Built in 1889
This building replaced the first 1874 frame stucture. The building to the right is the original German Lutheran School at 505 Madison Street
and the building far right is the parsonage.
Fire Damage in 1930
German Lutheran Church
The German Lutheran congregation, city of Oconto, was formed in 1874 when Reverend Charles Lieb, a traveling missionary, offered to pastor the evangelical Lutheran residents who were then attending with a Methodist congregation. The group was being served by minister who traveled from Green Bay. Reverend Lieb became pastor and the Evangelical Lutheran Immanuel congregation that same year. They purchased a parsonage where services were held while the first church building was constructed and dedicated in November of 1874. It was of wood and measured 30' x 40'.
In 1889 the first wood frame church was substantially damaged by fire and a new brick building, pictured above, replaced it. This building still stands and is used the First American Lutheran Church.
All services were held in the German language. Between 1913 and 1919 the congregation introduced English services along with the traditional German ones.
In 1921 men and women were no longer required to be seated on opposite sides of the church and in 1935 women were given the right to vote on congregation matters.
In 1930 a fire on the roof badly damaged the building, which was repaired.
BACK TO THE COUNTY HISTORIC CHURCHES PHOTO PAGE
BACK TO THE OCONTO COUNTY HOME PAGE