Search billions of records on

Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
Collected and posted by RITA

This site is exclusively for the FREE access of individual researchers.
* No profit may be made by any person, business or organization through publication, reproduction, presentation or links
to this site.

Oconto County, Wisconsin
Resident American Civil War (1861 - 1865)
Veterans' Stories

If you have information or suggestions to include, please send an e-mail to

Here you will find added information on US Civil War Veterans
who lived in Oconto County at some time in their lives,
either before, during or after the war.

William I. Pope by: Glenda Breslin

MILITARY: WI, Oconto. Found on-line at Ancestry.Com Milirary records: William I. Pope fought in the Civil War on the Union side. He was in Company H 39 Infantry Regiment volunteering from Oconto County, Wisconsin in May 1864. Also millitary papers from NARA confirm.

UNION WISCONSIN VOLUNTEERS: 39th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry (100 days, 1864).
Organized at Milwaukee, Wis., and mustered in June 3, 1864. Moved to Memphis, Tenn., June 13-17. Attached to 2nd Brigade, Post and Defences of Memphis, District of West Tennessee. Garrison, railroad guard and picket duty at and about Memphis, Tenn., till September. Repulse of Forest's attack on Memphis August 21. Mustered out September 22, 1864. Regiment lost during service: 3 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 1 Officer and 27 Enlisted men by disease. Total 31.

Hiram Ames
Oconto County, Wisconsin, served as the home for many pioneers fueling the western expansion of the United States. Hiram Ames, his wife the former Angeline Rider, and their daughter Georgianna, arrived from Maine in the late 1850's and started farming near Pensaukee. Three more daughters were born to this union before Hiram answered the sound of the drums of the Civil War.

Leaving his family behind, at the age of 32, this 5 foot 9 inch, blue eyed, ruddy completed, farmer jointed the "Oconto County River Sackers," Company F, 12th Infantry Regiment of the Army of the Northern Republic. Waiting until after celebrating Christmas with his family in 1863, he enlisted for three years on December 29, 1863 and took his first military training in Madison, Wisconsin.

Not long after enlisting, Hiram Ames, joined other members of Wisconsin's 12th Infantry Regiment at Vicksburg, Mississippi, until they moved to Clifton, Tennessee, from May 5 to May 14, 1864. Then as part of the northern Army of the Tennessee, led by General William Tecumseh Sherman, Private Hiram Ames, marched from May 14th to June 8th to Ackworth, Georgia, via Huntsville and Decatur, Alabama, and Rome, Georgia. After participating in several battles in northern Georgia, Private Ames, participated in the Battle of Atlanta, before heading to northwest Georgia and Northeast Alabama to stop elements of the southern Army of the Tennessee, led by General John Bell Hood, from harassing Union supply and communications lines.

Official government records claim Private Ames died of infection of the Bowls either October 17th or 18th, 1864. An eyewitness account filed on February 28, 1867, by Lieutenant Frederick J. Bartels, also of Company F, 12th Wisconsin Infantry, said, "Hiram Ames died near Snake Gap, Alabama, while on the March between Altoona and Snake Gap," and was buried in a field.
By  Bob Mandler
29 Oct 2005

Transcribed from:
Soldiers and Citizens album of Biographical Record Volume I 1888
Grand Army Publishing Co.,Chicago,IL 1888
P. 433

John Utter, of Peshtigo, Wis., formerly, a soldier in the civil war, was born Aug 4, 1844 in Canada, and he is the son of John and Eliza Ann (Bowen) Utter.  He went from the Dominion to Michigan and enlisted at Elkhart aug. 7, 1862, for three years in Company K, 22nd Michigan Infantry.  The regiment was assigned to the Army of the Cumberland and Mr. Utter was in several actions in which his regiment was engaged and in the battle of Chickamauga, sep 20, 1863, he was taken prisoner.  It is acknowledged that Chickamauga was the hardest fought and bloodiest battle of the Rebellion, all things considered.  He was conveyed without food or comfort of any knd to Virginia and confined consecutively in the Pemberton warehouse in the city of Richmond and went to Danville, to Andersonville, Charleston and Florence.

He endured the indinities, the cruelties, the hunger and all the privations and miseries inflicted by the outlaws of the rebellion on the Union soldiers and, when he had been a prisoner of war 15 months, he was paroled Dec. 13, 1864, and received final discharge from the service June 26, 1865, at Nashville, Tenn.  At the time of his capture, he weighed 150 pounds and when he left Florence and reached the Union lines, his weight was 92 pounds; while in prison he suffered from gangrene in the third toe, received treatment from a physician twice and, finally, so save his life, amputated his toe himself with a dull and rusty jackknife.

Mr. Utter married Ada Elmira Phillips, and they resided at Peshtigo at the time of the fire, in which Mrs. Utter and her two children were burned to death.  The children were named John and Eliza Ann, the former being a little less than two years old and the latter two months old at the time of their deaths.  Mr. Utter married for his second wife Syliva C. Phillips, aunt of his first wife, and she died April 30, 1883, leaving one child named Clifford Stanley.  In January, 1887, Mr. Utter was married to Lovinia D. Pettitt.  The father of the mother of Mr. Utter was a soldier in the war of 1812; his grandmother, Mrs. Bowen, was the niece of General Andrew Jackson.

Transcribed and contributed by : Linda Phillips Loser

James Heath was Drafted into the Permanent Guard, Wisconsin Infantry, on September 21, 1864.  At the time he was drafted he was living in Ft. Winnegabo.  (Roster of Wisconsin Volunteers, War of the Rebellion, 1861-1865). He moved to Oconto County, WI shortly after the War.

George W. Heath, oldest son of James Heath, was a Sergeant in the First Regiment Heavy Artillery, Company E.  His regiment was sent to protect Washington, D.C. and saw the end of the war there. He enlisted August 18, 1864, and mustered out June 26, 1865.  At the time he enlisted, he ived in Janesville, Wisconsin. (Roster of Wisconsin Volunteers, War of the Rebellion, 1861-1865). He moved to Oconto County, WI shortly after the War.

Patricia Stickels

Daniel O'Keef Jr.  had fought in Company H, 39th Infantry Regiment, volunteering from Oconto in May of 1864.  His parents had immigrated from Ireland before he was born in New York State, November 1847, the oldest of 5 children. The family moved to city of Oconto in the early 1860's and Daniel Jr. was age 17 when he inlisted in the Armies of the North. After his tour of duty was over,  Daniel Jr. returned to city of Oconto and worked as a cobbler (shoe maker). He married and raised a family there. He was among those honored in Oconto County in 1895 at the 30th Anniversary of the US Civil War's end.

Frederick Guelker escaped without wounds despite a war service extended over a period of years. Very shortly after coming to the United States as a young man, he was talked into joining the Confederate Army, Company C, 20th Louisianna Infantry, March 9th, 1862. After several battles he was captured by the 14th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry.

While a prisoner in St. Louis, MO , he took an oath of allegiance to the Union and on March 24th, 1863 Frederick joined Company K, 14th Regiment, Illinois Calvery as a saddler and horseman. On the way to Andersonville, Georgia, and under the command of General George Stoneman, the regiment proceded on it's way to set free 30,000 Union prisoners penned up at the camp there. The General and his men were surrounded and captured August 3rd, 1864 at Sunshine Church near Clinton, Georgia, by Confederate Army troops and it is uncertain just how Frederick survived. Out of those who lived, some were taken to Andersonville Prison and others managed to escape. Frederick was discharged from the Illinois Cavalry June 16th, 1865.

He was banished from joining his family in Louisianna after the war and settled in Green Bay, Brown County, WI. Frederick  then moved to town of How, Oconto County, WI., in 1885. He lived among and his children and step-children there until the age of 92, passing away November 3, 1931, and is buried in Pleasant View Cemetery.
Great grandson Gene Heezen

Edward Scofield first worked as a printers devil in a Pennsylvania printing office, and then though still a boy of nineteen answered his country’s call when the cry to arms rang through the nation with the opening of the civil war. He enlisted with Company K of the 11th Pennsylvania reserves, and the three eventful years that followed brought glory, renown, and untold hardship for the courageous youth.

He participated in every battle  fought with the Army of the Potomac during the first three years, suffered for ten months in Southern prison camps, and when the war closed had raised himself from the position of private soldier to Brevette Major. His first promotion to the office of Lieutenant came as a result of exceptional heroism at the battle of Fredricksburg. Heroism at Fredricksburg The story is told that the confederates placed timed shells before their outworks so as to blow up when the union troops were charging into their earthworks.  The order to charge came at daylight.

With a yell the troops under the command of acting lieutenant Scofield dashed toward the enemy in the face of a withering fire.  When they arrived near the Confederate earthworks, the timed bombs exploded tearing great gaps in the ranks.  But they forged ahead, climbing over the bodies of dead and dying comrades until they were in the midst of the rebels earthworks. The story of this period of the civil war is too well known to require repetition.  Desperate and bloody encounters followed fast upon each other. The fortunes of the union armies ebbed.

Then came Gettysburg.  Here Lieutenant Scofield again distinguished himself and in recognition of his service was made captain. Then followed the desperate fighting of the Battle of Wilderness which took the lives of two thirds of the members of the famous Pennsylvania division in which Captain Scofield served. Here the forces of the south executed a brilliant military maneuver and captured 2,500 union troops in a mass.  Captain Scofield was
among them and begining at that time  came the hardest period of the civil war for the youthful officer.

Imprisonment conditions in the southern stockades were intolerable.  Once Captain Scofield escaped for a short time, hid in swamps and woods, lived on what negroes were able to smuggle to him.  But he was recaptured and thrown into a dungeon as punishment. He was transferred from camp to camp.  One period of his imprisionment was served in Andersonville Prison, where the barbarous treatment accorded prisoners cannot be depicted even in the imagination Shortly before the close of the war he was exchanged with many other prisoners.  The long period of exposure, hardship, and starvation had left him thin, haggard, weighing only 96 pounds.  Be he wished to see the conflict through to the end and enlisted as a substitute for a drafted man.

Before he could again reach the front, however, the war came to a close. He was appointed Brevette major at the time he was mustered out, a title which citizens have respectfully applied to him throughout his life.

Major Edward Scofield settled in Oconto County after the war and was elected twice to the position of Governor Wisconsin in 1896 and again in 1898.
Researched, Written and Contributed by Ron Renquin

Patrick Pigeon On 2 July 1861, Patrick enlists at Camp Utley, near Racine, in Company A of the
4th Regiment of Wisconsin Cavalry Volunteers for a three-year term. He is 19 years old.  On 5 July 1861, the 3rd and 4th Regiments were to report to Williamsport, MD via Chambersburg, PA to be part of Maj. Gen. Patterson's
command at Martinsburg, VA (now WV).

On 27 July 1861, the 4th Regiment is in Baltimore, MD as part of Maj. Gen. John A. Dix's Army of the Potomac. On 7 August 1861, the 4th Regiment's home base is Fort McHenry, Patrick is currently serving at the Relay House, 9 miles from Baltimore at the junction of the B & O Railroad and the Washington branch.  It is also recorded that he
deserted on this date in Baltimore, MD and that on 20 November 1861 he was absent from his post and sent to Fort McHenry under arrest. On 8 November 1861, the 4th Regiment is sent to Worcester Co., MD, adjoin Accomoc, VA. (Accomoc is about 15 miles south of the MD border on the Delmar Peninsula.)

On 23 February 1862, Patrick's Troup is at Fort Monroe (near Baltimore?); he is assigned to Maj. Gen. Ben F. Butler's U.S. Volunteers and sent south on either living at Ship Island, MS mess pans, cups, plates, knives & forks and each solider his knapsack, overcoat,  blanket, one extra shirt, pair of drawers, pair of shoes, canteen and in his haversack  four days cooked rations and 40 rounds of ammo in his cartridge box.
(Apparently Patrick's record made him a prime candidate to be volunteered.) On 21 April 1862, Patrick is court marshaled on board  the steamer Laurel Hill. On 29 April 1862, they are participating in the bombardment and capture of Fort Jackson and Fort Saint Philip at the entrance way to the main channel of the
Mississippi River.

On 8 May 1862 they land in New Orleans and by 9 June 1862 are near Baton Rouge  where they fight the 5 - 9 August 1862 engagement.

On 7 September 1862 they are at the Saint Charles Court House and Camp Carrelleton where Patrick is reported in trouble and confined again. The Co. A 4the Reg't WI Inf. company muster rolls show Patrick absent without leave Sept  & Oct 1862.  The rolls for Nov 1862 through April 1863 shows Patrick confined  at Carrallton, LA under the Sentence of General Court Martial.  The roll for May  & June 1863 shows "Sentenced to two years imprisonment in Fort Jackson by G.C.M.

Nov. 27/63".  An undated roll shows Patrick deserted May 25, 1863 at Morganza,  La.  The last roll for Patrick, Sept & Oct 1863 says "absent in arrest under sentence of G.C.M. Nov 27/62.

General Order No. 25:  The following (4th Wisconsin Cavalry) regiments and batteries participated in these campaigns: 5 August 1862, Baton Rouge; 27 October 1862, Georgia Landing; 14 January 1863, Colton; 12 April 1863, Bisland;  14 April 1863, Irish Bend; 21 May 1`863, Plains Store; 3 June 1863, Clinton;  21 June 1863, La Fourche.
On 24 May 1863 Port Hudson is invested, assaulted on 27 May and 14 June, and surrendered on 7 July 1863.
On 13 July 1863 they are at Cox's Plantation.

The 4th Wisconsin Calvary spent the rest of 1863 in this area and by the first half of 1864 moved into Morganza and participated in the expedition to Clinton, Greensburgh, Osyka and Camp Moore in October 1864.  In 1865 they went into Blakely, AL the to West Point MS, Columbus, MS and Vicksburg, MS in June.
Submitted by Robert F Pigeon

Thomas Spice served in the Civil War as a private in Co A, 16th Regiment of  U.S. Infantry. He fought in the battles of Shiloh and Antietam. He was shot in the left elbow joint on December 31, 1862 at the Battle of Stone River, Murfreesboro, Tennessee. He was given a disability discharge on March 20, 1863. Thomas returned to live in Delavan,Wisconsin, where he filed his claim for an invalid pension. It was determined that
he suffered from a total disability and a pension of $8.00 per month was granted to Thomas Spice for his service in the Civil War. This seems like a small payment for the price he paid. Thomas Spice, a native of England, left his job and mother-less family to fight for his country. This dedication probably changed his life, and the lives of his children, forever.

Robert Spice was 17 years old when he left for the Civil War on June 19, 1861. He served with Company H, 4th Wisconsin Infantry, known as the Oconto County River Drivers. He enlisted for 3 years, being mustered into the service at Racine. He went to the front lines where he participated in the battles of Fort Jackson, New Orleans, Baton Rouge and the Red River campaign. The regiment was reconstructed into a calvary unit.

In 1864 he re-enlisted and participated in skirmishes at Clinton, Baton Rouge, Alabama, Mississippi and Vicksburg. They expected to be discharged at Vicksburg, but were sent to San Antonio, Texas on an expedition against the Indians. While in Olive Branch, Louisiana, Robert Spice suffered from a severe fall, when his horse fell and the reserve of mounted men tumbled on top of him. He received a severe back injury that he continued to suffer from. Robert Spice wore the uniform of his adopted country for five years. He was honorably discharged at Brownsville, Texas in June, 1866, returning home with a military record he could be proud of.
Submitted by Holly Sprise Kobza

Frank Knisely related many interesting experiences during his military service in the Civil War. He told of entering the service as a boy of 17, a year younger than the age at which those enlisting were accepted. Because officers in his home state, Ohio, refused to accept him, he went to Chicago where he was admitted into the army in 1862 as a high private in Company I Bouton's battery in the light artillery.

Although he saw action for three years of the war, the Battle of Shiloh at Pittsburg Landing stood out as the most spectacular in his mind. It was in this battle that he was initiated into the horrors of war. During the conflict between the states, he was a member of the same company as were Peter James and Homer DonLevy, all old residents of this city, who preceded him in death.

At the close of the war Mr. Knisely remained in Illinois where he was employed by farmers. In 1872 he came to Couillardville, Oconto County, WI. Mr. Knisely was the last living Civil War Veteran in the city of Oconto, at age 92, and the second longest living in the county. His wife was Oconto born Ellen M. Davis, daughter of Oconto County residents E.L. and Mary Davis originally from Wales, England. Frank Knisely's birth parents were John and Sarah L. King of Crawford County, Ohio. His original name was Renious King before his parent's death and his adoption, at age nine, by his great uncle Judge Samuel Knisely, whose surname he also adopted. Knisely is thought to be the original German family name.)

Capt. Levi W. Hart  Born at Green Bay Brown County Wis., on the 22nd of December 1835, he spent the first 19 years of his life in Brown and Oconto Counties.  He, animated  by a patriotism which his subsequent record as a soldier, marked with a  proud emphasis, enrolled himself with "Taylor's Chicago Battery," of   which he was elected 2d Lieutenant He, with his Battery, was assigned to  service with the forces which shortly after fought the battle of "Belmont," on which engagement Lieut. Hart entered with one gun and came out with three, receiving for his gallantly in this his battle, a  handsome compliment from his commander. He was  with his battery at the sieges of Fort Henry and Donaldson, on the Tennessee River, and at the latter place was in command of the Battery, and at which place he was  conspicuous for his gallantry.

The enemy charge on the Taylor Battery and succeed in capturing one of the guns, Lieut. Hart called on his men to charge for the recapture of the gun, which at large loss, and with fearful hazard, was handsomely done; with a rope fastened to the "tail" of the gun they actually dragged it away from the enemy. His gallantry  on this occasion  was rewarded by Gen. Sherman prompting him, on the field, to a First Lieutenancy. He commanded his Battery at "Bloody Shilo" where it had the honor of opening the first fire on the enemy,  and where it did credible and gallant service throughout the entire engagement. He, with his Battery was engaged in various engagements,  skirmishes, marches and counter marches, which finally resulted in th investment, siege and capture, of the stronghold, Vicksburg by Gen. Grant.

At Vicksburg he was detached from Taylor's Battery and put in command of a siege battery, which he commanded until the capitulation,  after which he participated in the Battle of Black River, and in the capture of Jackson, Miss. By this time the hurrying  and fatiguing  duties of campaigning  together with sever injury received in battle, so undermined his health, that rest was a necessity and he was furloughed.

Under the influence of a healthful climate and the ministration of kind friends his health soon sufficiently restored to enable him to return to duty, which he did, and was assigned to the command of the "Silverspear Battery", with which he remained until his final Muster out; with it he was at Arkansas Post, and in numerous other engagements of minor  importance, and before leaving it he was appointed to a captaincy.

 After leaving the army Capt. Hart engaged in several business ventures and eventually came to Oconto, where he engaged in the manufacture of shingles and the mercantile business. He later moved to Chicago, Il.

William Wallace Whitcomb came to Pensaukee in the early sixties and in 1863 enlisted in Company F, 12th Wisconsin Regiment and served until the close of the war being with Sherman in his march to the sea. After the close of the war he was engaged in umbering on the Pensaukee river for a number of years but later occupied himself with farming which vocation he followed at the time of his death.
 Ron Renquin

John Matravers was born in Donyatt, England 4/11/1827, the son of Philip Matravers and Eliza Sweetland. His surname has been researched back to 1086. His direct line in England dates back to 1743. He was the only one in his family to immigrate to the United States.

John reported to active duty for the Civil War on 1/6/1864 at Chicago, Ill. He was mustered into the 39 Illinois Militia , First Division, First Brigade, 24th Army Corps at Springfield, Illinois. He was then sent to Camp Distribution near Washington, DC where he spent the winter. In the spring the regiment marched to Richmond, Virginia where they participate in the battle of Hatchez Run. John sent many letters home during the time he was serving. There is a gap in the letters from January to April 20, 1865 during which he was probably actively engaged in the war.

In the final days of the war John was stationed at Appormattox Court House, before and during Lee's surrendered to
General Grant. While there he had the opportunity to meet him. John had a great deal of respect for General Grant, and is probably the reason his first son born after he returned was named George Grant.

After leaving Appormattox he was stationed at Norfolk, Virginia where he guarded union deserters. He was discharged in September of 1865. When a soldier was discharged it was up to him to get home. John reached home on 12/19/1865 his daughter Mary Ann's fourth birthday. Family stories say as he approached the house the family dog started barking and Mathilda went out to see a thin, limping man with a cane approaching the house and did not recognize him. John had a limp the rest of his life. His granddaughter , Helen Jelinski, states he was wounded during the war and received a $5.00 a month pension for the rest of his life.
Submitted by Gloria A Olson

John Klemp was born in Regenwalde, Prussia on 11 June 1842. He came to the the United States in 1849 with his Father Karl, mother Ernestine(Maiden name Krueger), and sister Wilhelmina.When John was 20 years old, he entered into the Civil War by volunteering for military service in the town of Springvale(Fond du Lac).  Military records described John as having brown eyes,  brown hair, a dark complexion, and was 5 feet 6 inches in height at the time he volunteered.

 He was mustered into the Wisconsin 4th Regiment Company K on 13 March 1863.  Later he was transferred to Company F of the 4th Regiment of the Wisconsin Cavalry.  During his service he became friends with Charles McKenzie and Joseph Helmke who would later help him start his
own business.  At the expiration of his term of service, John was discharged at Brownsville, Texas on 18 March 1866.

John returned home to Wisconsin and about a year later married a woman named Emilie(Amelia) Hoep(or Huess) on 19 April 1867.  Influenced by his stepfather William during his teenage years and through his experience in the Wisconsin Cavalry as a young man, John started his trade as
a blacksmith.  Submitted by Jim Klemp

Truman D. Parkinson
c: 1937
With the passing of Truman D. Parkinson, 93, there were only three Civil War veterans remaining in Oconto County. Truman Parkinson was born February 14, 1844 in Leroy, N.Y. He was the oldest of three children born to John N. and Lucy Ann Parkinson. His father was a shoemaker. The family moved to Goveneur, N.Y. in 1854. They were poor and Mr. Parkinson had to begin earning his own living at the age of ten.

For two years he worked on the farm of Andrew Rutherford. After that time he went to the home of Andrew Murry and while living there he was able to attend school a few months during the winter. He remained at the Murry home until the outbreak of the Civil war, when he ran away and enlisted, being not quite 18 years of age. He had to be sworn in by officers, but after three weeks of daily appearance at headquarters he was finally accepted as a private in Company 1, 92nd division, N.Y. infantry on December 3, 1861.

Christian Heidenworth - born Dec 2, 1842 died Nov. 11, 1931, from Mickelberg, Germany, was a Civil War injured veteran.
David Heidenworth -  June 3, 1837 to Aug 7, 1914 - from Mickelberg, Germany, came to Peshtigo  in 1893.
         Civil War,  WI 12th Infantry POW and Veteran.
Submitted by Pat Drees

Oconto County Reporter
 December 3, 1925

 Alexander McGlachlin, 92, one of Oconto's 12 remaining Civil War veterans, died at his home at 214 Gale Street Sunday.

 Thomas L. Pillsbury, a Civil War Veteran, Abrams, died Saturday.

The Enquirer
 Friday May 10, 1907
 contributed by Richard LaBrosse

 John S. Gifford, a pioneer settler of the town of Chase and a veteran of the civil war, died of pneumonia


George Benninghaus
Thursday, April 6, 1939
Civil War Veteran Dies

A wedded life of 63 years duration was broken only a week when death took George Benninghaus, 92, on March 27 and the widow Sophie, on April 2nd.
contributor: Richard LaBrosse


Oconto County Reporter
19 March 1914
  Passed Away in Town of Oconto Monday

John Degeneffe, and old resident of the town of Oconto and veteran of the civil war, passed away at his late home Monday afternoon, after having been a sufferer with heart trouble for a number of years.


Oconto County Reporter
 February 17, 1883

 GEN. JOHN A. KELLOGG, originally of Wausau, who at the close of the civil war, commanded the famous Iron Brigade, died last week in Oconto after a short  illness.  His genial ways and kindly countenance will be missed.


Oconto County Reporter
June 19, 1969
contributed by Dave Cisler

      Civil War veterans of Oconto got together for a reunion picture in the lawn of Colonel Lee's home.
         (note: no names, further information or date of photo was provided in the newspaper issue)

John Roach
died during the civil war, he served with the Oconto River Drivers unit.
Contributed by   Jim Doran

Birth:   1822
Place:  Perth Military Settlement, Lanark County, Ontario
Death:    10/12/1879
Place:  Oconto, Wisconsin
Occupation:             Seaman & Civil War Veteran (NY Light Artillery)
Submitted by Linda Al-Omair

Patrick Degan

The man for whom Degantown, Oconto County,  was named,  Patrick Degan was a Civil War veteran who was the first to move his family, after tha war ended,  to a homestead claim in the Sugarbush.

Frank Moody
was  born in Union, Broome County, New York and moved with his parents Nehimiah Moody and Nancy Rockwell Moody to Corryville, McKean County, Pennslyvania when he was nine years old,  and came to Oconto county locating in Pensaukee on a farm. He was a member of Company D, 4th Penn. Art. during the Civil War and a member of D.D. Barker Post G.A.R. of Abrams, Oconto County.

W. J. Classon
When the Civil war broke out William enlisted and served throughout the war as a member of the 27th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. After the war they moved to Oconto county in 1871, settling on a farm in the town of Oconto.

Herman Grunert married his wife, Mary, on Thanksgiving Day, 1861 while she was resident of the town of Ellington, Stevensville, Wisconsin. They later made their home in Oconto, where Mr. Grunert enlisted in the Civil War, serving with Company D, 9th Wisconsin Infantry. He saw action in the vicinity of Little Rock, Ark., where he spent much of the time he was in the service. It was at this time that he wrote a number of letters to his youthful bride, all of which have been kept by Mrs. Gruert's daughter, Mrs. David Wedgwood.

The letters, though they carried little of the terrible conflict in which her husband was engaged, were deeply solicitous about the welfare of his wife and children. One etter dated March 12, 1866, told of the disaster that had befallen the 3rd Wisconsin cavalry, when they were surprised by the, Bushwackers, many being cut down, including a captain and a number of men. He also wrote of the trials of army life, of the very infrequent visits of the paymaster, who didn't come around more than once every six months.

A second letter, written April 17, 1865, began with the happy news that the war would soon be over and that he would again see his dear wife and children, one of whom was just learning to talk, and from whom he had been separated almost a year. Richmond had been taken and General Lee had surrendered and everywhere the Union forces were pushing forward at a mad pace from one triumph to another. Following the surrender of General Lee, Grunert wrote; that the celebrating was noisier than the actual battles in some cases there being a continuous thunder of
cannon, while riotous celebrators took possession of towns and villages.

Lincoln's Assassination

And then he told of the news of Abraham Lincoln's assassination, when entire encampments ,went into mourning for thirty days and soldiers and officers alike were very despondent over the loss of their beloved president. But his death put the entire union army into a fever heat of battle lust to avenge his death, which they attributed to Southern intrigue. All of the letters were highly romantic, telling of his courtship, of the high esteem in which he held his wife and of his anxiety for her welfare.

When he returned from the service they made their home on School street in city of Oconto.
contributor: Dorothy Hagemann

Frederick William John was born in Prussia on March 3, 1827. He served two years in the Prussian army, in 1847-48, and in 1852 came to America. He located in Oconto in 1854 having lived two years at Milwaukee prior to coming here. In 1856 he moved with his family to Gillett, where he settled on a homestead, which
continued to be his home until his death.

In 1864, when he saw that his country needed his services to assist in preserving the Union, he enlisted in the army and served throughout the civil war, earning a promotion to the office of sergeant. He once told one of his comrades, after a hard fought battle, that he had just received a letter from his wife, whom he had left on
the homestead to guard and care for his small children, in which she stated that she wished she could have a cow, as the milk would be such an aid to the family.

The first money he received for his services as a soldier he sent home and he later received another letter from Mrs. John advising him that she had purchased a cow, and some of the neighbors had come and erected a warm, comfortable stable for the animal.

At his funeral, in 1910, a special train was run from this city to Gillett to accommodate about 100 members of the I.O.O.F., of which he was a devoted member a number of his G.A.R. comrades, a firing squad from Company M
and other friends who desired to attend.
contributor: Jennifer (John) Bumann

Adam Prinz
The Prinz family moved, as recalled by Christine's children, to a farm near Grignon Lake, town of How, Oconto County, WI. Adam Prinz was a veteran of the Northern Armies, seeing action during the US Civil War. Contributed by Nancy Hischke

John Van Ransellier Herriman
Mary Jane Foreman, the daughter of James T. Foreman and Ruth Russell, was born November 30, 1839 in Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio. She married John Van Ransellier Herriman on December 9, 1855 in Cleveland, Ohio. He was born on September 11, 1832 in Boston, Summit Co,
Ohio. J.V. Heriman was a veteran of the Civil War serving with the 2nd Ohio Calvary. They brought their family of 5 children to Oconto in 1867, settling on a 40-acre land grant, which became Little River Township.
Submitted by Peggy Oberbeck

 Zeke Pulford
The Pulford's have a long military history back to England and descendant Zeke, from Oconto, fulfilled the family tradition by serving in the Civil War.
Submitted by Kathy Barlament

George Lince
Abrams had the last surviving Civil War Veteran in Oconto County,George Lince died at Abrams in 1940; age 91 years

Michael J. Sutton,
   As a young man, Michael Sutton served in the Civil War and is listed in the Oconto Co. GAR Post Membership
Researched and contributed by Julie Brogan

William B. and Wilson P. HERNING
were Civil War veterans and brothers who resided in Maple Valley, Oconto County before 1900. They came from a big family; parents were Isaac and Rebecca Worden HERNING. The family resided in Alexandria, Jefferson Co. NY in 1850, before they moved to WI. Isaac's father was Adam HORNING.

Back To Oconto County Civil War Home Page

Back To Oconto County Home Page