Taken from the Oconto County Reporter Local History series, 1971.
The white frame Evangelical United Brethern Church was built just outside Hayes by charter members in 1885. This building no longer stands.
Taken from the "Local History" booklet - Suring School System, date unknown
The Evangelical United Bretheran Church of Hayes was sold and the congregation joined to the Suring Methodist congregation in June of 1967. The bell from the E. U. B. church in Hayes was placed at the Suing church as a memorial to the late Clara Gerndt and Mrs. Mary Suring in 1970. The bell was originally donated to the E. U. B. church in the late 1880's by Herman and Mary Hankwitz, early storekeepers in Hayes.