Also by this time, the use of German had phased out.  In 1947, the members of the Country Methodist Church began consolidation with members of the Abrams Methodist Church and the Brookside Community Methodist Church.   Built in 1897 and located north of the corner of Brookside Road and Co. J, the Brookside Community Church had been closed, sold and moved.   The members had transferred to the Abrams Methodist Church.  In 1950,  the Country Methodist Church building was moved to Abrams and added to the existing Abrams Methodist Church building becoming the sanctuary part of the new church building (Abrams Methodist Church  Page).    The new structure retained some characteristics of each original structure; namely, the Gothic stained glass triple window of the German Methodist Episcopal Church and a modified bell tower and main structure of the Abrams Methodist Church. 




 Abrams Union Methodist Church on Elm Street 1951.
The original German Methodist Episcopal Church building, with gothic stained glass windows is on the left.





BACK TO THE COUNTY HISTORIC CHURCHES PHOTO PAGE

BACK TO THE OCONTO COUNTY HOME PAGE