St. John's Congregation was organized by German settlers in 1873. For several years the congregation worshipped in the homes of members, and there was no full-time pastor. The first regular pastor was Rev. H. Block, who served from 1885 to 2886. During the 102 years of it's existence, St. John's had been associated with churches at Morgan, Chase, Kunesh, Abrams, Brookside and Oconto. Beginning in 1905 it was served by a pastor from the Wisconsin Synod, and in 1954 the church bcame part of the American Lutheran Church.
In addition to it's first pastor, Rev. Bock, St. John's has been served by at least 16 other pastor's (records are missing for the years 1897 to 1903). Among them were H. Ricke, 1886- 87; F. Proehl, 1887- 92; Allamshah, 1892-94; F. Ohlrogge, Sr., 1894- 97; William Heidke, 1903-07; William Ulrick, 1907-11; K. Geirer, 1911-15; Paul Eggert, 1915- 47; C. Krug, 1947- 49; Albrecht, 1949 - 51; W. Lindsey, 1951- 56; Evan Clarke, 1956- 62; Arthur Matzke, 1962- 63; Ronald Pechauer, 1963- 65; Rev. T. S. Hanson. In 1965 Rev. David Magnuson was called to serve the parish, and since November 1971 to the present (1975) the parish had been served by Rev. John C. Kilde.
There are presently 185 baptized members in the congregation (1975), which has a full program of Christian Education for children and adults. The parish has a full slate of services and special services, throughout the year. There are about 40 children and seven teachers in the Sunday School, and Vacation Church School is held each year.
For ninety years (1885) the church of our fathers, a
of it's day, served the congregation for it's worship requirements. A
years ago a schoolhouse was puchased and remodeled into a parish hall
a small house for a parsonage was acquired. For many years, however, a
sense of need for a new church facility was felt by a growing number in
the congregation. A permant Future Planning Committee was elected some
years ago and in the spring of this year (1975) the
voted to build a new church.