St. Partick's Catholic
Stiles, Oconto County, Wisconsin
St. Patrick's Church in Stiles, taken at Christmas Mass in 1959.
This is when they had the Latin Mass. Fr. Geenan is giving the Homily. St. Patrick's statue is above the alter. Later he was taken down and put on the side.
Photo and caption by John Larson
Please left click on the photographs below for a larger view.
St. Patrick Catholic Church,
St. Patrick Catholic Church,
The Catholics living at and around Stiles were visited as a mission in the early days by priests from Oconto and Duck Creek, among them being the Rev. A. Vermare and Father Schwebach from the former, and the Rev. E. F. Van Hootegem from the latter place. It is also of record that the first church was devised and constructed during the administration of Father Schwebach. It was on or about January 1, 1885, that the parish of St. Patrick's was really established, at which time also the Rev. Charles Hoogstoel became the first resident pastor of the congregation. During his residence at Stiles Father Hoogstoel made numerous improvements to the church property, besides building a comfortable parsonage. He was succeeded by the Rev. E. E. Leccia, who built an addition to the church. Father Lcccia was succeeded by the Rev. Father Vanier, who besides his parochial duties at Stiles attended to the out-missions at Gillet and Oconto Falls. The congregation of St. Patrick's numbers forty families.
The congregation of
St. Anthony's at Oconto Falls
is attended from Stiles. The mission, which is at the present time
of some sixty Irish, German, French, Hollandish, Belgian and Swiss
was established by the Rev. Father Vanier on January I, 1896. There is
a nice church at this mission built of brick veneer, which cost $3,500.
This building was dedicated on December 27, 1896, the Right Rev. S. G.
Mess-mer, D. D., Bishop of Green Bay, conducting the services. The
is visited regularly twice each month.
The Rev. C. Vanier,1 rector of St. Patrick's at
Stiles, was born
in 1865 at Paris, France, and is the son of Etienne and Melanie
Vanier. His family was originally from Burgundy, settling in Paris in
His father, a traveling salesman, was killed in a railroad accident in
1866. His mother continued to reside in Paris and in 1873 was married
J. Muller, a well-known composer of that city, by whom she had two
George, an officer in the French army, and Jeanne, who is a student in
the Conservatory of Music at Paris. The subject of this sketch was also
reared in that city, his earlier education being acquired in the
of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart, conducted by the Maristes Brothers.
he entered the college of the Immaculate Conception, conducteji by the
Jesuit Fathers, from which institution he graduated in 1882. He then
the study of theology in the Seminary of the Holy Ghost, and after
his course there came to the United States, arriving in New York City
the month of August, 1887. For two years following he remained there,
engaged as a teacher, and on August 25, 1889, was ordained to the
by the Rt. Rev. Bishop Laughlin at Brooklyn. In September of the same
he removed West to Delwich, Uniontown, Door county, Wisconsin,
there as pastor of Our Lady of the Snow until October 20, 1893, when he
was transferred to the parish at Florence, Wisconsin, where he remained
as pastor of the church of the Immaculate Conception until October 8,
on which date he was appointed to the pastorate of St. Patrick's at
Rev. Victor Bally
The Rev, Victor Bally, present rector of St. Peter's, was born on the I7th of March 1850, in Colmar, Alsace. After having completed a commercial course in the Imperial Lyceum of Colmar, he took a course in Latin at the Scholasticat of the Fathers of the Holy Ghost in Brittany, France.
In 1868 he entered the French army and served as a
after the Franco-Prussian war, of which he stood all the hardships,
having spent one year previously in Algeria. In 1872 he resumed his
studies, and five years later those in theology. 'Having some time
met Father F. X. Leroy, then Vicar-General of the Diocese of Natchez,
was received as a student for that diocese, arriving at that place on
22, 1877. On Septembers, following, lie was ordained priest by Bishop
H. Elder, and from that day until September 20, 1896, worked as a
in Mississippi. Finally, owing to increased ill health, and the
necessity of seeking a cooler climate, he removed to the diocese of
Bay, where for some months following he was associated with Father
Latterly he was appointed to his present charge.
Addition by : John Larson
First Mass at St. Patrick's Church, February 19, 2006
St. Patrick's Stiles has it first priest in its 121-year history. St. Pats has had a few nuns but to my knowledge has had no priests that were baptized there.
Anson Eldred deeded the land for the church Sept. 15, 1882. Tom and Isabel Leigh from Leigh Town donated the bell that is still in use today. It is interesting to note that none of them were Catholics. Most of the families were Irish that built the church so they called it Saint Patrick's. First records start at Jan. 1st 1885.
John L. Larson, son of John R. and Janice Larson, was baptized by Fr. LaQue May 24, 1970 and made his First Communion June 10, 1979 at St. Pat's.
On the day he made his First Communion with Fr. Mineau his Godparents asked him what he was going to be, His answer was "a priest." No one thought much about it at the time. When he was going to school at Oconto Falls the computer came along and he took to it like a duck to water. In High School he worked on the 1988 Annual and it was the first Annual in the school history to be sent in digital format. He became a computer Programmer and worked for the Florida Dept. of Transportation five years.
He joined the Congregation of Marians of the Immaculate Conception and became a brother. He graduated from Franciscan University of Steubenville in Ohio, Magnum Cum Laude with a Bachelor of Arts Degree. He continued his education at The Dominican House of Studies in Washington DC. He graduated Cum Laude with his Master of Divinity and Pontifical degree Bachelor of Sacred Theology.
John L. was ordained a priest at the Crypt church of the National Shrine of the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception in Washington DC on Feb. 11,2006 with a reception at The Pope John Paul 11 Cultural Center, Washington DC.
Father John L. Larson will be assigned to St. Mary's
Church at Plano,