original structure for the Scandinavian
Lutheran Church was built in the early 1890's in the town's original
at the top of the rocky "mountain" outcroping and was the public
The town "slide" downhill to it's present location after 1897 when the
railroad chose that route, and sold the building to the
Members of the congregation were Norwegian and Danish and eventually
with the local Swedish Lutheran Church to form the Tabor Lutheran
Taken from the "Local History" Booklet - Suring School System, year unknown.
Tabor Lutheran Church was organized in 1904 as the Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church. At first, worship services were held in the homes of the members, but it was soon decided to begin work on a church building. Construction began in the spring of 1908, and the building was completed in September of that year.
During this time, some Danes and Norwegians had also been admitted to the membership in the congregation, so the name of the church was changed, and in 1909 the ceongregation was incorporated as the Independent Scandinavian Lutheran Church. The charter members were: John Sandberg Jan Olson ) , Lars Stromberg, Peter Andrew Olson, Carl G. Friedland, Anton Stromgren, Nels Sandberg, Mitchell Stomberg, Mitchell Larson, Jacob Coleman, Ofaf Lundquist, August Friedland, Anders Olson, and G. Friedland.
The congregation joined the Augustana Synod in 1914, and the church was rededicated as Tabor Evangelical lutheran Church. In 1958, the congregation severed it's connection with the Augustana Synod and became a free church until 1967 when it joined the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod.
Over 400 people attended the dedication services for the new church on Sunday, April 29, 1979.
BACK TO THE COUNTY HISTORIC CHURCHES PHOTO PAGE
BACK TO THE OCONTO COUNTY HOME PAGE