Transcribed by Cathe Ziereis
Written by Bruce Paulson and posted with his permission.
Breed got its start with lumbering
THE NORTH STAR HOTEL IN BREED, OPERATED BY THE FLYNN FAMILY, WAS THE SCENE OF MANY A BARROOM BRAWL
The tiny village of Breed played an important part in the county’s logging industry. Breed’s history begins with the birth of Mary Johnson Hamberg, the first white child to be born there, her birth-taking place in a log cabin farm home just east of the present Union cemetery. Her father donated the cemetery land to the community.
it’s name from a family of New Englander’s,
Arthur, Edward and George Breed, who cleared much of the land in the
The aforementioned Mary Johnson Hamberg and her mother instituted a Memorial Day celebration in 1896 that remained a tradition in Breed for a long time. It included services at the cemetery where her father, a Civil War veteran, was buried. School children would be given flags and the whole party would proceed to the Hamberg home for a community picnic.
Peter Linquist was
one of the early lumber barons to
settle in Breed in the early 1890’s. In 1892 his first log
home was destroyed
in a forest fire. A year latter a second home was burned and the family
sought protection from the flames in the waters of the South Branch of
the Oconto River. Linquist re-built again, this time a larger frame
that survived until last year when it was torn down and replaced by a
In 1915, the Linquist’s left Breed, as did many others after the timber began disappearing, and moved to Shawano.
The railroad which runs through Breed once hauled great quantities of lumber, but trucks have ended this part of Wisconsin’s railroad history.
The North Star hotel and tavern was the center of the town then, and still is today. It is now owned by Jim Flynn. The tavern was once owned by William Flynn, Sr. was the sight of many bar room brawl between lumberjacks and sometimes, the Menominee Indian’s. It was not unusual to find dead Indians on Breed’s street at the turn of the century.
August Kuehl built
a general store in 1899 to capture
some of the Indian trade. John Ponsegrau is the present owner of the
The building today appears much the same as it did at the turn of the
BACK TO THE FLASH FROM THE PAST HOME PAGE