Search billions of records on

Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
Collected and posted by RITA
This site is exclusively for the free access of individual researchers.
* No profit may be made by any person, business or organization through publication, reproduction, presentation or links
to this site.


 Abrams Methodist Church

Researched, written and contributed by Bob Reim

 Abrams Union Methodist Church on Elm Street 1951. The original German Methodist Episcopal Church building that was moved and attached in 1950 is on the left.

In 1939, various Methodist Episcopal and Methodist Protestant denominations merged (1) and the German Methodist Episcopal Church became known as the Country Methodist Church or Abrams Country Methodist Church.  Also by this time, the use of German had phased out.  In 1947, the members of the Country Methodist Church began consolidation with members of the Abrams Methodist Church and the Brookside Community Methodist Church.   Built in 1897 and located north of the corner of Brookside Road and Co. J, the Brookside Community Church had been closed,  sold and moved.   The members had transferred to the Abrams Methodist Church.  In 1950,  the Country Methodist Church building, originally the German Methodist Episcopal Church (German Methodist Episcopal Church Photo Page), was moved to Abrams and added to the existing Abrams Methodist Church building becoming the sanctuary part of the new church building.   The original Abrams Methodist Church building was divided into classrooms and the interior was finished with knotty pine paneling.  The new structure retained some characteristics of each original structure; namely, the Gothic stained glass triple window of the Country Methodist Church and a modified bell tower and main structure of the Abrams Methodist Church.  Significant changes were made by replacing most of the original stained glass windows, eliminating the steeple  and adding an external door to the expanded basement/kitchen area.  The newly combined building was consecrated on September 26, 1951 and became the Abrams Union Methodist Church.

Real Photo Post Card No. 126 Showing German Methodist Episcopal Church c1900 - 1910. In 1950 this building was moved and attached to the existing Abrams Methodist Church building becoming the sanctuary part of the new church building.  It is seen at the left in the photo below.

 Abrams Union Methodist Church  c1960s. 
Churches Photo History Page

In 1968 the Evangelical United Brethren denomination and the Methodist denomination merged and the church was renamed the Abrams United Methodist Church consistent with the new United Methodist Church.   Over the next decades, many building  improvements were made including a covered entry to the building and basement, enclosure of the bell tower, replacement of many large windows,  a cross on the front building,  landscaping and a memorial sign and planter. 

In early 2008, a Special Task Force Study recommended to discontinue the Abrams United Methodist Church due to changes in the culture and sociology of the area and increased mobility of  people.   Physical condition of the building and aging of the church community were additional  factors in the recommendation.  In April 2008, at a special  church conference,  a majority of the membership  voted to discontinue the church.  On June 29, 2008, at 10:00 AM,  the final service was held and the Abrams United Methodist Church was closed after more than 115 years of ministry in the Abrams area.  All church records were transferred to the United Methodist Church Conference at Sun Prairie, WI for archival.


1.  United Methodist Church Historical Archives, United Methodist Church Conference, Sun Prairie, WI.

Abrams United Methodist Church April 2008.