Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
Collected and posted by RITA
This site is exclusively for the free access of individual researchers.
* No profit may be made by any person, business or organization through publication, reproduction, presentation or links
to this site.
Contributed by:: RITA
St. Joseph Catholic Church
1677 County Road C
town of Chase, Wisconsin
contributed by: Lawrence and Margaret Hilbert
Please click on each image below for a larger view
The original parish name was St. Cecilia, and earliest records of marriages, births and deaths will have that name. Now the St Joseph Catholic Church building in the settlement of Hilbert, town of Chase, was erected in 1912. It has a very distinguishing eight sided, silver domed bell tower.
St. Joseph's was at first established as the mission parish of St. John Cantius. Over the years, the Franciscan Friars ministered at each parish.
At the last Annual Parish Meetings in 2006, the parish felt that it was time to become one new parish with the St. Louis Parish of Abrams and St John Cantius Parish in Sobieski, with whom they had been linked for 12 years. St.Joseph parish closed during Lent 2007, and the new parish of St. Maximilian Kolbe resurrected with the Easter Vigil on April 7, 2007. St. Maximilian Kolbe is the new parish that grew from the merger of St. Joseph Parish, Chase; St. Louis Parish, Abrams; and St. John Cantius Parish, Sobieski.