Search billions of records on

Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
Collected and posted by RITA
This site is exclusively for the free access of individual researchers.
* No profit may be made by any person, business or organization through publication, reproduction, presentation or links
to this site.


 .HALE .

Researched, written and contributed by descendant:  Mike Churchill

Leonard Hale,
 son of Jinks Hale,
 born in Trenton, Oneida County, New York, April 21, 1811, died probably Oconto County, Wisconsin on August 25, 1892

Levi Fredrick Hale,
son of Leonard and grandson of Jinks Hale,
 born Thresa, Jeffereson County, New York, April 19 1853, died Crivitz, Wisconsin, November 7, 1938

Adelia Jaquith Hubbard Hobbs,

born September 2, 1839 in New York,
 died Hinkley, Illinois, August 1, 1891.
Daughter of Bejamin and Almirea (Scofield) Jaquith.
Pictured with her second husb and, George Hobbs of Hinkley, Illinois

Adelia Jaquith Hubbard Hobbs,
 born September 2, 1839 in New York,
 died Hinkley, Illinois, August 1, 1891.
Daughter of Bejamin and Almirea (Scofield) Jaquith.
Rose Altha Hale Wagner,
born May 5, 1848, McComb, St. Lawrence County, New York,
died December 4, 1891 in Hinkley, Illinois
Daughter of J.S. and Sophie Hale
(1). JINKS HALE, born probably Massachusetts (as per 1850 census, Morristown, Saint Lawrence Co. N.Y.) [hereafter, "Morristown"] Aug. 10, 1790, died Oconto Co. Wis. Aug. 11, 1855 (g.s. "ae. 65 yrs. 1 day") married probably Herkimer or Oneida Co. N.Y. ca. 1810, Catherine Ames, she born probably Townshend, Vt. Mar. 13, 1793, died Oconto Co. Wis. July 12, 1858 (g.s. "ae. 65 yrs. 3 mo's. 29 days") almost certainly the daughter of John and Thankful (Franklin) Ames of Townshend, Vt. and Trenton, Oneida Co. N.Y.. Jinks and Catherine are buried at the "Fire Cemetary" in Peshtigo, Wis.
The first known record of Jinks and Catherine Hale is from Trenton, Oneida Co. N.Y. where their son Leonard was born in 1811 (Fam. Bib. Rec.). Jinks Hale also is listed as a land owner in that town in 1814 (Annals and Recollections of Oneida Co., Pomeroy Jones, 1851). They are in Antwerp, Jefferson Co. N.Y. for the census of 1820 and 1830; not found in any census in 1840; and in Morristown for the census of 1850, #311, as:
Jinks Hale, 64, farmer, Real estate $1422, b. Mass
Catherine, 56, b. Vt.
Lewis, 25, b. N.Y.
Lucy, 14, b. N.Y.
Levi, 5, b. N.Y.

Jonathan S. and Sophia Hale
Mr. Jonathan Hale was the first chairman of the Oconto County Board of Supervisors when the county was established in 1851
Shortly after 1850 Jinks and Catherine Hale moved from Morristown to Oconto Co. Wis. where sons Levi and Jonathan had already settled. One of the possessions they brought was a dropleaf table now (2010) owned by descendant Florence Churchill of Amberg, Wis. with a paper attached to a drawer saying, "This table was handmade in 1812 for Catherine Ames, a bride, mother of Leonard Hale.
"The raising of sheep was encouraged in every way.... and yarn was made by a good many. Mrs. Judkins, Mrs. Huntington and Grandmother Hale had large wheels which came from the east, and they spun for their neighbors." (A Story of Pittsfield and Suamico, Mrs. Lizzie R. Johnstone, [1928]).
Children of Jinks Hale and Catherine Ames, surname Hale:
     (2).  i, Leonard Hale,
                 b. Apr. 21, 1811,
                m. (1) Martha Randall;
                m. (2). Almira (Scofield) Jaquith.
            ii. Elizabeth Betsy Hale possible daughter,,
                 b. Trenton, N.Y. May 15, 1815
                 d. Jefferson Co. N.Y.  Oct. 29, 1883. (
     (3). iii. Jonathan Sanford Hale,
                 b. June 2, 1819
                m. Sophia (     ).
     (4). iv. Levi Hale,
                  b. July 13, 1821,
                 m. Hannah Windross.
     (5). v. Lewis Hale,
                  b. Oct. 19, 1825,
                 m. (1). Delia Scofield; m. (2). Olive Soper.
          vi. Lucy Hale possible daughter,  who, at 14 years of age appears in the 1850 census for Morristown in the houshold of Jinks Hale, (see above).  However it is also posible that "Lucy" is actually Catherine Melissa Hale, daughter of Jinks's son (and neighbor) Leonard. Catherine would have been 14 in 1850 and is not listed in Leonard's household for that year. Lewis Hales wife Delia died in 1847, leaving him with a son, Levi, who in 1850 was 5 years old and living, along with his father, in the household of Jinks Hale. It is plausable that Catherine Melissa might have been called in to help care for her young cousin.  

(2). LEONARD 2 HALE (Jinks, 1),
    b. Trenton, Oneida Co. N.Y. April 21, 1811, 
    d. probably Oconto Co. Wis. (g.s. unknown) August 25, 1892. (fam. Bible)
Martha Randall - prob. Jefferson, or St. Lawrence Co. N.Y. 1834
        b. unknown, Aug. 11, 1808,
        d. Morristown, June 28, 1836. (ibid)
    (2) Almira (Scofield) Jaquith - prob. Morristown, Sept. 1842, "by Justice Parish," ,
        b. poss. Deerfield, Oneida Co. N.Y. Nov. 16, 1811,    
        d. W. Pensaukee (now Abrams) Oconto Co. Wis. Apr. 19, 1882, (fam. Bible) bur. Brookside Cem. daughter of John W. and Seviah (Weaver) Scofield, (Weaver  Genealogy), and widow of Benjamin Jaquith.
Notes on Leonard Hale:

Leonard Hale family in the 1850 census for Morristown, # 309 as: 
Leonard Hale, 39    Laborer, no real estate,   b. N.Y.
Almira Hale, 39   b. N.Y.
Amelia (Sally?) Hale, 17 b. N.Y.
Phebe Jane Hale,13   b. N.Y.
Delia Ann Hale, 10  b. N.Y.
Winfield Hale, 4 b. N.Y.
Mary E. Hale, 2  b. N.Y.
Leonard is also enumerated on the Pittsfield, Brown Co. Wis. 1850 census, occupation "miller" living in the household of Jonathan Sanford Hale.
By 1870 Leonard Hale and his family had permanently removed to Oconto Co. as per. the census of that year, as:
Hale,  Leonard, 59, farmer, real estate $800.00, b. N.Y.
Hale, Almira, 58, keeping house, b. N.Y.
Hale, Winfield, 24, farm laborer,  b. N.Y.
Hale Levi, 17,   farm laborer,  b. N.Y.
Hale, John, 12,  at school,  b. N.Y.
The Hale family lived next to the  Railroad tracks on Sampson Rd., Abrams, on 12 acres of land bordering the farm of Almira Hale's daughter (from her first marriage to Benjamin Jaquith) Mrs.Phebe (Jaquith) Rowell.
Notes on Almira (Scofield) (Jaquith) Hale - second wife of Leonard Hale
Almira was a pioneer of Oconto Co. in her own right and left descendants in the area from her first marriage as follows:
Almira Scofield
    m. (1). 
Benjamin 7Jaquith (Benj. 5-6, Abraham 1-4), (Jaquith Genealogy) Nov. 8, 1831.
    d. Benjamin Jaquith died: Sycamore, Ohio, 1840.
    Children of Almira Scofield and Bejamin Jaquith were:
         (1).  Phebe Jaquith,
                b. (death rec. at Oconto courthouse says Canada) Mar. 30, 1837,

                d. Oconto Co. July 24, 1908, bur. Brookside Cem.
                m. Caleb Rowell - lived on a farm in Abrams on the corner of highway 141 and Sampson Rd.
                     Children of Phebe (Jaquith) and Caleb Rowell: Oscar, Mary, Fannie, Hosia, Orville, Francenia, Ambrouise, Winfield, and Delmar.
          (2). Adelia Jaquith,
                 b. Sep. 2, 1839,
                 d. Hinkley, Ill, Aug. 1, 1891,
                m. (1) 
Levi 7 Hubbard (Ira 6, William 4-5, Samuel 2-3, George 1),N.Y. state, Nov. 9, 1857,
                       Children of Adelia Jaquith and  Levi Hubbard:
                             i. Florence Hubbard,
                                    b. Brier Hill, St. Lawrence Co. N.Y., June 22, 1858,
                                    m. (1).
William R. Waite, Philadelphia, Jefferson  Co. N.Y., Feb. 5, 1876,,
                                    m. (2). Winfield Hale,
                                    m. (3). Warren Buckman.
                             ii. George Hubbard,
                                    m. Ann Zack, they lived in/near Seattle, Wash. - children, Arline, Ruth, Mary, Florence, and Georgene.
                             iii. Warren Hubbard,
                                    b. Apr. 10, 1863,
                                    d. Oconto Co or Marinette Co. Mar. 18, 1889 of pheumonia after falling into the Peshtigo river while logging.
                             iv. Arthur Hubbard,
                                    b. 1870, d. 1959,
                                    m. Helen Fahs,
                                    bur. Hinkley, Ill. 
                m. (2) George Hobbs at "Hales Camp" in Crivitz, June 24, 1885, (by Rev. Cole of Marinette)  of Hinkley, Illinois - no children from 2nd marriage.
          (3). Sally Jaquith,
Aaron Stephenson N.Y. state, Jan. 1, 1852, , she remained in Morristown, at least one child born to this couple, a daughter, Sarah.
In 1883, a year after Almira Hale's death, son, Levi Hale, purchaced, for $600.00, the 12 acre lot and house from his fellow heirs, namely, Leonard Hale, Mrs. Phebe Rowell, Mrs. Adelia Hubbard, Mrs. Sally Stephenson, John Hale, and Winfield Hale, (Oconto  Co. land rec.).
According to family accounts, when a fire destroyed the Rowell house (date unknown) the former Leonard Hale house was moved east of its original location to the neighboring Rowell property to replace it. This large two story house was still standing until ca. 2000 when it was torn down to make room for the expansion of highway 141 to four lanes.

Descendancy Chart:

Leonard Hale

    Child of Leonard Hale and Martha Randall:
         (6). Catherine Melissa Hale
                b. Morristown, Jan. 10, 1836,
                m. Albert Hamilton Buckman.
     Children of Leonard Hale and Almira (Scofield) Jaquith.
               i. Benjamin Franklin Hale,
                     b. McComb, St. Lawrence Co. N.Y., Jan. 6, 1843,
                     d. Morristown, May 15, 1846. (Fam. Bible)
         (7). ii. Winfield Scott Hale,
                     b. Morristown, Jan. 6, 1846,
                     m. Florence (Hubard) Waite. (ibid)
               iii. Mary Elizabeth Hale,
                     b. Morristown, Nov. 7, 1848,
                     d. Thresa, Jefferson Co. "ae. 11 yrs." (ibid)
         (8). iv. Levi Fredrick Hale,
                     b. Thresa N.Y. Apr. 19, 1853,
                     m. (1). Anne M. Buckman,
                     m. (2). Mary Weinhart, (ibid).
                 v. John Henry Hale,
                     b. Thresa, N.Y. Nov. 24, 1857,
                     d. Peshtigo, Wis. Aug. 7, 1886, (ibid) (Marinette Co. v.r.'s)
                     bur. Peshtigo "Fire Cem."
                     m. Rebecca Utter,
                            b. Canada, June 22, 1862,
                            d. Feb. 20, 1913, dau. of John and Liza (Bolen) Utter.
                            m. (2nd husband of Rebecca Utter Hale)
Job Place, Aug. 9, 1890,of Peshtigo.
                     Child of John Hale and Rebecca Utter:
                             i. Liza Utter,
                                    b. prob. Peshtigo, 1886,
                                    d. 1919,
                                    m. Henry Alswager, children: Verne, John, Ralph, Russell, George, Frances, and Franklin.

(3). JONATHAN SANFORD 2 HALE, (Jinks, 1)
    b. prob. Jefferson Co. N.Y. June 2, 1819,
    d. prob. Abrams, Wis., June 7, 1872,
Sophia (      ) - prob. Jefferson or St. Lawrence Co. N.Y. .
Notes on Jonathan Sanford Hale:

Jonathan Hale is called "of McComb" St. Lawrence Co. N.Y. in 1850 when he sold eight acres of land in Morristown to Richard Chapman (St. Lawrence Co. deeds). Jonathan also enumerated in the 1850 census of Oconto Co.
Below, in reference to the saw mill at Pensaukee owned by H.B. Hinsdale:
"During this year (1850) Mr. Gardner finished the mill and the winter of 1850-1 the first stock of logs was got out by J.S. and Levi Hale, contractors, the mill started in the spring of 1851, with two muley saws and an old fachioned siding machine." (Recollections of Oconto Co. pp. 14, George Hall, Bicentenial, 1976).
"J.S. Hale and O.W. Farley settled this year (1856) in what is now known as West Pensaukee." (ibid)
Jonathan Hale lived in W. Pensaukee (Abrams) where he had a farm. He was chairman of the first board of supervisors for the newly formed county of Oconto which first met on July, 5, 1852. Jonathan, also called Sanford or J.S. Hale., and wife are buried at Brookside Cem. Oconto Co.
    Children of Jonathan Hale and Sophia (     ) Hale.
         i. William Edgar Hale,
            b. N.Y. ca. 1843,
            d. Atlanta Ga., July 21, 1864. Enlisted, 12th Wis. Co. F., killed in action in the Civil War. After the War his mother applied for a pension in his name. Such record says he was shot through the head and died instantly. He was killed the same day, and apparently in the same battle, as several others from Oconto Co. who were in the unit known as the "River Sackers."
         ii. Rose Altha Hale,
            b. McComb, St. Lawrence Co. N.Y. May 5, 1848 (town of McComb births),
            d. Hinkley, Illinois, Dec. 4, 1891,
Hiram D. Wagner - W. Pensaukee, Dec. 22, 1870,,
                b. Heuvelton, N.Y. Dec. 17, 1836,
                d. Hinkley, Ill, Jan. 1, 1921, a Civil War vet. and son of Freeman and Kate Wagner. Levi F. Hale and E. Meyers witnessed the marriage as performed by Hugh Yarwood of Oconto.
             Children of Rose Altha Hale and Hiram Wagner:
                 i. Stella E. Wagner,
                    b. July, 7, 1872,
                    d. May, 24, 1895,
                    bur. Hinkley, Illinois.
                 ii. Edna Wagner,
                    b. ca. 1875,
                    m. (      ) Theilens, children: Wagner, Alexis, and Edna.

(4). LEVI 2 HALE, (Jinks, 1) 
    b. Jefferson Co. N.Y., July 13, 1821,
    d. Peshtigo, Wis. Dec. 21, 1895,
    bur. "Fire Cem." at Peshtigo,
    m. Hannah Windross
        b. England, Oct. 10, 1819,
        d. Peshtigo, Dec. 2, 1911, dau. of John and Joanna  Windross of Hamilton, England and Oak Orchard, Oconto Co. Wis.

Notes on Levi Hale:

They and their children survived the great Peshtigo Fire of 1871.
From the Peshtigo Times, Oct. 6, 1971:
"The largest loss of property during the fire, with the exception of the Peshtigo Company was sustained by Levi Hale, who lost the Peshtigo House and part of its furniture, several dwellings and contents, hay, wagons, carriages, horses and cattle totalling an estimated $30,000.
Hale was a builder who rented several homes in Peshtigo to other famillies and had built the Peshtigo house in 1859 and ran it for several years.
After having lost all his property he became a farmer and stock raiser on the property later known as the John Bell farm or Reber's property. It is now owned by Ray pavelin. The Hale road was named after the land's original farmer, Levi Hale.
Hale, born in Jefferson Co. N.Y. and grew up in St. Lawrence Co. came to the Menominee River in the fall of 1841. He spent the next year prospecting in the copper mines of Lake Superior. In 1846, his traveling brought him to Peshtigo where he followed lumbering and various kinds of work until he built the hotel.
Hannah Windross became his bride in 1856 and they had two daughters, Martha and Katherine. She was an immigrant from England and her brother, Dr. William  Windross, started a medical practice in Peshtigo in 1877.
The youngest girl, called Kittie by her family, was twelve years old when the fire struck and her daughter, Mrs Cecil Engles, of Marinette recorded the story of that family's flight from the flames. The family was apparently living at their farm at Peshtigo Harbor when the fire struck.
According to that account, the quiet of the Sunday supper table was interrupted Oct. 8, 1871, when Hale suddenly excused himself and went upstairs to peer at the fire from the west window.
'You better pack the valuables because I suspect trouble before morning,' he announced to his wife upon returning to the table. He then went out the door to inspect the barnes.
Hannah immediately began packing the dresses she had made for an anticipated trip back to her  homoeland. She also grabbed a pail of over a thousand buttons which she had saved as a little girl. But her preparations were interrupted by sudden shouts from Hale.
'Get to the creek or be burned.'
The mother and children ran to the creek, carrying what they could only to drop it when crossing the creek. Fire was everywhere and the creek outlining the barn was their only escape.
They sat that night in the creek with large pans from the kitchen over their heads for protection from cinders. Ocassionally they lifted them to catch a breath of air.
At last morning came, and they emerged from their all night bath, wet, cold and hungry. They went to the stone basement of what had been their home. Hale built a bonfire from the remains of the back fence to dry their wet clothes.
Meanwhile he went to the village to discover all his buildings were destroyed. His consolation was that, while many of his friends had lost members of their family, he had lost none."
From the Peshtigo Correspondent, Dec. 21, 1895:
"Levi Hale, the oldest settler of Marinette county, died at his home in the village at 11 o'clock Saturday night, of general debility at the age of 74. His death was not unexpected as he had been confined to the house for nearly a year. He was concious to the last and knew that the final summons was coming to call him to the unknown beyond.
The deceased was born at Elmira, St. Lawrence Co. N.Y. (probably incorrect as place of birth) July 13, 1821. A portion of his boyhood was spent as a sailor of the great lakes and at the age of 22 he came west to Menominee and shortly after to Peshtigo, at that time the abode of Indians and wild animals.
By energy, perseverance and days of toil he secured a comopetence by logging in the winter and working upon his large farm on the bay shore in the summer.
He built the first hotel known as the Peshtigo House on the site pf the present Corbett House, and for a short time was its proprietor.
He suffered a heavy financial loss in the great fire of '71.
He was well known throught the country and his knowledge and anecdotes of early history of Peshtigo and its first settlers, connected with a retentive memory, made him the historian of the village and an entertaining story teller who will be sadly missed from the ranks of the old settlers and by the rising generation.
He leaves a widow and two daughters. Mrs. Jas. L. Murphy, of Marinette, and Mrs. L.E. Leblond, of Peshtigo, and a number of grandchildren to mourn his demise. The funeral services were held at his home this afternoon at two o'clock and interment took place in the old village cemetery adjoining which he had lived for years."
        Children of Levi and Hannah (Windross) Hale.
                i. Martha E. Hale,
                        b. Peshtigo, Wis. Jan 21, 1857,
                        d. Marinette, Wis. May 29, 1924,
James L. Murphy Marinette, July 4, 1878,
                                b. Franklin Co. N.Y., 1849 and came to Peshtigo in 1872. Mr. Murphy was first elected sheriff of Marinette Co. in 1884 and to the state assmbly in 1886. Children: Edward
Hale, Robert Hale, and Frances Hale, and one daughter, Francis Murphy, who d. 1895, her obituary appeared in a local (poss. Eagle Star) paper on Nov. 24, 1895, as:
Death of Francis Murphy,
 "Frankie, the little daughter of ex-sheriff Murphy, passed away Monday afternoon. She died of typhoid fever. The funeral notice will appear tomorrow. Her death has almost prostrated her parents."
                 ii. Katherine Hale,
                        b. Peshtigo, May 3, 1858,
                        d. Peshtigo, Dec. 13, 1938,
                        bur. Riverside Cem.,
Edward LeBlond in Peshtigo, July 4, 1893, a native of Canada who came to Peshtigo in 1869 and was a salesman for the Peshtigo Co. store. Children: Cecil LeBlond, m. Harry J. Engels; Katherine LeBlond, m. Willis Hodgins; and a Mrs. William LeBlond Smith, who lived in Menominee, Mich.
 (5). LEWIS 2 HALE (Jinks 1),
Dec. 19, 1825, prob. Jefferson or St. Lawrence Co. N.Y.,  
        d. Sep. 15, 1895, bur. Brookside Cem., Oconto Co.,
        m. (1)
Delia (or Adelia) Scofield, prob. Morristown, St. Lawrence Co. N.Y.
                d. Morristown, June 3, 1847, g.s. Greenwood Cem. Morristown as: "Adelia A. Scofield, wife of Lewis Hale, ae. 24 yrs. 4 mo's," (Ann M. Cady, St. Lawrence Co. cem. listings)
Note on Delia Scofield:
Delia was sister to Almira Scofield, wife of  Lewis' brother Leonard Hale.
        m. (2). Olive Soper,
                b. Ontario, Canada, Oct. 16, 1836,
                d. Vancouver, Clark Co. Washington, Sep. 13, 1922.,
                bur. Park Hill Cem. Vancouver, dau. of John M. and Asenath (Bradley) Soper.
Note on Lewis Hale:
"Sheep shearing was an interesting event every spring. D. Huntington, A. Burdick, and Lewis Hale went from farm to farm to shear sheep." (A Story of Pittsfield and  Suamico).
"Lewis Hale came from New York state with relatives. He lived among them, sometimes at Peshtigo, Pensaukee, Pittsfield, Crivitz, Abrams, and Lena, never contened to settle down. His son George was a small boy when he came west. He lived many years in the home of W.N. Brown. He died when 18 years old." (ibid)
Lewis Hale was recruted (along with several others) in Pittsfield, Wis. and enlisted on Oct. 21, 1861 as a private in Co. H. of the 12th rgt. of Wisc. Infantry. He is described as 5'8" tall, dark complected, black hair, and blue eyes. He is said to have deserted at Humboldt, Tenn., Oct. 5, 1862 (Civil War pension application). 
In 1891 Lewis Hale, while living in Amberg,  made application for a pension for services rendered during the Civil War. He contracted with Pension and Claim Attys., Geo. Bancroft & Co., to represent his appeal to have the charges of desertion withdrawn, claiming that desertion was necessary to save his life, that he suffered from chronic diarhea while in service and could not get adequate treatment from the army.
Testimony of Mary Hayden, doctor, Flintville, Brown Co. Wis., Sep. 18, 1891:
 "That she is a practicing physician and has been acquainted with said soldier for about 35 years and that said claimant was a sound able bodied man when I first knew him and til he went into the army.
He worked for the neighbors and for my husband before the war and if he had not been a sound able bodied man at that time and at enlistment I would have known it as he boarded with us when he worked for us. After his return from the army I first treated him for chronic diarhea and pleurisy about the spring of 1864 which I believe to have been contracted in the army because he was sound before he enlisted. The medicine I gave him relieved him for a while but the same trouble would come on again. The treatment has afforded present relief but has never cured and I believe he is incurable. I have treated him often during all the time since with about the same result. He has been unable to perform manual labor for a living about half of the time since he came home and I first treated him. Claimant has lived here and worked for the neighbors when he could work most of the time since he came from the army."
 It is not clear from the Civil War records as received from the National Archives, whether Lewis Hale was successful in receiving a pension.
        Child of Lewis and Delia (Scofield) Hale:
                 (9). Levi H. Hale,
                        b. Morristown, June 25, 1845,
                        d. Lena, Wis. Dec. 13, 1908,
                        m. (1) Vannie Stacy,
                        m. (2). Kate M. (Williams) Widger.
         Children of Lewis and Olive (Soper) Hale.
                 i. GEORGE HALE, (possible son).  Only known reference of George is from (A Story of Pittsfield and  Suamico), see above. George apparently not born to 1st.  wife, Delia Scofield, as the census of 1850 makes no reference to him in the household with Lewis Hale, then a widower. If George is a son with Lewis' 2nd. wife , Olive, he would have been born, say, 1852 at the very earliest, when Olive was16 years old. A check of the 1860 and/or 1870 census of Pittsfield, and the household of W.N. Brown, where George is said to have lived, might verify the existance of this supposed son of Lewis Hale.
                 ii. MILLIE MARY HALE,
                        b. Wis. Aug. 11, 1857,
                        d. Vancouver, Clark Co. Washington, Nov. 26, 1918,
                        bur. Park Hill, cem., Vancouver,
                        m. (1).  Galen Litchfield,
 ca. 1881,
                        b. Watertown, Middlesex Co. Mass. June 22, 1839,
                        d. Vancouver, Jan 8, 1935, bur. Park Hill cem.,
                        m. (2). George Albert Snyder,
                                b. Stevenson, Ill, Mar. 4, 1857,
                                d. ca. 1940. (
Notes on Olive Soper Hale Ellis:
Sometime between 1857 anad 1859, Lewis Hale and wife, Olive, separated. She m. (2). Orrin J. Ellis who enlisted at Monroe, Wis. in Co. B. 18th Wis. Inf. Vols. and was honorably discharged for disability.
 It was customary for the widow of a Civil War vet. to receive a pension in his name. In Olives case, her rights to a pension in the name of Orrin J. Ellis, had apparently been rejected due to her prior marriage to (and questionable divorce from) Lewis Hale.
In an effort to have her claim for a pension sucessfully "reinstated," Olive submited the following affidavit dated Oct. 1, 1908:
 "That she was born in the state of New York about the year 1840 and resided with her parents in the County of St. Lawrence, and at the age of about 14 and not over 15 years, a minor child, one Mr. Hale came to her fathers home and obtained consent to take affiant to his home to live with his family for a time; that said affiant went to the said Hale home and she lived with the family for a few months when it was proposed to her that she become the wife of Lewis Hale, a son of the said Mr. Hale with whom she was then living;  that some form of ceremony was performed and within a few weeks her father John Soper learned that the said Lewis Hale claimed to have been married to his daughter, the affiant; whereapon he went and took affiant to his home, declaring that his consent had not been secured to said marriage and the affiant then being under sixteen years of age was not of a marriagable age and that the ceremony could not be binding or legal. That affiant with her fathers family moved to the northern part of the state of Wisconsin during the same spring or summer in which such marriage ceremony was performed; that after her father came and took her from the Hale home affiant never lived with the said Lewis Hale or recognized the legality of said marriage; that they settled in an unorganized portion of the territory of northern Wisconsin above Appleton P.O. in the wilderness near Green Bay P.O.  That her father with the aid of some local attorney whose name is now unknown to affiant took the necessary court proceedings to set aside, anul and make void said marriage cerimony claimed to have existed between herself and said Lewis Hale and that for years she had in her posession a certificate or paper showing lthat affiant was under no legal obligations whatever to recognize said marriage cerimony performed while affiant was a minor, not of mariageable age, and withouot the consent of her said father; that said paper or certificate was destroyed by fire some few years thereafter. Affiant has personal knowledge that said Lewis Hale died about the year (illegible); that affiant was lawfully married to Orrin J. Ellis about (    ) day of March, 1859 near Milwaukee, state of Wisconsin."
The property records at the Oconto Courthouse show the sale of land in Peshtigo Harbor by Lewis Hale and his wife Olive to Catherine Hale, transaction dated June 9, 1857. The deed is signed, Lewis Hale (seal) and Olive Hale (seal), contradicting Olives testimony, as above.
Also, Olive gives her birth as "about 1840, N.Y. state"  but in Rootsweb, her descendant says she was b. Ontario Canada, in 1836. In her testimony, Olive also omits that she has a daughter by Lewis Hale.
It is interesting also that Olive claims to have had in her possession a document (since destroyed by fire)  written up by an attorney, (who's name she cannot remember) absolving her of any legal attachment to a marriage to Lewis Hale.
In other statements she says that she is living in Washington state and too far from Wisconsin in time and distance to obtain corroborating testimony from witnesses there. She does manage to obtain supporting testimony from Mrs. Bella Smith, her sister, who says that everything in Olives testimony is true.
It appears that Olive (Soper) Hale was probably not divorced from Lewis Hale at the time of her marriage to Orin J. Ellis. It is not clear whether she successfully convinced the govt. of the contrary.
Note: the "Lucy" of 14 years living in the household of Jinks Hale in 1850, as above, would have been the same age as Olive Soper (as well as Catherine Hale, as previously speculated). If it was Olive, then at least some of her testimony is correct.
(6). CATHERINE MELISSA (3) HALE, (Leonard, 2, Jinks,1)
        b. Morristown, Jan. 10, 1836,
        d. Amberg, Marinette Co. Wis. [hereafter, Amberg] Dec. 17, 1890,
        bur. Rural Cem. Flintville, m. Morristown, Apr. 7, 1853 "by Rev. H. Linairs"
        m. Albert Hamilton Buckman,
                b. Grand Isle, Vt. June 12, 1829,
                d. Amberg, Sep. 8, 1906,
                bur. Rural Cem. Flintville, son of Elijah and Amanda (Taylor) Buckman of Grand Isle, Vt. and Morristown, (fam. Bible).
Notes on Catherine Melissa Hale Buckman:
Catherine and her husband removed from Morristown to Brown Co. Wis. in 1854, settling first in Mills Center and then Flintville.
"The old 'Hall House' which still stands (1928) on the corner of Broadway and Howard street was the only boarding place south of 'Tiernan's' on Walnut street. It was in this house that the Albert Buckman family spent their first night in Green Bay, after getting off the old 'Michigan,' on which they had made the trip from Buffalo." (A Story of Pittsfield and Suamico).
"In 1852 the town of Pittsfield was organized by proper legislation, being formerly a part of the once large town of Howard....On March 16, 1858, a petition to set off a town to be called Suamico from the town of Pittsfield was presented to the board of Supervisors of the Brown Co.  A.H. Buckman was the first assessor in this new (smaller) township of Pittsfield." (ibid.) 
"A.H. Buckman had held the office of school superintendent for Pittsfield before the office of County Superintendent was established in 1861. A sum of $2.00 for the use of Mr. Buckman's house was allowed at each meeting." (ibid.)
"The house or barn raisings were surely tests of strength and daring, Albert Buckman's assistance was always needed to "holler" when the great side timbers and beams went up so that all pushed at the same instant." (ibid.)
Catherine Buckman was the first school teacher in Dist. #3, town of Pittsfield, which was formed in 1862. (ibid)
"A school house was not built until the next year. The first teacher in the district was Mrs. A.H. (Catherine) Buckman, who "kept" the school in her own house. There were from 10 to 15 pupils...The school was small, built of hewn logs. It had long boards on each sice, full length, with desks before them two or three feet apart. The west side of the room was for the boys, the east was the girls side. On one occasion the boys and girls traded sides but habit was strong and they traded back again.
The walls of the room were rough. A teachers desk was at the north end of the room, exactly in the middle, with a tall narrow cupboard undder the chimney, just behind the teachers chair. Above the cupboard door lhung the funny octagon shaped clock. On either side hung a map and a painted piece of blackboard, the sole decoration s of the bare walls, unless it were autumn leaves and ltrailing pine, which were gathered from the nearby woods and put over the windows and door in the fall or green branches in the spring and summer." (ibid)
Notes on Albert Buckman: 
In the early 1880's the railroad was laying tracks through the wilderness, pushing north from Crivitz. Albert Buckman was in charge of the railroad boarding house which moved up with the men and the new tracks as they were laid.  When the railroad reached the Amberg area in 1884, he remained.
Albert and Melissa Buckman first settled in the granite quarrying town of Argyle, located on the Pike river (just west of present day Amberg). They owned a hotel there and Albert was the first notory public in Argyle.
 Argyle was largely abandoned in the 1890's after the new village of Pike (later named Amberg) was platted some 3 miles to the east along the new railroad tracks. Many buildings from Argyle were moved to the new location.  Albert and Catherine Buckman relocated as well, purchasing two lots in the village of Pike in 1889.
Albert Buckman served as Amberg's first postmaster. His office was next to his home. There was a store on the other side of the post office, a two story builing.  A lady, who's parents had the store, said that from the upstairs they could look down and see Mr. Buckman reading the postcards.
" A.H. "Grampa" Buckman held the position of Postmaster from the time the town was organized, except for a short time when E.S. Spears of Dunbar temporarily held the position. Mail began to be carried between Amberg and Athelstane in 1899. In Sep.1903 the Post Office became the scene of what was probably the first Post Office robbery in Amberg. The burglers made an attempt to blow the front off the safe where Mr. Buckman kept valuable papers, but overlooked a drawer containing $6.00 and an unlimited amount of stamps. Marshall Butts heard the explosion around 11.00 P.M. but passed it off as a gunshot, which was much more common than robbers blasting the Post Office safe!" (Amberg, the first 100 years, Amberg Historical Society, 1990).
"In 1904 this first Post Office burned in an early morning fire. All the mail was saved, and 200 people took part in the fierce fight to save adjoining buildings against a bad wind. J.B. Wood's horses were brought up from his downtown hotel and a chain wrapped around the remaining parts of the Post Office which was then dragged into the street and away from the other buildings. Hundreds of pails of water were used to save the rest of the block which was severely threatened. A few months later, due to advancing age, Mr. Buckman tendered his resignation and Philip Downing, Deputy Postmaster, was appointed to take his place."  (ibid.)
          Children of Catherine Hale and Albert H. Buckman:
                i. Arthur Willis Buckman,
                        b. Morristown, Mar. 4, 1854,
                        d. Amberg, May 17, 1910, of pneumonia,
                        bur. Rural Cem. Flintville,
Harriet A. Lindsay of Flintville. Probably in Flintville, May 22, 1879, 
Notes on Arthur Willis Buckman:
"The work of packing shingles in the mills grew to be a contest of skilled workers. George Glassett and Arthur Buckman won notoriety at lamb, Watson company's mill at Flintville, for being great packers." (A Story of Pittsfield and Suamico).
                                 Children of Arthur Willis Buckman and Harriet A Lindsay Buckman:
                                         i. Edna M Buckman.,
                                                d. Aug. 4, 1880,
                                                bur. Rural cem. Flintville.
                                         ii. Lila A. Buckman,
                                                b. July 12, 1887,
Edward  A. Green, June 27, 1907.
                                         iii. Barbara Buckman,
                                                b. Feb. 22, 1890,
                                                d. Sep. 19, 1913,
                                                bur. Amberg cem.,
Earl E. Terwillegar, July 9, 1912.
                                         iv. Myrtle Buckman,
                                                b. May 21, 1901,
                                                m. Feb. 14, 1917, W.D. Freeburg.

         (10). ii. Warren Lamont Buckman,
                        b. W. Pensaukee, July 21, 1857,
                        m. Florence (Hubbard) (Wait) Hale.

(7). WINFIELD SCOTT 3 HALE, (Leonard 2, Jinks 1)
         b. Morristown, N.Y. Jan. 6, 1846 (fam. Bible),  
        d. M.&M. Hospital, Marinette, Wis., Apr. 13, 1888 (g.s. unknown),
Florence A. (Hubbard) Wait , widow of William R. Wait (marriage rec.), Marinette, Wis., May 12, 1886 (by John McGillis, J.P.).
Notes on Winfield Scott Hale: 
On Oct. 9, 1861, at the age of 18, while still living in N.Y. state, Winfield Hale joined the army as a member of Co. K. 18th Reg. Infantry. He also served in the Home Guards at Carthage, N.Y. under Capt. Baker. He was honorably discharged May 28, 1863 at Albany, N.Y. (Civil War pension application of Florence Buckman). 
From the Oconto Co. Reporter, Feb. 4, 1882 reporting on the suicide of the husband of the above, Florence
A. (Hubbard) Wait, who married Winfield Hale:
 "William R. Wait, residing near West Pensaukee in this county, committed suicide last Tuesday morning, by shooting himself through the head, from the effects of which he died instantly. At the inquest it was discovered that the cause which led the poor fellow to take his own life was partial insanity, resulting from the loss of property, failing health and a fear that he and his family would come to want."
In the early 1880's  Winfield Hale struck out from his home in Abrams to become a pioneer in the Crivitz area (then called Ellis Junction).
"Levi Hale and his brother Winfield helped in surveying and mapping the territory in and around  Crivitz.." (Crivitz Centenial Book, 1883-1983, Centenial Committee).
"The first postmaster in Crivitz was Winfield Hale in 1883." (ibid).
In 1884, Winfield Hale was granted 120 acres in N1/2NE, Sec. 10, Twp. 32N  R.19E by U.S. govt. land patent.  This is currently (2010) known as the Weinhart farm, located some 6 miles west of  Crivitz. After Winfield's death this became the property of his brother Levi and was the site of one of Levi Hale's Indian trading posts.
Excerpts from Early Days In The Lumber Business, as found on this site:
"We went up river in a boat from above snow falls to the rapids in Sec. 30, Twp. 33, R. 17. The trees had grown all the way across the river at this point and we could not go any further with the boat so we walked up river to the north side of Sec. 30. The mosquitoes were so thick that we could hardly stand it and Modoc (an Indian guide they had hired, mentioned also in "My Pioneer Mother," see below) said he could make a smudge, but the mosquitoes bit him so fiercely that he could not keep the match going long enough to light the fire. But finally he got a smudge started and we ate our lunch. We then took a trail leading to Waubee Lake where a man by the name of Hale had a hunters' and fisherman's resort. A wheel road from this point ran to Ellis Junction and during the time that this place was operated by Hale great quantities of venison and fish were hauled to Ellis jlunction and shipped. It was said that lthe venison was shipped in boxes and billed as mutton....."
A complete version of this account can be found on this site as mentioned above.
Exerpts from Norman Johnson of Laona, Wisconsin, who ran the Winfield Hale trading post on McCaslin Mt. in the town of Silver Cliff in 1884:
 "Indians would come from Minnesota to hunt for about 3 months, we did such a big business the last fall there was 300 Indians hunted for the Win Hale post.
When my brother and I arrived at Win Hale's block house there was a man by the name of Jack Dorn in charge. He was there from early spring of 1884 until December. About 100 Indians came into the post, receips were about $500.00--talk about buckskin, fur, and snowshoes. Win had a load of about $1000.00 worth of fur and buckskin during the winter.
In 1888 Win Hale had a man by the name of Hilston build him a boat at Menominee. His intention was to sail around the Horn then north to Alasky (sp) to trade up there with the natives. My brother was captain of the boat. I believe they started for Alasky; in February 1889 they got as far as Memphis when Win was taken sick. The Dr. there advised him to go back to Wisconsin to regain his health, but he died in the hospital in Marinette. My brother stayed with the boat, after Win died Mrs. Hale told him to sell the boat and the trade equipment, and that ended one man's ambition to see the great north.
Perhaps you would like to know something of Win Hale's business. In yrs. of 1887 and 88 he had a branch trading post at Otter Lake which I looked after that took care of about 75 Indians. Had another post one mile north-west of Town on Bass Lake that looked after 50 Indians and at Waubee Lake about 25, and on the big hill (McCaslin Mt.) about 50 Indians. Kept 2 teams busy from November til January. 1888 was his big year, he had $10,000 in cash and $10,000 in due bills--his bills was good for one dollar each in merchandise.
Win didn't make his shipments until January. He shipped 300 pair of showshoes, for how much I don't know. He hauled the venison saddles with 4 ribs attached and the hide wrapped around it to Ellis Junction (Crivitz). The saw mill had a spur about la quarter mile back from the mill through the heavy jack pine timber that they didn't use that winter. Mr. Hale had his teamsters pile these venison saddles in along side of this spur like cordwood. Here is the surprise, when he made the shipment the weight was 84 tons of venison. He got 25 cents a pound less commission and freight charges. He paid 5 cents a pound for the venison, he mada a big profit. On his trade goods he sold mens trousers for $6.00 a pair, he paid $1.25 a pair. Calico sold for 12 to 15 centt a yard."
(Athelstane-Silver Cliff Centenial, 2005, Centenial Committee).
From, Marinette County Bearing Tree Historical Marker:
 "This hemlock tree, 24', now 26' in diameter marking the adjoining corners of Sect's 22, 23, 26, 27, Township 34N, R. 17E., 4th meridian, Federal Gov't. survey of public land domain, June 6, 1856 by Alonzo P. Foster established this bearing tree, one of the few that still survive in Wis. Re-surveyed in 1935 by Marinette County.
Site of fur trading post built by Winfield Hale of wooden blocks on the old up river supply road from Crivitz to Waube Lake in 1884 and operated in 1885 by Norman Johnson. Was located 3/10 of a mile souty of this marker." 
Notes on Florence A. (Hubbard) Wait Hale: 

From the Marinette Eagle Star (prob.) date unknow but likely sometime ca. 1930, Florence gives her own account of the early days in the area as follows:
 Mrs. Florence A. Buckman of Amberg.
Relates tales of Silver Mining.

Antigo, Wis.---Replying to a letter from Earle B. Holman, secretary of the Langlade Co. Historical Society, Mrs. Florence A. Buckman related some interesting legends of the Peshtigo river country. This letter follows:
"Pardon delay. Yours received some days ago inquiring about one Bill Johnson, for whom Johnson Falls on the Peshtigo river is said to have been named. I have had some other inquiries in recent years in regard to him. Whatever may have been known of him has been lost with the passing of his contemporaries, or those immediately following.
However, so far as the Chippewa chief, White Eagle, who used to visit Thunder Lake (Dutch) Frank. I was intimately acquainted with him and his tribe. His Indian name was Waba-skip-a-ness, and I may add that Waba lake was named for him, although at present it is spelled Waubee, a corruption of the original. I lived for several years within calling distance of the tribe on the lake and l acquired a smattering of their language. I frequently employed one of the women to assist in heavy work. The children of lthe tribe became very friendly and brought me odd formations of plants, stone specimens, and other curios.
I recall that in the early history relative to Peshtigo river and vicinity that a man (name and date unknown) became lost in the country north of the river and wandered many days without food or shelter. In his wanderings he approached the river near Caldron Falls and hearing the roar of the water made his way to the stream and followed its course until he reached civilization. It may or may not have been Johnson. He brought with him a sample of silver ore very rich in the precious metal. His ambition was to return with others and locate the place where he found it. However exposure had done its work and he died leaving only a meagre description of the location.
In the early '80s a Mr. McCaslin and son Henry of Oconto prospected until they located what they believed to be the silver mine and began operations. Before they got any tangible results, however, the son was shot accidentally while handling a shot gun and the father returned to Oconto. I have never heard that anyone ever made another attempt to mine in that locality. The place is now known as McCaslin mountain and brook.
I shall be glad to give you any information I can about the early days of my pioneering in that vicinity, or ofl the few inhabitants."
Mrs. Florence A. Buckman.
Sometime in the 1960s, Florences daughter, Lenore (Buckman) (Nickel) Beck, wrote about her mother's life in the following story titled:
"My Pioneer Mother."
"My mother was a woman of fiercely decided traits, and when she thought she was right, she had the courage to stand by her convictions. For instance, she hated liquor, and if my father happened to be talking to someone in front of a saloon, as she passed by she refused to even nod at nim. Eyes front! In later years she was convinced she had heart trouble, although several doctors assured her that the contrary was true. She felt they didn't want to alarm her by telling her the truth, so she insisted on an impaired heart until she died of a stroke at the age of 81.
Born Florence Ada Hubbard June 22, 1858, she was raised at Brier Hill, New York, on the St. Lawrence River. She married quite young to William Waite, who was much older than she. Shortly after they were married, he lhad a tailor cut out a pair of trousers, took them to Mother and said, "sew these up for me." She hadn't the slightest idea what to do, but being spunky, she ripped up an old pair, jotted down step by step how they went together, and made the trousers.
When her daughter was four years old they went South, hopine to find help for her husbands failing health. As he did not improve, they decided to go West to the mountains, and set out for Helena, Montana. By this time Mother was an accomplished seamstress, even doing tailoring, and was supporting the family.
At that time the railroad only ran as far as Omaha, Nebraska, and the rest of the way was by stagecoach. When they reached Omaha, Mother said, "We are so tired, let's not take the stage out today, let's get a nights rest at a hotel, and go out tomorrow." So they did that, and later they heard that the first stage had been held up and robbed by road agents.
On the second day out, the driver stopped his horses, got down, opened the stage door, and whispered, "Has anyone got a gun?"  Everyone thought, "road agents," and the men got out with guns ready. The driver pointed up the hill where a mountain lion lay asleep with his head on his paws. Several men fired, but the lion never moved a muscle. Then the driver laughed. The lion was a very life-like combination of logs and rock.
The coaches were built to hold nine people, but the passenger list numbered fourteen. Mother became so tired that her head dropped onto the shoulder of the man next to her, and she slept. Her husband tried to rouse her, but the gentleman said, "Just let her sleep, she is all tired out."
As a dressmaker, Mother easily got work, but her husband's health continued to fail. She had relatives living near Abrams, so they decided to come to Wisconsin. By then the railroad had pushed on to Helena, and the return trip was made in comfort.
Mr. Wait passed away in 1882, and mother later married  Winfield Hale. Mr. Hale was a Civil War veteran and loved the woods. Starting a trading post for the Indians, they moved into a log cabin on Waubee Lake in Oconto County. They bought venison hides, berries, and other things from the Indians, and sold them cloth, flour, guns and staple goods. They also ran a hunting camp for hunters from the cities.
One wealthy man from Chicago decided to rough it and camp by himself. It didn't turn out so well and he sent a member of his party to my mother and asked if he could borrow her cook stove, as his chef did not know how to cook over an open fire.
A band of Chippewa Indians lived across the lake. The chief's name was Waubeskibinas, hence the name  Waubee Lake. his son was Modoc and his daughter was Kenewaubeque, which means morning flower or morning glory.
One morning Mother was washing clothes outdoors when the Indian women across the lake started to wave their arms and cry, "Shkode, shkode!" A couple of them came running around the lake. They dashed up to Mother's cabin. Each grabbed a couple of pails and raced to the lake, filled the pails with water and ran back to the house. Mother was dumbfounded, she couldn't figure what it was all about. But the roof of the cabin was on fire and the Indians had seen it. The "shkode" meant fire.
One day one of the Indian guides was in the woods and stepped over a log, right into a nest of bear cubs. Of course they squealed and the mother came running. She took a swipe at the man's head with her paw, pulling his scalp down over his face. He tried to lie perfectly still, but the blood began to smart and pain his eyes unbearably. He tried, very carefully and slowly, to move a hand up over his eyes. The mother bear saw it, grabbed his wrist and chewed it through and through. The guide managed to endure the pain and lie quietly until the bear had coaxed her cubs out of hearing. When he decided it was safe to move, he crawled out on his hand and knees, back to camp. Luckely, he recovered.
The trading post hauled their supplies by horse and wagon from Crivitz, about fifty miles away. The nearest neighbor was five miles away, and once Mother rode there on horseback to get a "setting" of eggs, a dozen or so, as she had a hen who wanted to "set." That is, the hen wouldn't get off her nest, but wanted eggs put under her. She would set on these for three weeks, only coming off once a day to eat. At the end of the three weeks, the eggs had fluffy little chickens inside of them who broke the shells with their bills, and came out into the world.
The Indians loved pictures, and as Mother papered her walls with newspapers, more for cleanliness than beauty, the Indian women would come in and study the illustrations. Sometimes they would become so absorbed and quiet that Mother would forget they were there. One day, however, they cried out angrily, shaking their fists at a picture of Indians, "Eyah, Eyah, Winnebagos!  Winnegagos!" It seems there was enmity between the tribes, and by their moccasins, they had recognized the Winnebago people.
Mother handled her own birch bark canoe, paddling all over the lake, trapping, skinning her game, and curing the hides herself. I really think she enjoyed this period of her life to the very fullest. She surely could adjust herself to any mode of life.
I don't know how long they lived at Waubee Lake, but they did make quite a lot of money, and they decided to go to Alaska. If it had gone through, probably mother would have hunted Polar Bears, and learned the Eskimo language, as she had the  Chippewa.
They started down the Mississippi River by boat, but at New Orleans, Mr. Hale became ill with some fever, and they returned to Wisconsin, where he passed away within a short time.
In 1888, she married my father, Warren L. Buckman. When I was five years old, my brother Albert, or "Buckie" as he was known all his life, was born. The house we lived in then was also an Indian Trading Post. This one, built by my father around 1883, was the first building constructed on the site that would later become the village of Pike, later re-named Amberg. Father was raised in Brown County, but came north as a young man. Loading his wagons with goods, he traveled up the old Pine River Road until reaching the rapids below "Dow Dam" on the Pike River, where he pitched his tents and sold his wares to the loggers at the nearby camp. The following year he built a permanent structure, our house, and began a business trading with the Indians at White Rapids on the Menominee River and with the loggers at the various camps.
When I was 10 years old, we moved onto a piece of wild land west of Amberg. My father being a carpinter, hastily threw up the shell of a house. The windows, all chewed by porcupines, came from an abandoned lumber camp. The doors were strips of carpet, nailed at the top. When it rained, we would anchor them at the bottom too and hope for the best. But bit by bit, it became a full fledged house.
Times were pretty rugged, and Mother could economize as no lother person I ever knew. She would make out a grocery list, then go through it and cross out everything we could get along without until the next trip to town. Spices being cheaper than vanilla, we had spice cakes for several years. When we moved, my brother and I located and ate what shredded coconut Mother had on hand, and it was a long , long time before we had any more.
Of course, we had cows, "Baby," "Cherry," "Fawn," and Mother would skim the cream off the milk and make butter. Then she soured the skim milk and made cottage cheese. Then she took the whey from that and made whey buns. If she had been asked, I'm sure she could have found a way to utilize the squeel from the hogs at the packing houses.
She usually worked at several jobs at once. For instance, we always had griddle cakes for breakfast, and between turnovers, she would dash into her bedroom, and by the time the cakes were all fried, her bed would be made too. But I must confess we often ate burned griddle cakes.
She didn't feel as though there ws anything in the house for company unless she had white cookies, dark cookies, and doughnuts, often frying a big batch of doughnuts before breakfast.
She made all our clothes, and knit our long black stockings. When she was small, and walked along the road to play with her cousin, she always carried her knitting bag on her arm, and knit as she walked, so she just could not remember when she learned to knit. She didn't make our shoes, but she did make buckskin moccasins the way she learned from the Indians.
She always had fancy work ready to grab up at every spare moment. It was a matter of pride that every pillow slip she owned, made of flour sacks, of course, either had lace or embroidery on it. One year she kept track of the garments she made, and it averageded one a week.
Whatever she did, she threw herself into it wholeheartedly and was so interested in everything at hand. I think Mother must have lived by two mottos:
1. "Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today."
2. "Never buy anything you can make yourself."
She had supreme contempt for anyone who bought canned goods from a store. We had a lady hotel keeper and Mother used to say of her, unflatteringly, "She dashes to the grocery at eleven in the morning, and again at four, and comes home with her arms full of tin cans and paper bags."
We never had fresh fruit or cookies from the store. Two things I remember. When I had mumps, along with my girl chum, her mother bought bananas for her, and I didn't have any. Then our neighbor, a foreign lady, died, and the family invited us for lunch after the funeral, as was their custom. And they served frosted store cookies and LUMP sugar-- a red letter day for me. I don't suppose I had ever seen lump sugar before.
After my father's death, Mother applied for an army pension, Mr. Hale being a veteran. And of all the papers she had to produce! Her birth certificate, all three of her marriage certificates, all three death certificates, Mr. Hale's discharge papers, and other military information. How she ever managed to hang onto them, I'll never know. Of course, it took a long time and a lot of searching through trunks and boxes in attics and basements. Finally she had everything except Mr. Hales death certificate. Repeated trips to the hospital where he died, in Marinette, and searches through newspapers of that date, failed to turn up the information. At last the office girl at the old M&M hospital in Marinette had an idea. She said, "We have one more chance. I believe we have some old records stored in the attic." And there she found Mr. Hale's bedside chart which was acceptable, and Mother finally received a pension of forty dollars a month.
For the first time in her life she felt security, and she surely enjoyed it. She invested in a permanent wave--I think her first one was twelve dollars, dresses by a dressmaker and so on. It must have been a wonderful experience, after having denied herself so much all her life.
Although Mother had great tenacity and stuck to a project, there were two things that had her stumped. She could never learn to make tatted lace, nor to ride a bicycle, and she surely tried.
One lifetime project also failed. Willie Dickenson, eight years old, disappeared on his way home from school, in a Michigan town, where his father was superintendent of a mine. Willie was in sight of someone all the way home except for a short strip of timber. Workman on the road saw him enter this, but no one saw him come out into the open. Some thought a disgruntled miner might have abducted him, and others laid it to the Indians. All her life my mother hunted Willie Dickenson. She wrote hundreds of letters, and called numerous Indians to our home for interviews. Several times she thought she had located him, and she did restore a couple of boys to their parents, but she never found the boy she was looking for. His disappearance is still a mystery.
The summer she was seventy-five years old she developed uremic poisoning which couded her brain, and her mind was gone all summer. She didn't recognize us, and called me Sarah, the cousin with whom she had played as a child. She recovered in late fall, but it seemed as though part of her had died. She was quite different from then on.
When she was eighty-one years old she had a stroke. At first she could speak and kept asking what day of lthe month it was. She lived two weeks, and as she grew weaker and lunable to talk, she would point to the calendar. We couldn't imagine why, but on November first, her pension check came. She made us understand she wanted to sign it, so we helped her, and that everning she passed away. Her indomitable will didn't fail her, but kept her going until the very last--that of a very remarkable woman."
(8). LEVI FREDRICK 3 HALE, (leonard 2, Jinks 1)
        b. Thresa, N.Y. Apr. 19, 1853,
        d. Crivitz, Wis. Nov. 17, 1938,
        m. (1).
Anna M. Buckman,  May 6, 1885, (adopted daughter of his half sister, Melissa),
                    d. June, 1902;
        m. (2).
Mary A. (Colborn) Weinhart,  Aug.  13, 1902.
Notes on Levi Frederick Hale: 
 Levi Hale spent his early years in N.Y. state, then in Abrams, and later as a pioneer in/around Crivitz, Wis.
 "Into this (Crivitz area) land of great pines and hardwoods came Levi Hale, John Seymour, Fredrick Bartels, Hieronymus Zech, and many others, to settle here and to help in creating a new civilization in this northern world." (Crivitz, 1883-1983 Centenial booklet).
"Levi Hale held several offices in the Town of Stephenson, including chairman of lthe town and secretary of the Crivitz School Board for many years." (ibid)
"Levi and his brother, Winfield, helped in surveying and mapping the territory in and around Crivitz. He was the Marinette County Surveyman for many years and was in charge of location settlers in the region." (ibid)
"In 1907 he became the surveyor for the Northeastern Power Company, now Wisconsin Public Service Corporation, to locate and map dam sites on the Peshtigo  River. He advised the power company to purchase all of the lands adjacent to the "flowage" in order to preserve the wilderness. His advce was taken and today we can thank this pioneer for his sensitivity for this area. He lived by this conviction and although he owned a piece of land at Twin Bridges and lived there, in his will he declared a "life estate" only and at his death it reverted back to the power company." (ibid)
"Levi lived out the remainder of his life at Twin Bridges and died in 1938 at the age of 85. His daughter, Viola Nazzal-Baudendistle lives in Sun City and his grandson George Nazzal lives northwest of Crivitz near Athelstane." (ibid).
In reference to the "Wausaukee Club" a private club near Athelstane, Wis. which encompases a section of land with a large lake called "Elbow Lake," as below:
 "Levi F. Hale had a trading post on the southeast end of Elbow Lake. Hale was well known locally and in the Crivitz area as a trader and land surveyer." (Athelstane-Silver Cliff Centenial, 2005).
"The first road from Wausaukee followed an Indian trail, which followed upstream of the Wausaukee River to what was at one time called Glendale. Here they forded the river and went west and then north of Spies Lake, then west and southwest to Elbow Lake, where there was an Indian trading post run by an early settler by the name of Levi Hale." (ibid, recollections of Chas. lundberg).
Below referring to the Levi Hale trading post ca. 6 miles west of Crivitz:
 "A Tribal Council Ring and campsite was located just south of the Hale Trading Post where the four tribes (Menominee, Ottawa, Winnebago, and Potawatomi) would gather for tribal meetings and ceremonial dances." (Crivitz, 1883-1983, Centenial Booklet)
"In 1885, Mike and Dave Engler, Levi Hale, and Eli Bell, blazed a trail from Peshtigo to the outlet river south of Lake Noquebay, (ibid).
At some point Levi Hale also had a store in the village of Crivitz, "Levi Hale's store was next to his house on Main St." (ibid).
Pioneer Who Died Yesterday Had Indians as His Customers
"Funeral services for Levi Fredrick hale, pioneer Marinette county farmer who died early yeaterday morning in his home at Crivitz, will be conducted Friday afternoon at 2:00 in his residence.  The remains were removed to the home this afternoon.
Levi Hale, who was born in Thresa, N.Y. on April 19, 1853, came to Marinette county in 1873 and took up a homestead near Crivitz. At that place he established a trading post where he conducted business with the Indians for many years. He later turned the post into the farm he operated until hes death. Mr. Hale was well known as a timber estimator and surveyer. For several years he served as county surveyor and also during his lifetime was chairman of lthe board of the town of Stephenson. For the past 20 years he had spent the summer at Twin Bridge on the Peshtigo river.
Surviving him are three sons, Warren  E. Hale, Tacoma Wash.; Albert E. Hale, Plymouth; Jesse J. Hale, Milwaukee; and one daughter, Mrs. James Nazzal, Jerico, Palestine; four step sons, Fred and Will. Weinhart, Tacoma; Clarence Weinhart, Grand Rapids; Oscar Weinhart, Crivitz, and one step daughter, Mrs. A.B. Worthing, Channing." 
(9). Levi H. 3 Hale, (Lewis 2, Jinks 1)
        b. Morristown, N.Y. June 25, 1845,
        d. Lena, Wis., Dec. 13, 1908,
        m. (1). Mary Stacy,
                b. Lowel, Mass., June 27, 1853,
                d. Lena, June 1, 1894 of "consumption" (death rec.)  
        m. (2).
Kate M. (Williams) Widger, Meniminee, Mich., May, 6, 1893 (by Thomas Breen, J.P.)
                b. Appleton, Wis., widow of Elbert D. Widger, a Civil War vet. who d. Lena, Apr. 2, 1893.
Notes on Levi H.  Hale: 
At the time of Levi's marriage to Kate Widger, she had 4 children from her previous husband, George Widger, b. Apr. 28, 1878; Cyrus Widger, b. July 10, 1881; Vanessa Widger, b. Oct. 26, 1884; and Hazel Widger, b. Sep. 5, 1888. (Civil War pension application of Kate Hale).
Levi H. Hale is in Abrams for the census of 1870 in the household of J. S. Hale, as, carpenter, ae. 25. As J.S. Hale had lost his only son in the Civil War he was surely in need of assistance on his farm.
From the Oconto Co. Reporter:
Levi Hale is Dead
Founder of Lena Passed Away Suddenly Sunday
Resident Half Century
One Best Known Pioneers of  County
Levi Hale, one of the best known pioneers of the county who has been closely identified with the business and official life of this town, passed away suddenly and peacefully about 4:30 Sunday afternoon of heart failure about 10 minutes after returning from a walk which he had taken up the street, as he said, "to get some fresh air."
Deceased was born in New York state June 25, 1845, and when a boy came to this country and had lived at various points in the county ever since except a brief time spent in Peshtigo and in the army to join which he walked from Peshtigo to Green Bay, whence as a stowaway he went to Detroit, Mich., where he enlisted in a Michigan regiment and served till the close of the civil war.
At one time he was in the coal business and ran a cedar yard at Brookside station and later went to Lena among its first settlers. Here he engaged in business with Eugene Chesley in a post mill and was the first mill man, hotel man and merchant in the village. Later he was a senior member of the firm of Hale, Pelkey, and Dutton. This was about 18 years ago and after the firm had run this way for a time Mr. Dutton withdrew and a few weeks later a disastrous fire wiped out the business. The insurance being in an insolvent company nothing was recovered.
He was not only closely identified with the early business interests of this town and village but with its political and official life as well. He was the first chairman of the town which position he held for several years, first postmaster of the village which positiono he has helde during thle Republican administrations ever since, was the first county supervisor of assessments and has always been in the front in political councils of the Republican party in this town. At his death the business of the post office was being attended to by the Misses Wondrash and Buchberger while he was an active member of the Lena Law Land and Loan Association.
His first wife who was Miss Vanie Stacy, died almost 18 years ago and he was again married about 5 years ago, his second wife survives him.
The funeral was held at 10:00 yesterday forenoon from Schoenebeck's hall, Lena and his remains taken by train to Abrams thence by team to Brookside cemetery, where they were laid beside those of his father and first wife, with the impressive funeral service of the Odd Fellows of which organization he was a member.

(10). WARREN LAMONT 4 BUCKMAN, (Catherine 3, Leonard 2, Jinks 1)
        b. W. Pensaukee (now Abrams) July 21, 1857,
        d. Marinette, Wis. Apr. 14, 1925, bur. Amberg,
Florence (Hubbard) (Wait) Hale, Marinette, Nov. 2, 1888,
                b. Brier Hill, St. Lawrence Co. N.Y. June 22, 1858,
                d. Amberg, Nov. 1, 1939,
                bur. Amberg, dau. of Levi Buel and Adelia Anna (Jaquith) Hubbard, and widow, respectively, of William R. Wait, and Winfield Scott Hale.
Notes on Warren Lamont Buckman: 
Warren Buckman's parents lived in Flintville, Brown Co. but he was born in W. Pensaukee. It is likely that he was born in the house of J.S. Hale, who had settled W. Pensaukee the previous year, as there were no other relatives (known to this writer) to be living in W. Pensaukee at this early date. Perhaps J.S. Hale's wife, Sophie, was a midwife of some ability, or other reason(s) unknown.
 Warren and Florence, would have known (or known of) each other since childhood, as Warren's grandfather, Leonard Hale, and Florence's grandmother, Almira (Scofield) Jaquith, had married as second spouses. Thus Warren's mother, Catherine Hale, and Florences mother, Adelia (Jaquith) Hubbard (at age 4 and 2 respectively when this marriage occurred in 1842) would have been raised as stepsisters in the household of Leonard Hale.
Warren Buckman spent his earlier years in Flintville on his parents farm. He is quoted as follows regarding hop growing on the farm:
" While the clearings of the settlers were yet too small to make it practical to raise grain for the market. There was much casting about to find a crop which could be grown on a small acreage and sold as a money crop. My father had come from New York state wher hop growing was quite a business, and it occurred to him that hops might solve the problem. He talked the matter over with his near neighbor, H.P. Hayden, and they decided to each try two acres. The roots for starting were mostley wild, being dug in the woods along the river. These were planted in hills about six feet apart each way. The vines were thinned to two to a hill and a cedar pole twelve to fifteen feet high stuck in the center for the vines to climb on. They were cultivated the same as corn; it was a nice shady place to work in during hot weather; but the real fun was hop-picking time in the fall. Each yard about three crews of four girls to the crew, each crew had a large box holding sixteen bushels which was divided into four quarters of four bushels each which was called a box and was considered a day's work for a girl. A man tended each crew, bringing the poles and taking them away, and woe to the one who jarred the box, shaking down the contents. The girls received 50 cents per box, with board and lodging. The two yards were onlyl labout forty rods apart, and every night the girls had a gay time. Our house was small and sleeping room was short. The girls had to sleep 'three in a bed,' and I remember one girl who complained one morning that she 'had to sleep all night on the ridgepole.'
My father put up a building for a dry kiln, where the hops were dried by artificial heat until by taking one lby the stem and blowing on the tip, one could blow off the petals. Then they were baled and ready for market. After two or three years the price of hops went so low that the yards did not pay and they were plowed up. This was about 1870, and as far as I know the industry has never been revived in Brown Co." (A Story of Pittsfield and Suamico)
Warren Buckman also wrote poetry and the following are two examples of his work.
  The Boards on the Bottom of the Rack
There's an old log barn on my fathers' little farm,
   And I know every rafter in its frame,
I have bumped my head on every knot and peg,
   As I mowed away the clover when it came.
You may talk about the perfume of the new mown hay,
   Of the sweet aroma of the clover in the bay,
But to stand waist deep in that stringy, tangled heap,
   With the sweat running rivers down your back,
There's nothing that looks better to the fellow in the mow
   Than the boards on the bottom of the rack.
It's a man size job to pitch off a load of hay,
   So they always put the boy up in the mow'
They expect him to do the work that's meant for two,
   But they never stop to figure out just how.
When the mercury stands a hundred the hay keeps coming up,
   And you wonder if that load comprises all the season's cut,
When your throat is full of hay seed and your nose is full of dust,
   And your head is palpitating like as if 'twas boing to bust,
You forget about the perfume that the wind is wafting back
   When you hear the pitchfork rattle on the bottom of the rack.
Oh, the bottom of the rack looks good to me,
It's just about the color that it ought to be;
No painting in the world could improve the shade
Of the bottom of the rack that father made.
Those Dear Old Wrinkled Hands 
In a weather beaten cottage
Where the spreading maples stand,
I was raised from early childhood
Til I grew to be a man.
That old weather beaten cottage
By the roadside there still stands
But what most in memory lingers
Is a pair of wrinkled hands.
How distinctly I remember
When a little barefoot boy,
I stood close beside my mother
While she fixed a broken toy.
On her lips she'd wet her fingers,
Brush the hair back from my brow;
Would to God those dear old fingers
Once again could do that now.
They knit all my sox and mittens
And the washed and patched my clothes,
They smoothed out the many wrinkles
From my little childish woes,
And the soothed my brow in sickness
When life held by slender strands,
Often since in pain and anguish
I have missed those dear old hands.
On her silent breast they're folded
And have been for many years,
And the grass that grows above them
Has been wet with bitter tears;
And if choice were mine for wishing--
Choice my lonely heart demands---
It would be to press with ferver
Once again those dear old hands.
When the Master sends his angel
For to guide my journey home,
And my wand'ring footsteps never
More on this old earth shall roam,
When I enter that fair mansion
Where the prince of glory stands,
Then  mine eyes shall ne'er tire feasting
On those dear old wrinkled hands.

W.L. Buckman,  Amberg, Wis. Oct. 1917.
"On a cold and frosty morning in the early fall of 1883, the creak of wagon wheels and the sound of hoofs broke the stillness along the Pine River road. Up into the northern wilderness from Green Bay came Warren Buckman, the first permanent settler of Amberg. The wagon was well loaded with blankets, clothing, guns, and ammunition, all materials for starting a trading post.
He pitched his tents just west of the Pike river across from the present Catholic church. For several weeks he traded his wares for furs, ginseng, and venison saddles. In late fall he left for Green Bay to replenish his stock. When he returned in the spring he built his log trading post on the east bank of the Pike near the foot of Dow Rapids. The remains of this old building can still be seen." (History of Amberg, Sophomore Class of the Amberg High School, 1947).
Warren Buckman served as Amberg's town chairman and member of the Marinette Co. Board, from 1892-1893, from 1913-1916, and from 1918-1920.
        Children of Warren and Florence Buckman:
                 i. Geneva Lenore Buckman,  
                        b. Amberg, Dec. 7, 1889, 
Edward Nickel, Amberg,  Aug. 26, 1910,
                                b. Princeton, Wis. Jan. 24, 1887, son of Fredrick and Wilhemina (Reitz) Nickel of Zeibenschlossen, Posen, E. Prussia.
                        Children of Geneva Lenore and Edward Nickel.
                                 i. Warren Fredrick Nickel,
                                            b. June 17, 1911,
                                            m. Martha Pawlicki of Crivitz, children: Warren, Dennis, Sharon, Mark.
                                 ii. Cecil Nickel,
m. Agnes Lundgren of Marinette, child: Laurence.
                                 iii. Dorothy Nickel,
                                            b. Dec. 6, 1915,
                                            m. (1). Leroy Enquist, one child, Sandra,
                                            m. (2). Elmer West, children, Elmer, Jr. and Stephen.
                                 iv. Florence Nickel,
                                             b. Oct. 9, 1920,
Elmer Churchill, Iron Mr., Mich. Dec. 22, 1938,
                                                    b. Harmony, Wis. May 30, 1915.
                                             Children of Florence and Elmer Churchill:
                                                     i. Allen Churchill, Living
                                                    ii. Diane Churchill Living
                                                   iii. Michael Churchill (the author of this history of the Hales),  Living.
                                                   iv. Jeffery, Churchill  Living.
                  ii. Alberg Elijah Buckman,
                            b. Amberg,  1895,
                            d. Crivitz, 1956,
                            m. (1). Deena (____),
                            m. (2). Hazel Cutler,
                            m. (3) Marie Barlow, no children from 3rd. marriage.  
                            Children of  Albert and Deena Buckman,
                                     i.   Warren Arthur Buckman, died young, married ?, no childrern.
                                    ii.  Winfield Buckman, became a missionary in South America, children: Larry, Susan.
                             Child of Albert and Hazel Cutler Buckman:
                                     i Joy Buckman,
                                            m. (1). Dean Malone
Buckman, no children,
                                            m. (2). Norman Krumrei, children: Richard, Terry, Tracy, Marty.