Search billions of records on

Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
Collected and posted by RITA

This site is exclusively for the FREE access of individual researchers.
* No profit may be made by any person, business or organization through publication, reproduction, presentation or links
to this site.


Transcribed by Maxine Nichols
Researched by Cathe Ziereis
except where other wise noted.

Oconto County Reporter
1 January 1892

We regret to announce the death of Norma, only child of Mr. and Mrs. P. Keef, which occurred at Chicago Tuesday.  Norma was almost five years old and was with her mother who was visiting relatives in Chicago.  The remains were brought to this city Wednesday night and buried yesterday afternoon from St. Joseph’s church.  The bereaved parents have the sympathy of many friends in their affliction.


At her home in Morgan, Oconto County, Wisconsin, Friday, December 18, 1891, after a long and painful illness Hannah Dean, wife of Rev. John Banta, aged sixty-eight years, and nine months.
The deceased came to Wisconsin from Chicago with her husband in 1869, and has since resided in Oconto, Brown and Outagamie counties, where her husband labored as a minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  She was a remarkable gentle and kind disposition, patient and hopeful to the end.  An invalid husband, three sons and two daughters and a wide circle of friends believe their great loss to be her gain.

The funeral and burial occurred Sunday December 20th.

Oconto Reporter
8 January 1892

Mrs. Huff Jones received a telegram Sunday evening announcing the death, that morning, of her eldest brother, Mr. Turner.  The deceased resided near Connorsville, Ind. and was for years before his death a prominent Odd Fellow, having occupied the highest office in the jurisdiction of Indiana.


Died, in the Town of Little River, Jan. 13th 1892, Joseph LaCourt of pneumonia, after an illness of only six days.

Deceased was 60 years of age, and his sudden and untimely death is a severe blow to his relatives and numerous friends.  He was born in Grez, Belgium, Jan. 26th 1832.  He moved with his family, consisting of his wife, baby, and father and mother, to America in 1855, landing at Green Bay, proceeding directly to Kewaunee, where he resided for nearly ten years.  In the fall of 1864 he removed to the City of Oconto which became his home for the next two years.  In the meantime he bought some land in the Town of Little River, three miles north of Oconto.  Here he removed his family in 1866 and began the work of making a farm, where he has resided ever since, a period of about 26 years. He was the father of 11 children, four dead, seven living—those living are Mrs. Mary Exford, Town of Stiles, Alfred LaCourt, Sagola, Michigan, Mrs. Josephine Couillard and Mrs. Lucy Matravers, Town of Oconto, Henry, Julia and Joseph LaCourt, jr. Town of Little River.  He was buried from the Presbyterian church of Little River, of which he had long been a member.  Mr. Burdick of Oconto preached the funeral sermon.  He was a man who was generally liked by all of the community, as was shown by the large attendance at church and by the friends that followed his remains to their final resting place in Oconto cemetery.

Oconto Reporter
22 January 1892

A message was received at this office recently, from Stiles, Wis. announcing the sudden death of Mrs. Hattie Macy Rodolf, wife of C.C. Rodolf and daughter of Mr. and Mrs.  J.P. Macy, of Stiles, Wis., which occurred in Spokane Falls, Washington, on Thursday.  No further particulars have yet been received by the family.  Mrs. Rodolf was a teacher in the public schools of this city before her marriage and made her home in Green Bay as a scholar and teacher for a number of years.  – Green Bay Gazette.

Shawano County Journal
North Angelica, Jan. 25, 1892.

DIED: At her home in Angelica, on Wednesday, Jan. 20th, of pneumonia, Mrs. CATHARINE LaSHAY, aged 72 years. Aunt Katie LaShay, as she was most commonly called by her friends, was one of the pioneer residents of our place, having settled here when the town was naught but a mere wilderness.

She has lived only to be loved by her large circle of friends and acquaintances. She was a kind and loving mother, was always cheerful and happy, ready at all times to sympathize with those in trouble, especially kind in sickness, and was never known to speak ill of any one, the above traits of character endearing her to the hearts of all who knew her. She leaves two sons, Messrs. John and Emmet LaShay of Angelica, and one daughter, Mrs. Sarah Dunne of Minnesota. besides four sisters, Mrs. Lydia Fink of Shawano, Mrs. Clara Richmond of Gillett, Mrs. Lavina Swane of New York, and Mrs. Susan Winton, of Dagit, Michigan; also 3 brothers, Messrs. Hiram and Chas. Wescott of Richmond, and Mr. William Wescott of Maple Valley. The heartfelt sympathies of the entire community is extended to the grief stricken relatives, and especially to the daughter and son E. H. LaShay, who was prostrated by sickness so as to be unable to attend the last sad rites of their loving mother. Rev. Mr. Oleson, together with a corps of Angelica's people, escorted the mourners and the remains of their loved one last Saturday to the Shawano cemetery, where the body was assigned its final resting place. The bearers were Messrs. Robert and Wm. Black, G. A, and Jas, McKenna, Win. Ainsworth and Wm, Dredge, Funeral services were held yesterday at the M. E. church, the text being the 24th chap, and 44th verse of S. Matthew, "Therefore be ye also ready, for in such an hour as ye think not the son of man cometh." The subject was forcibly illustrated by the pastor, Rev. Mr. Oleson, and all should be benefited thereby.

Oconto Reporter
29 January 1892

Died at Ontonagon, Mich., on Thursday afternoon, Jan. 21 1892, Jeremiah O’Keliher was temporarily sojourning at Ontonagon, being employed as scaler by the Diamond Match Co., and general bookkeepers for Francis Bros. and through exposure contracted a cold which developed into pneumonia, which in a week’s time ended in his death.  His wife, in this city was notified by wire, of his condition on Tuesday, and the same night started for Green Bay, where her son Ambrose was attending the Business College.  Wednesday morning mother and son started for Ontonagon, where they arrived the same afternoon and were thus enabled to spend a brief time with their husband and father before his demise.  The stricken relatives arrived in this city Saturday with the remains of their dead, and on Monday last all that was mortal of Jere. O’Keliher was laid away in the “silent city,” funeral services being held at St. Joseph’s Roman Catholic church.
The deceased was a native of Ireland but came to this country when quite a young man and settled at Stiles, where for years he was employed by the Eldred Lumber Co., as a bookkeeper, filling at the same time the position of town treasurer.  In 1872 he moved to this city and became deputy county treasurer for Dr. Coleman. The position he filled for six years, serving through the terms of Dr. Coleman and James McGee. For years past he was a scaler for the Eldred Lumber Co., Fort Howard and the Oconto Company in this city. Being capable, industrious and frugal, he had acquired a fair portion of the world’s goods, and leaves his family, which consists of a wife, two daughters and two sons in comfortable circumstances.

Oconto County Reporter
5 February 1892

Michael Martin, a young man aged about 25 years died at the hospital in this city last Saturday evening.  The deceased was a native of the Maritime Provinces and cam here a few years ago.  He was employed in one of the Oconto Company’s camps, where he met with a bad accident last week.  He was brought down, but blood poisoning had set in and medical skill was powerless to aid him.


Died in this city, Saturday, Jan 30, 1892, Frazer McDonald, aged 76 years.  The deceased was a native of Macadavy, New Brunswick, but came with his family to this city about 20 years ago, and has resided in the South ward.  He was a quiet and industrious citizen and enjoyed the esteem of all who knew him.  The funeral took place Tuesday afternoon from St. Mark’s Episcopal church, service being conducted by Rev. L.D. Hopkins.  The deceased is survived by a wife and seven children—three daughters and four sons, as follows:  Mrs. Chas. Johnson, of this city: Mrs. L.E. Folsom and Mrs. J.H. LaClaire, of Gladstone, Mich.; George, Paul, Mellon and Hibbard McDonald, of this city.


At the hospital in this city, on Sunday, Jan. 31, 1892, Chas. Peters, aged 29 years, 31 days.
Death was the result of an accident which befell Mr. Peters in one of Cook Bro.’s camps nearly three weeks before.  The funeral occurred at Brookside on Wednesday, services being held at the Lutheran church by Rev. Hayes of Peshtigo.  Deceased was a steady, industrious young man, and was highly respected in the community in which he lived.  He leaves a sorrowing young wife to who he was married only last May.


At his home in the East ward, Wednesday, Feb. 3, 1892, Joseph Urwan, aged 43 years, 3 month and 3 days.
Deceased was a native of Bavaria, but came to this country when quite a young man and for eighteen years past has been employed in the lumber yard of J. Spies, for many years as yardmaster.  A man of quiet manners and industrious habits, he naturally commanded the respect and esteem of many friends.  He leaves a wife and several children.


Leo John aged 4 years, 8 months and 12 days son of Mr. and Mrs. Homer Don Levy, died at the residence of his parents on Superior street on Tuesday, Feb. 2, 1892.  The little fellow had been a sufferer from some internal ailment for some months.  The funeral occurred Thursday afternoon from St. Joseph’s Roman Catholic church, Rev. Fr. Lochmana officiating.

Oconto County Reporter
12 February 1892


Died in this city, on Monday, Feb. 8, 1892, at 2:10 p.m., Mr. Augustus Cole, in the 62nd year of his age.

The deceased had been a resident of Oconto for nearly thirty years, and was one of the most widely known men in both city and county, and was held in the highest respect by all classes.  A man of sterling worth and unblemished character, strong in friendship and genial in disposition, high-minded and industrious, he was an example of business integrity, to be emulated by young men.  As a citizen, from both a social and business standpoint, he occupied a foremost position, and by his death Oconto loses one whose place it will be hard to supply.

Mr. Cole was a native of Oxford, N.Y. where he spent the earlier years of his life, receiving his education at the academy in that town.  In 1851 he obtained his first experience in the lumbering business when he went to Cooper’s Plains, N.Y. and entered the employment of his uncle, Colonel Uri Balcom, now of Chicago, with who he remained five years as superintendent.  In 1856 he came west and settled at Stiles, and for a year looked after the lumbering interests of Eldred & Balcom.  He left Stiles the next year and went to Eau Claire, where he remained for a short time. From there he went to Illinois, returning to Stiles in 1858, and once more entered the employment of Eldred & Balcom.  In 1863 he came to Oconto and cast his fortunes with the firm of Holt & Calkins, which afterwards became the firm of Holt & Balcom, and was general superintendent of the milling and logging operations of this firm, in which he owned an interest, up to 1887 when Col. Balcom retired from the business and the property passed into the hands of the Holt Lumber Co.  Shortly after the time Mr. Cole fitted up and stocked an extensive coal yard, which business he successfully conducted up to the time of his death.

When a young man, in 1853, Mr. Cole slipped and fell while helping a lady from a carriage and received a slight injury to his right knee.  The wound appeared so trifling that little attention was paid to it until inflammation had set in which resulted in a serious case of hip disease, from which he subsequently recovered, not however, until a slight deformity had resulted to the affected limb.  At various times since his accident occurred Mr. Cole has suffered more or less, but nothing beyond than temporary inconvenience was experienced until about two years ago, when he was afflicted with an attack of erysipelas.  Before thoroughly recovering from this malady he caught a cold which wound up in a case of typhoid fever.  As usual with this fever, it made its most virulent attack on the weakest part of the system, and as it passed away left the injured limb in a weakened condition that caused Mr. Cole much pain and anxiety.  He continued under medical treatment, but not recovering as fast as he desired, he visited Hot Springs, Ark., but received little or no benefit from the celebrated waters at that place.  Shortly after coming home he placed himself under the care of Dr. O’Keef, who found an abscess had formed in the limb of Mr. Cole which it was necessary to relieve by making an incision through the flesh.  Temporary relief only was obtained by this means, and as his case continued to assume a more serious phase, several surgical operations were made necessary but all to no purpose, and on Monday evening, last, at 6:10 o’clock, after making a heroic and manly struggle against the destroyer, his weary body gave up the fight and he peacefully and quietly breathed his last surrounded by sorrowing and loving friends.
In 1856 Mr. Cole was married, at Poughkeepsie, N.Y. to Miss Frances F. Davis, who has been his wise counselor and loving helpmeet up to his dissolution, and who remains, in sorrow and grief, to mourn her loss of a loving and considerate husband.  Only one child blessed this union, Mr. H. U. Cole, our respected townsman, who with his mother and uncle, Mr. Henry C. Cole, of Omaha, Neb. are the only surviving near relatives of the deceased.

The funeral took place yesterday (Thursday) afternoon from his late residence on Main Street, service being conducted by the Rev. G. Bossard, pastor of the Presbyterian church, and an immense throng of friends and sympathizers of the deceased testified to their friendship by following his remains on his last earthly journey to their place of rest in the public cemetery.
Thus closes a busy and useful life, and an eternal rest has come to one whose active and honest industry in this life has entitled him to the crown of peace.
Out of respect for the memory of the departed flags were carried at half mast on the Holt Lumber Co;s. mill and on Goodrich & Martineau’s business block during the funeral yesterday afternoon.

Shawano County Journal
Thursday, Feb. 12, 1892


The town of How shoemaker who was taken to Milwaukee some time ago for trial in the U. S. court on the charge of selling liquor to Indians hanged himself in the county jail there Tuesday morning. Grim was seen in his cell at breakfast time. About a half hour later he was found hanging to the cell door, he having taken a sheet from the bed to suspend himself. The body was cut down and taken to the morgue. Grim was 50 years of age and a shoemaker by trade. He leaves a large family in poor circumstances

Oconto County Reporter
12 February 1892

Stiles - John P Macy, Jr., only son of Mr. and Mrs. John P. Macy, of this place, died at Kansas City, Feb. 4th.  His remains were brought to Green Bay for burial, the funeral taking place last Saturday.  His mother was with him when he passed away.


Death of Richard L. Hall

Died suddenly, in this city, of acute pneumonia, on Monday morning, Feb. 15, 1892, Mr. Richard L. Hall, aged 58 years, 6 months and 8 days.

The news of the sudden death of Mr. Hall last Monday morning spread rapidly over the city, evoking in the passage deep and heartfelt regrets at the termination of a useful life and removal of one who has been identified with the history of Oconto’s growth and development for nearly thirty-five years past. Few of our citizens enjoyed a more extended acquaintanceship or were held in higher esteem, and the sympathy of scores of sincere friends goes out to the afflicted family who have been thus suddenly deprived of an affectionate husband and indulgent parent.  It is a loss not only to the family but to the community as well, for Mr. Hall represented the fullest degree the manly man.  Courteous in his dealing with men and generous almost to a fault, were qualities that brought him into close touch with humanity and endeared him to all.

For a year or two past it has been evident to the friends of the deceased that the harrowing worry of his earlier business ventures were beginning to have their effect on a constitution not overly strong and robust, and that a few years at most would terminate his earthly career, but few were prepared for the suddenness with which the summons came.  Last winter Mr. Hall was afflicted with a sever attack of pneumonia since which time he has had to take the utmost care of himself to prevent a recurrence of the dread disease.  On the morning of his death his son drove him to Antone Sharrow’s barber shop to be shaved preparatory to assuming his duties as clerk of the circuit court which was to convene that day in a special session.  On leaving the barber shop, Mr. Sharrow cautioned the deceased to cover his face as much as possible with his muffler and thus avoid breathing the cold air, as the mercury was eight or ten degrees below zero.  The caution was to late, however, for Mr. Hall already inhaled the intensely cold air and commenced to stagger from the effect of a sudden pain in his lungs.  He was helped back into the shop and Dr. Lawrence hastily summoned.  Restoratives applied by the doctor somewhat relieved his pain but it was evident to all present that he was rapidly sinking and it was deemed best to take him to his home.  A hack was summoned, and, carefully wrapped up; Mr. Hall was placed therein and rapidly driven home where he expired a few minutes after his arrival.

Mr. Hall was born Aug. 7, 1833, at Spencer, Thompkins County, N.Y. In 1844 his father, the late Dr. J.C. Hall moved to Marinette, then a part of Oconto County, and there the deceased remained until 1857, when he came to this city and followed his profession of civil engineering.  During his early residence here he engaged extensively in the lumbering industry, operating a saw mill at Hart’s switch, a few miles north of the city, and a large sash, door and planning mill in the city.  He had at various times been elected to, and successfully filled, the offices of county clerk, county treasurer and county surveyor.  He was elected clerk of the court in 1881 and has held that office up to the present time.  In 1881 he was appointed U.S. Deputy Surveyor, continuing in that position until his death.

In 1876  he wrote the “History of Oconto County” a voluminous a carefully compiled record of the principal events that have taken place in this county, containing also a minute description of the geographical limits and timber products of the vast territory that was at one time embraced within the incorporate limits of Oconto County.  This history was published at the time in the Oconto County Reporter, running through several months publication of this journal.  During the terrible Peshtigo fire of 1871 Mr. Hall was one of the first of the several relief parties on the ground, and aided largely in ameliorating the suffering of the distressed people.

In July, 1859, Mr. Hall was married to Miss Abbie J. Hill, at Rosemond, Ill., who has been a faithful and loving sharer of his joys and sorrows ever since, and who with five sons, survives him.
The deceased was owner of the abstract office of this county, a property which has become valuable through his untiring efforts in securing correct transcripts of titles and exchanges in realty since the first settlement of the white race in this great state.

The funeral occurred  Wednesday afternoon from the Presbyterian church, services being conducted by the pastor, Rev. G. Bossard, and was very largely attended, many old settlers from various parts of the county being present to pay respect to the memory of their old and cherished friend.  The pall bearers were Messrs. Geo. Beyer, Huff Jones, O. A. Ellis, W. H. Young, H. M. Royce and G.J. Flanders.

Aside from his own family, Mr. Hall is survived by only none near relative, a brother Mr. Benj. Hall, of Marinette.

From Monday morning to Wednesday night flags were carried at half mast on the county property and the Armory of Co. M. of which deceased was an honorary member.

Oconto County Reporter
26 February 1892
Mrs. T.J. Lindsay died at her home in this city, on Wednesday last.  She was a lady about 51 years of age, and leaves a husband, two daughters and one son to mourn her death.  The funeral services were conducted from the house by Mrs. DeLong, Christian Scientist of Oconto – Menominee Democrat.

The deceased was for many years a resident of this city, where she was well and favorably known.  She was a sister of Jacob Dunton of this city, and Lacey Dunton, of Abrams.


In this city, on Saturday, Feb. 20, 1892, Nelson Hazen, aged 73 years.

The deceased had been a resident of Oconto for seventeen or eighteen years past, having brought his family here from the East.  He was known as an industrious, honest man, who bore and excellent reputation and was highly esteemed in the community.  He is survived by a wife and six children—three daughters and three sons.  The funeral occurred Monday from St. Peter’s church, Mass being celebrated by Rev. Fr. Valliant, and was largely attended by sorrowing friends.

Oconto County Reporter
March 4, 1892

Gillett -- With the greatest of sorrow we are called upon to announce the demise of one of the most respected members of our community,  Mrs. Rebecka Watts, wife of H.J. Watts, which occurred Friday morning, Feb 26, 1892 at three o’clock.  She leaves a husband and seven children to mourn their loss.  All her children were present at her death but the oldest son, Frank, who is in Oregon.  The funeral occurred Sunday from the Methodist church of this place, Rev. James Robinson, of Maple Valley, officiating.  Her remains were laid to rest in the Gillett Cemetery.  The deceased was born in Vermont in 1852, and at the time of her death was 39 years. 1 month and 20 days old.  The pall bearers were Joe. Kurtz, Matt Lang, Peter Gonber, Ed. Monahan, Joe. Swan and W. Scott.


Abrams – We are sorry to chronicle the death of old Mr. Tuttle, of Brookside, which took place Saturday morning.  Mr. Tuttle settled in Pensaukee in the early days, and by industry and frugality reared him to a comfortable home.  He leaves a large circle of relatives and friends to mourn his departure.  Though he reached the ripe old age of 3 score and fourteen, yet we cannot suppress the anguish of the thought that a kind husband and father has left a place vacant for aye.
(Another obituary is listed under March 11, 1892)


At his home on his farm just north of the city limits, on Saturday, February 27, 1892, Charles Zuehl, aged 58 years.

The deceased was a farmer in comfortable circumstances, and had been a resident of the town of Oconto for many years, and was highly esteemed by many friends in both city and country.  He leaves a wife and six children to mourn their loss.  The funeral occurred Monday afternoon, the service being held at the Lutheran church, of which the deceased was a member.


Lizzie, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Cain, died Thursday, Feb. 25, 1892, aged about 15 years.

The deceased had some time previous to her death eaten prune stones which lodged in her intestines and necessitated a surgical operation, which, however, proved unavailing, and after more than a week of suffering death ensued.  Her burial took place Saturday from St Peter’s Roman Catholic church.



Nicholas Lorin, an old resident of this city, died at his home one Superior street last Saturday, at an advanced age.  The funeral took place Monday from St. Joseph’s Roman Catholic church.  


Margaret, wife of F.K. Mott, died at her home in this city on Sunday, Feb. 28, 1892, aged 22 years.  The remains were taken to the home of her father. Mr. George Chefflings, in Maple Valley, and on Tuesday the funeral occurred in that town.


Levi Thomas Isabell died at his father’s home, in Brookside, on the 25th, of Bright’s disease.  Age 27 years and 7 months.  He was buried in Brookside cemetery on Saturday last.  Rev. W.D. Cox officiating.

Oconto County Reporter
March 11, 1892

In this city, March 6, 1892, Catherine, beloved wife of Edward Fitzgerald, aged 42 years, 2 months and 12 days.

The deceased was a native of New Brunswick but came to this city more than twenty years ago with her parents.  She was an affectionate wife and mother and was held in high esteem by many friends and neighbors.  She suffered from an attack of grippe more than a month ago, and an exposure before her complete recovery gave her a relapse, out of which grew other complications which ended in her death.  A husband and eight children—four daughters and four sons—are left to mourn their loss.  The funeral occurred Tuesday, the services being held at St. Joseph’s Roman Catholic church, of which the deceased was a communicant.


At Brookside, Oconto Co., Wis., Feb. 27th, 1892, Schuyler Tuttle aged 73 years, 9 mo. And 28 days.

He was born in Freeton, Courtland Co. N.Y., April 29th, 1818.  When about 16 years of age he removed with his father to Alleghany Co., N.Y., where he was married in 1845 to Miss Lois Kent, who survives him.  There were born to them 7 children—5 boys and 2 girls, 5 of whom survive him to mourn their loss.  They are Mrs.H.L. Colson, of Mills Centre; Mrs. Ida Rufenberg, of Brookside; Lewis Tuttle of Brookside; E.C. Tuttle, of Abrams, and Chas. M. of Brookside.  Two boys, Schuyler and Frankie, died in infancy.

In 1856 he immigrated to Wisconsin and settled at Stiles, as foreman for the lumber company of Holt & Balcom.  About 22 years ago he removed his family to the farm in Brookside, where he resided till the time of his death.  While a young man Mr. Tuttle traveled extensively in the West, having visited all the Western States with the exception of California.  In belief he was a Universalist.  His parents were of the Baptist faith.  In politics, during his early life, he was a member of the Whig Party, but when the Republican Party was organized, he joined the party, and remained a stanch advocate of those principles during life; he served his town a number of times on the County Board, and held various other positions of honor in the county.  In Character he was above reproach.  His honesty of purpose, his devotion to his family, his patriotism, his tendency to cherish the bright side of life, were traits of character that went with him through life and remained with him until the end.  It is noticeable that during his last sickness, but a few hours before his death his love for his family, and genuine love of fun manifested itself more strongly than ever.  Surely we can say a good man has left us, his loss will be felt around the family hearthstone.   How lonesome the old homestead has become, how we miss the dear familiar face and how we cherish the memory of the dear departed form.  Grandpa is gone, father is gone, husband is gone.  But we trust that our loss is his gain that the poor, tired, worn, suffering body is at rest and that somewhere we shall meet with him never to part again.  The funeral took place on Monday from the residence.  The Rev. Bossard, of Oconto, Pastor of the Presbyterian church, officiating.  The family desire to express their sincere thanks to the neighbors and friends, and especially to Mrs. Lemir Chase, for their kind assistance and sympathy during their sad affliction.


Rev. Fr. Schwebach, for nearly twenty-three years past pastor of St. Joseph’s Roman Catholic church in this city, died at the priest’s house on Monday morning, March 7, 1892, aged 73.

Fr. Schwebach was born in Luxemburg, near the Belgium border, where he grew to manhood, was educated and ordained priest.  Thirty years ago he came to this country and settled at Stevens Point and was pastor of a church at that place for seven years, when he resigned his pastorate and came to this city and took charge of St. Joseph’s church, in which latter position he continued to officiate until early last fall when failing health made the appointment of another priest a necessity, and Fr. Lochman was accordingly chosen to succeed him.  Since last summer Fr. Schwebach was steadily declined in health, and recently dropsy set in which hastened his death.  He was an affable gentleman and a faithful friend who will be sadly missed by those to whom he was ministered for nearly a quarter of a century, and who entertain for his memory deep love and reverence.

Monday afternoon his remains were carried to the church and service for the dead held with Rev. C.L. Nau of Green Bay, as celebrant, Fr. A. Belle, of Clintonville, deacon, Fr. P. Pele, of Coleman, sub-deacon; and assisted by Fr. J.F. Durin, of DePere, Fr. Vaillant, of St. Peter’s church, and Fr. Lochman, of St. Joseph’s church.  Tuesday morning Requiem Mass was celebrated at 7:45, with Fr. J.J. Fox, of Marinette, as celebrant, Fr. A. O’Connor, of Peshtigo, as deacon, Fr. A. Belle of Clintonville, as sub-deacon, and Fr. Lochman as master of ceremonies.  Fr. Vaillant presided at the organ.  There were present in the sanctuary Fr. Hens, of So. Kaukauna and Fr. Pele, of Coleman.  After Mass Fr. O’Connor made some remarks pertinent to the occasion after which the remains were taken to the C. & N.W. R’y, followed by a long train of sorrowing friends.  The pall-bearers were E. Davis, D. Davis, B. Mulvaney, B. Brophy, D. O’Keef and John Merline.  The body was conveyed to Stockton, near Stevens Point, where it remained among relatives of the deceased priest until Thursday, when it was taken to Stevens Point and laid in the final resting place.

Oconto County Reporter
March 18, 1892


“A fair affliction—peace.  We cannot hold mortality’s strong hand,  Heaven has an end to all.”

On Friday morning, March 12, 1892, at 8:50, Mrs. Phillipps departed this life surrounded by all her sorrowing family and immediate friends.  She was born in the state of New York, and died at the young age of 36 years and 8 months.  She leaves, to mourn their loss, two affectionate daughters and a bereaved husband.
“Weep not for her! Her memory is the shrine
 Of pleasant thoughts, soft as the scent of flowers,
 Calm as on windless eve the sun’s decline.
 Sweet as the song of birds among the bowers,
 Rich as a rainbow with its hues of light,
 Pure as the moonlight: Weep not for her!

 Weep not for her! There is no cause of woe,
 But rather nerve the spirit that it walk
 Unshrinking o’er the thorny path below
 And from earth’s defilements keep thee back,
 She’ll meet thee at heaven’s gate—and lead thee on:
 Weep not for her!”

A bright leaf, having withered on the tree, has fallen to the ground: such is death.  Short was the duration on this earth of the best of wives, the most loving of mothers.  Nothing is more certain that the fading of the leaf, bright in it’s summer tide; nothing more certain than death, even to the most just, as young wife was:  she had her summer time, and quickly faded in a season.

 “And oh! Like them as they come in Spring,
 And with Summer’s late decay,
 She passed with the sun’s last parting smile,
 From life’s rough path away.”


A six-year old son of Edward Goff, of Marinette, was killed by a street car in that city last Tuesday.  The little fellow was playing on the street and fell in front of the car, and the wheels passing over his body killed him instantly.


GREENWOOD—Died:  Paul Kreugar, son of Mr. and Mrs. John Kreugar, age 16 years, 9 months and 18 days, at Dr. O’Keefe hospital, February 20, 1892.  The funeral service was held at the school house Wednesday, March 2, 1892.  The pall bearers were Antone Thome, Jule DeKaster, Louis Beyers, John Couillard, Manders Hennings and Bryon Minnick.  He was buried in the Brookside cemetery.  The deceased had been sick for about two months.  His injuries were received in the woods.  He left a father, mother, two sisters and two brothers to mourn his departure.  His presence will be missed in the circle of his many friends.

Oconto County Reporter
March 25, 1892

Word was received here during the week of the death at Pittsburgh of the father of Rev. J.H. Kerr, formerly pastor of the Presbyterian Church in this city.  Mr. Kerr has a large number of friends in Oconto who deeply sympathize with him in his affliction.


Mr. and Mrs. Huff Jones, who have been in Green Bay for two weeks past attending Mrs. Mary Jones during her sickness and burial, returned home Monday night.


Stiles - William McGuire, brother of James McGuire of this place was fatally kicked by a horse at Tacoma, Wash., last week.  He died the same day.  His body was brought to Appleton for burial.  The funeral was held from his father’s house last Tuesday.


George Phillips, of Hartland, Iowa, and Joseph Phillips, of Perry, Iowa, have been in the city for some time past, the guests of their brother, W.H., having come to attend the funeral of their sister-in-law, the late Mrs. W.H. Phillips


Oconto County Reporter
May 6, 1892

Frank Wern and his wife of Hancock, Michigan came to this city about four weeks ago.  Mrs. Wern came here to die.  She had a father here, Chas. Bucholts, and ex-soldier of the late war, and she made her home with him until she passed away, Sunday.  She was buried Monday in the Luthern cemetery.  She possessed of considerable property which she willed to her husband and relatives, her husband receiving $5,000 in money and some valuable real estate.

Clintonville Tribune

Arlene Phyllis, youngest child of Mr. & Mrs. Harry J Germond, died at the  home of her grandparents, at Fond du Lac, last Thursday night.  Mr. & Mrs. Germond and children were at Fond u Lac attending the wedding of Mrs. Germond’s sister on Thursday and although the little one was not well, no immediate danger was apprehended.  Mr. Germond came home Thursday evening, intending to send Dr. Lawrence down next day, but a telegram received early next moring announced the sudden death of the child about eight o’clock the evening before.  The little one was buried Sunday afternoon at Oakfield, near which Place Mrs., Germond’s parents reside.  Mr. & Mrs. Germond are assured of the sympathy of their many friends in their sad affliction.


Oconto County Reporter
May 13, 1892 

A telegram conveyed the sad news, to friends in this city, that Mrs. Crabtree died at the home of her parents at Berlin, Wis., on Saturday last, after a lingering illness.

The little five year old daughter of Mrs. Henry Cook, of Big Suamico, was fatally shot in the abdomen at about 4 o’clock Tuesday afternoon, and died after lingering an hour in great pain.  The little girl’s brother, a boy 10 years of age, while toying with a loaded gun playfully pointed it at his sister, when it was suddenly discharged the contents lodging in her body.

 Oconto County Reporter
May 20, 1892

STILES – Gust. Lance, who apparently died here one night last week, and for whose wake preparations were already being made,  was brought back to life by Martin VanKielen, who has lately attained a remarkable degree of proficiency in that line of business.

CHILD DROWNED – On Monday evening last, between six and seven o’clock, the only son of Wm. Hooten, aged four years and four months, was drowned in the river.  It appears that the little fellow, who lives with his aged grandmother, Mrs. Hooten, near the river on State road, was playing on the bank of the river just before six o’clock, and when supper was ready the lad was not to be found.  Suspecting that the boy had fallen in the river, an alarm was given and a search commenced.  Half an hour later the body was found some distance down the river, and conveyed to the home of his heart broken grandparent.  The child was a nephew of Mr. and Mrs. A.P. Call, who with the widowed father and grandmother, are bowed with grief under the affliction.  The funeral occurred Wednesday morning from St. Mark’s church, Rev. L. D. Hopkins, officiating.


Oconto County Reporter
June 3, 1892


Thos. Morrison, an old resident of this city, died at his residence here on Wednesday morning, June1, 1892 aged about 48 years.  The deceased had been engaged in wagon-making up to a few months ago, when increasing feebleness compelled him to cease.  Some two years ago he contacted a cold which neglect allowed to develop into consumption, and to this insidious disease his physical system gradually yielded until the tired body ceased its struggle against the inevitable and peacefully lay down to it final rest.  The funeral will take place today from St. Joseph’s Roman Catholic church.  Mr. Morrison leaves a wife and seven children to mourn their loss.

Levi Bagley, one of the best known woodmen in this section, and a character in his way, died sometime during Wednesday night in Walt. Phillips’ livery stable, when he slept.  He attended the circus in the afternoon and retired in apparently as good health as usual, and his death is supposed to be the result of heart disease.  An inquest is in progress as we go to press.  The deceased was a native of Maine, but has been employed as woodsman and criuer on the river for thirty-five years past, and was about 70 years old at the time of his death.  He was a brother of ex sheriff Charles Bagley, of Oconto Falls.

 Oconto County Reporter
June 10, 1892


We are sorry to say that our dear friend and neighbor Mr.  departed this life last Monday.  Mr. Warner was on of the first settlers on the Shore where be resided for the past twenty-four years.

Accidently Killed – Paul Brickner, a  young man aged 19 years, was fatally injured while assisting in raising a barn on Neil McKillop’s farm in Maple Valley Monday afternoon, and died two hours after the accident.  He was rolling logs up the skid way when one slipped and rolled back over him, breaking his leg, thigh and ribs and injuring him internally.

John B. Jacobs, one of he early pioneers of this section of the state, died at this home at Green Bay on Thursday, June 9th aged 74 years.  Mr. Jacobs was for many years owner of the steamer Queen the first boat that ran a regular passenger route between Green Bay and this city and Menominee.  On this boat the troops that were enlisted in Oconto to aid in quelling the rebellion of 1861-64, were conveyed to Green Bay.  The deceased was well know to all the old settlers of this city who held him in highest esteem. 

 Death of Mrs. Chas. McGee. – A dispatch received in this city Wednesday afternoon announced the death of Mrs. Chas. McGee at Two Harbors, Minn., that morning.  The remains left Two Harbors, yesterday, and will arrive at Fort Howard this forenoon, and the interment will take place this afternoon.  Mr. John McGee father of Charles, was in Milwaukee attending the Masonic Grand Lodge when the telegram arrived, and was not made acquinted with the sad tidings until his arrival home yesterday morning.  Mrs. McGee and sister-in law, Mrs. Wyman, left yesterday for Fort Howard, and Mr. McGee will follow them this morning.  The scores of friends of Charles McGee in this city, who only seven months ago congratulated him on his happy marriage, sincerely sympathize with him in his sad affiliation.

Lucius Warner, who died at the bay shore on Monday of last week, was born in the state of New York in 1813, and resided in the Empire state until after he attained his majority and was married, when he went to Canada, in which country he resided several years.  Later he came back to this country and settled at Durand, Ill., from which place he subsequently moved, to Clinton Junction, Wis., thence to New Milford, Ill., and afterwards, in 1862, came to this county and settled at Comstock’s, four miles west of the city, where he conducted the mill boarding house for a year, at the expiration of which time he moved to the bay shore, where he resided until the time of his death, a period of 20 years.  The first 19 years of his residence on the shore he was extensively engaged in the fishing industry, but about 10 years ago he abandoned that pursuit and has since  been engaged in coopering.  The deceased was one of the best known men in this place and enjoyed the esteem of the community.,  He has been a great sufferer for some time previous to his death, which was the result of a combination of heart disease and dropsy.  He is survived by a wife of whom he was married about seven years ago and three children – Mrs. George Corbin of Menominee, Mich., Mrs. W. W. Pease, of New Milford, Ill. and Mr. C.L. Warner of Brookside.  The burial took place Friday afternoon from the M.D. Church =, the Rev. S. W. Ford officiating, and was largely attended by sorrowing friends.


Oconto County Reporter
June 24, 1892


Died - At the residence of her daughter, Mrs. R. L. Hall, in this city, Monday morning, June 20, 1892, Mrs. Catherine Holcomb Hill, aged 85 yrears, 8 months and 14 days.

   The deceased was a most lovable lady, possessing a kindly and cheerful disposition and a cultivated mind, and though advancing years signified the end could not be far off the deep love entertained for her made the parting intensely painful to the loving friends.  But the end came peacefully and quietly as it does to the pure in mind and heart, and her soul passed from this stage of strife and turmoil to the bright beyond.

    Mrs. Hill had been a resident of New York city most of her life, but came west to Illinois in 1857, where she remained until 1870, when she returned to New York.  A little more than a year ago she came to Oconto and has since resided with her daughters, Mrs. R.L. Hall and Mrs Kate Hill.  Besides these she survived by two sons, Evan B and Edward S. Hill, of St. Louis, Mo.  The funeral took place Wednesday, service being held at the residence by Rev. G. Bossard; pastor of the Presbyterian church, and was largely attended by sorrowing relatives and friends.


At her home in this city, on Wednesday moring, June 22, 1892, Alice, beloved wife of Charles Davis, aged 45 years.

   The deceased had been ailing for some months past and at times (was in) much pain.  She has been a resident of Oconto for more than twenty-five years, and was well and favorably known to a large number of friends who sincerely mourn her death.  She is survived by a husband and five children—Frank, Gertie, Peter, Libbie and Clarence.  She also leaves behind her two sisters and one brother-- Mrs. Geo. Davis and Mrs. Jas Wall, of this city and Mr. P. Quinn of Maple Valley.  The funeral occurred  this morning at nine o’clock from St. Joseph’s Church.



Chris Krueger, a prosperous farmer residing in School Section, about four miles from Oconto, deliberately committed suicide in this city Wednesday by throwing himself in front of a M.L.S.&W. R’y train.  The west bound 12:30 p.m. train had pulled out about two blocks and was just crossing Huron Street when a man who had been sitting on the fence whittling was observed to jump from his seat and run in front of the train.  The engineer reversed his engine as soon as possible and brought the train to a stop, but too late to avert the calamity, for the suicide had accomplished his object and was lying beside the track with his head split in two, the severed part lying close to the body.  An eye witness of the horrible scene state that when Krueger threw himself in front of the train, the cow-catcher of the locomotive shoved him off the track when he caught hold of the engine and pulled his head under the wheels.  We understand that the deceased made two similar attempts the same morning at the C.&N.W. R’y but each time the engineer saw him in time to stop the train.  The unfortunate man was between forty and fifty years of age, and leaves a wife and seven children.  That Krueger was insane is beyond question as he has acted strangely for several years past, frequently absenting himself from home for several days at a time and never accounting for his absence on his return and in many other ways has given evidence of an unsound mind.  His body was coffined by the undertaker Deimer and later in the day removed to his late home on the farm.

John Hoppen, a resident of the South ward, died at his home Saturday and was buried Tuesday, the burial service being held at St. Joseph’s church.

Transcribed by Maxine Nichols
Researched by Cathe Ziereis

 Oconto County Reporter
July 1, 1892

Mrs. P. Richers’ little six year old boy was seriously and we believe, fatally poisoned last Saturday evening.  Dr. Hanson was called, but could do nothing to relieve him from the semi-stuper he had fallen into.

Oconto County Reporter
July 15, 1892

News was received Wednesday by Mr. and Mrs. John Van Abel of the death of a grandchild at Marinette, the youngest child of Mr. and Mrs. John Utka.

Oconto County Reporter
July 22, 1892


Mrs. Saucier, wife of Joseph Saucier, died suddenly at her home in the West ward early Wednesday morning.  The night before she was in apparently good health, and sat in front of her house talking with neighbors until about ten o’clock when she went in and did a little sewing before retiring.  About two o’clock next morning she woke up feeling very sick, and calling her little seven-year old daughter sent her for the neighbors, some of whom soon arrived and at once summoned Mr. Saucier, who was working on the night run at the Oconto Company’s mill.  The husband hastened home and hastily dispatched a messenger for Dr. Piche, who promptly reached the place and did what he could to relieve her, but without avail, and at five o’clock, just before the arrival of Rev Fr. Vaillant, she passed peacefully away.  Dr. Piche stated that her death was caused by heart disease.  The deceased leaves a bereaved husband, a daughter seven years old and a son eleven months old.  The funeral occurred this morning from St. Peter’s Catholic church.  The family had arrived here about two years ago from Quebec.  Much sympathy is entertained for the bereaved husband and children.


Oconto County Reporter
July 29, 1892


   At five o’clock on Saturday morning, July 23, 1892, occurred the death, at his home in this city, of Mr. T.B. Goodrich, in the 66th year of his age.       

  The deceased had been more or less ailing for some time past, and a few months ago went to Chicago to consult medical authorities in that city concerning his condition, and for this purpose visited the Lincoln Park Sanitarium,  where he underwent an operation which proved of no avail, but for a time seriously jeopardized his life.  As soon as he had sufficiently recovered he came home and continued in a constantly weakening condition up to the time of his death.

   Mr. Goodrich was born at Painted Post, N.Y., Nov. 25, 1826, and resided at that place until his maturity.  On May 9, 1860 he married to Miss Mary Magee, who survives him, at Bath, N.Y.  In 1855 he came west to Stiles and entered the employment of Eldred & Balcom, lumber manufacturers, as bookkeeper.  Here he remained until Dec.1861, when he came to Oconto and for three years conducted, in his own name, a lumber business for his uncle, Col. Uri Balcom.  In 1863 Mr. Calkins bought an interest in the business and remained a member of the firm of Balcom & Calkins until about 1867, when he retired and the firm name was changed to Holt & Balcom, and so remained until 1887.  During all this time Mr. Goodrich held a position of trust and responsibility, and for some years before 1887 had an interest in the firm.  After the sale of the mill property to the Holt Lumber Co. in 1887 Mr. Goodrich took a much needed rest, and in 1888, in partnership with A.M. Martineau bought out the store business of the Holt Lumber Co.  Which they conducted for two years in the old store building belonging to the mill company, in 1890 moving the business into the handsome, double front brick store which the firm had erected on the corner of Main and Superior streets.

   Mr. Goodrich was a man of excellent business qualifications and kindly and genial disposition, and was loved and respected by the entire community.  His death will prove a lasting regret to hundreds of warm friends whose sincere sympathy is assured his afflicted widow and other sorrowing relations.

   Besides his wife, the deceased is survived by an aunt on his mother’s side, Mrs. Uri Blacom, of Chicago, and an uncle Mr. Wm Beasley, of Erie, Pa., and several cousins in Chicago, St. Louis, New York and Pensylvania.  His ancestors on his mother’s side were French Hugenots who fled their native country on account of religious persecution.

   The funeral took place Wednesday morning from his late residence on Main street, services being conducted by the Rev. L.D. Hopkins, of St. Mark’s Episcopal church, the cortage which followed the remains to the silent city being one of the largest ever seen in Oconto.


At the residence of her parents in this town, on Sunday, July 24, 1892, Mary, the only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. Duame, died, aged 10 months.


Oconto County Reporter
August 5, 1892


A telegram received Tuesday by Mr. Edwin Hart, in this city, announced the death of his brother, Mr. Wm Hart, on that date, at Bradford, Penn.  The deceased was a younger brother of Mr. Edwin Hart, and was in his 82nd year at the time of his death.  He will be remembered by many of the older residents of this city, having visited his relatives here on several occasions.

Mr. Hart was for seventeen consecutive years treasurer of the city of Cleveland, Ohio, in which city he resided for a great many years, and which place he left about ten years ago, to take up his residence in Bradford, Pa., to look after his interests in the oil business in that locality.  During his business career Mr. Hart acquired considerable money, but being naturally of generous disposition his acts of benevolence have almost kept pace with his earnings, though he died in comparative affluent circumstances.  His death is deeply felt by Mr. Edwin Hart of this city, who mourns the departure of a loving and affectionate brother.  The funeral will occur tomorrow (Saturday) and the interment in Lake View Cemetary, Cleveland.


In this city, on Sunday evening, July 31, 1892, of typhoid fever, Wm. McCrae, aged 24 years.  The deceased was a native of the Province of Quebec, and came to this city last fall, since which time he has made his home with his cousins, Mr. and Mrs. Ross in the South ward.  The funeral occurred Tuesday morning, services being held at St. Mark’s church by the rector, Rev. L.D. Hopkins.

Oconto County Reporter
September 9,1892


It is our painful duty to chronicle the death of the seven months old twin baby boys of Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Norton.  During last week one of the little ones was taken with cholera infantum and was under treatment up to Monday morning, when he yielded to the summons to go hence.  His brother began to manifest symptoms of the same ailment only on Saturday morning  and about twelve o’clock the same night succumbed to the disease.  The children were buried together Tuesday afternoon, services being held at St Joseph’s church by Rev. Fr. Lochman.  Mr. and Mrs. Norton are assured of the sincere sympathy of many friends in their deep affliction.


Oconto County Reporter
September 16, 1892


Charles, the fifteen month’s old son of Mr. and Mrs. John McDonough, of the South Ward, died Wednesday morning from some infantile ailment.  The parents have the sympathy of many friends in their affliction.


Mortuary – Ruth Eleanor, the infant daughter of H.G. and J.A. McFarlan, was taken from the arms of her loving parents into the arms of Jesus on the eighth inst.  She opened her sweet eyes to the light of this world, glanced the light and joy which none but a parent's heart can feel,  into a home from which another light had but too recently been removed, and thrilled the hearts of parents for only a few months and then the nursery was darkened by her departure.  An empty crib and a silent house where so lately the prattle of infancy was heard speak in a language which bereaved hearts can alone adequately interpret.  But it is a sweet consolation that the clouds which hide the little one are only of the earth, like the clouds that darken the earthly sky.  The sun and stars shine all unobscured from their heavenly thrones. 

Dear Jesus we repose
Our darling on thy breast,
Forever safe from earthly woes,
There let her sweetly rest.

Oconto County Reporter
September 23, 1892


Stiles -- Mrs. Wm. Zorn, of this place, died at noon Wednesday of last week, of consumption, aged 27 years.  A husband survives.

Oconto County Reporter
September 30, 1892


Died. – In this city, Sunday, Sept. 18th, 1892, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. G. W. McCartney, Mrs. Agnes Classon, aged 85 years, 7 months and 25 days.

The deceased settled with her husband and family at Cato, Manitowoc county, in Oct. 1853, where she resided until five years ago, when she removed to this city where she has since made her home.

In many respects she was a remarkable woman, being a physician whose skill was known throughout the country.  Having lost her husband some six years ago, she developed some peculiar traits of character altogether foreign to her nature, which were no doubt due to her many infirmities.

The funeral occurred Monday from St. Peter’s church, Rev. Fr. Vallient conducting the services.

The remains were taken to Cato, Manitowoc County, where they were interred by the side of those of her husband.  J.K., A.R. J.H. Classon, Mrs. G.W. McCartney and Mrs. W.H. Burnside children of the deceased, and Mrs. W. J. Classon and Miss Mabel Burnside accompanied the remains to Manitowoc.

Oconto County Reporter
Deaths October - December 1892

Transcribed by Maxine Nichols
Researched by Cathe Ziereis

Oconto County Reporter
October 14, 1892

Lane – Golden Leo Lane, died at Oconto Falls, Oct. 8th, 1892, aged thirteen months and six days.

 When the flowers faded from their bloom,
We stood in silent sorrow
By our little Golden’s tomb;
And while the golden sunbeams
Fell in beauty by our side,
We knew that with the angels
Was our little boy who died.

 We saw our Golden fading,
As the roses fade in Fall,
And knew that he would answer,
To the loving angel’s call;
The summons came too quickly,
To the dear one by our side’
And while our hearts were hopeful,
The little sufferer died. 

It came in lovely autumn,
At the blissful dawn of day,
When angels softly whispered
To our Golden, “come away.”
As gentle as the sunbeams
Bathe in light the golden west,
His blue eyes closed in slumber,
And our child was with the blest.

 Oh what a smile of rapture
Was on that face so fair;
It seemed to loved one’s weeping,
That Jesus had been there;
And though the lips were silent,
And closed the sightless eyes,
He seemed not dead, but sleeping—
Like on about to rise.

 The seasons may come and vanish,
Since Golden went away,
And tho’ our baby is happy,
We will miss him day by day.
But in the realms of glory,
He dwells by Jesus’ side—
The one we love in heaven,
Our little baby who died.

Card of Thanks – the afflicted parents desire to express their heartfelt thanks for the courteous acts of friends during the sickness and death of their beloved son, and also to return their thanks for the beautiful gifts of flowers.

Oconto County Reporter
October 21, 1892

Stiles – Herman Fricke, of this place, died at his home last Friday afternoon.  Although Mr. Fricke had been confined to his bed only about 7 weeks before his death, the past few years of his life were roughened sadly in struggling with disease and hard work in his honest and earnest endeavor to properly provide for his family.  He was a true Christian and a man of sterling character.  The funeral was held from the Presbyterian church last Sunday afternoon, his body was laid to rest in Stiles cemetery.  He leaves a wife and three small children.


John Hirt, a resident and farmer in the town of Oconto, died last Thursday evening after an illness of several months, and was buried Saturday morning from St. Joseph’s church.  He leaves a wife and several children.  He was a member of the Independent Order of Foresters, and carried a $2000 policy in that society.


Charles Darrow died at the residence of his parents in the town of Oconto last Saturday, aged 32 years.  The deceased had been a resident of Ashland and recently moved West, where he caught a severe cold which settled into consumption, which was the cause of his death.  He leaves a wife to mourn her loss.  The burial occurred Monday, services being conducted at St. Joseph’s church by Rev. Fr. Lochman.


Oconto County Reporter
October 28, 1892

Joseph Housner, proprietor of a saloon and boarding house on Huron street, died suddenly Monday of heart disease.  Mr. Housner was well advanced in years and had suffered more or less from the disease that finally terminated his existence.  We understand that he had been engaged in an altercation with another man and the excitement consequently brought on the fatal attack.  The deceased was a Bohemian, but had been a resident of this city for a number of years.  His burial occurred Wednesday morning burial services being held at St. Joseph’s church by Rev. Fr. Lochman.

Oconto County Reporter
November 18, 1892

Died at her home in Maple Valley, Nov. 9, 1892, Mrs George H. Trecartin.

   The deceased was born in New Brunswick the 16th of October, 1828. Her maiden name was Eleanor J. Hopper.  At the age of twenty years she was married to George Trecartin.  In the year 1863 they came to Oconto, where they resided until the spring of 1871, when they removed to Maple Valley, and were pioneer settlers of the town.  She leaves a husband and one son to mourn their loss.  For 44 years she and Uncle George have traveled together and in all that time  her anxiety was for the comfort and welfare of her family.  Although never being well she has always worked hard, and whoever came to her home was sure of a welcome and hospitable reception.  She united with the Baptist Church before coming to this country and has always regarded Christianity as one of the essential things of life.

   For more than a year she has been a constant sufferer, but has borne her affliction with great patience and although it was hard for her to leave her family, when she fully realized that she could not get well, she resigned herself into the hands of God and anxiously waited the summons to call her home.  For more than five months Mrs. Trecartin had not been able to lie down and when the spirit took its flight and we laid the poor worn out body down, we could but feel to say in our hearts ”There is rest in Heaven.”  The funeral services were conducted by Rev. W. D Cox, of Oconto, and a large concourse of sympathizing friends and neighbors followed her remains to the silent tomb.


At his home in this city, on Monday, November 14th, 1892, John Johnson, in the 42d year of his age.

   The deceased was a native of Denmark, where he resided until 21 years of age, when he came to this country, and after a few years residence at Pulcifer, settled in Oconto.  For several years past he has been a member of the mercantile firm of J. Hemmingson & Co.  Last winter he had the “grippe” from which he never recovered, and which was the cause of his death.   He leaves a disconsolate wife and four sons to mourn their loss.  The funeral took place Wednesday afternoon at the Danish Lutheran church, the services being conducted by Rev. J. N. Jersild, of Neenah, who is also pastor of the church here. Mr. Johnson was a strictly honest man, and an exemplary Christian and was one of the directors of the Danish church here.  He was also treasurer of the Danish society in this city, the members of which attended the funeral and wore the Danish colors – red and white.


Oconto County Reporter
November 25, 1892

Richard Kingston who was shot by Robert Newton at Gillett on the evening of Nov. 15, died the following Friday night.  After the shooting  the wounded man was conveyed to the Gillett Hotel, where he was attended by Dr. O’Keef, of this city and Dr. Pinch, of Gillett, and every effort was made by the physicians to save his life, but the bullet that penetrated his stomach had done its work too well, and on Friday  evening—just three days from the shooting—death ended his sufferings.  He leaves a wife and eight children, who are plunged in deepest grief over the sudden death of their loved protector.

  Newton was taken before Justice H.F.Jones Tuesday morning but waived examination.  Later in the day he was arraigned before Judge Hastings in the circuit court and remanded for trial at a special term or the next regular term of the circuit court, and the Court appointed attorney D.G. Classon to defend him.  There are many rumors current as to the cause of the shooting, but pending the trial we deem it best to refrain from publishing them and thus avoiding prejudicing the public either for or against the man charged with committing the murder.

Oconto County Reporter
December 16, 1892

At Brookside, Tuesday morning, Dec. 6, 1892, of dropsy, Jacob Lince, aged 78 years.

   The deceased was born in Frankfort, N.Y., Feb. 11, 1814, and came to Wisconsin in 1882 to reside with his sons Jacob and George, at Brookside, leaving three children in the east.  He leaves five surviving brother and sister:  Mr. C. Lince, Mrs. K. Cool, of Brookside, Mrs. M. Worthing, of Abrams; Mr. Jas. Lince, of Chanmont, N.Y,.; Mrs. Elnora Cook, of Cedar Springs, Mich.


 At her home in the West ward, Wednesday morning, Dec. 14, 1892 Mrs. David Lenaville, in the 55th year of her age.

   The deceased was a native of Belgium, but came too this country 40 years ago, and for 32 years past has been a resident of Oconto. Her exemplary Christian character, and kind disposition have given her a high place in the regard and esteem of her large number of acquaintances who sincerely mourn the departure of their cherished friend.  She is survived by a grief-stricken husband and five children—Mrs. L.W. Brazeau, Mrs. Cezar Francis, Misses Lizzie and Josephine and Mr. Arthur Lenaville, all of this city.  The funeral took place this (Friday) morning at St Peter’s church, requiem High Mass being sung by Rev Fr. Vaillant, pastor


Oconto County Reporter
December 30, 1892

At his residence, Oconto Falls, Wis., Dec. 2, 2893, Mr. John Volk, aged 86 years, 10 months, and 21 days.

   The deceased was one of the oldest and most respected residents of Oconto County, having settled at the Falls in the early pioneer days, and up to a short time ago, when advancing years compelled a retirement from active pursuits, was identified with the growth and development of the village and town.  He has been an almost lifelong member of the Methodist church and his life was one of consistent Christianity.  He is survived by his aged wife, four sons and numerous grandchildren.


Abrams – Died, Sunday morning, Dec. 25, 1892, R.B., infant son of Mr. and Mrs. C.F.  Yeaton aged 1 year, 2 months and 16 days, after a very short illness.

Funeral services were held at the house Tuesday, Dec. 27, by the Rev. T. Austin, of the M.E. Church, assisted by the choir.

“Oh! It is hard to take
The lessons that such deaths will teach.,
But let no man reject it;
For it is one that all must learn:
And it is a mighty, universal truth,
When death strikes down the innocent and young
For every fragile form from which he lets
The parting spirit free,
A hundred virtues rise,
In shapes of mercy, charity and love,
To walk the world and bless it.
Of every tear
That sorrowing mortals shed on such green graves, some good is born, some gentler nature comes.”

Card of thanks – We desire to extend our sincere thanks to all friends, and to Mr. and Mrs. Winans and Mr. and Mrs. North in particular, who so kindly assisted us in our recent bereavement.  It is such noble acts of sympathy which enable us to see the good will, and true Christian spirit of brotherly love which daily surrounds us, but is not so forcibly present to our sight only in case of affliction  such as ours.  We hope and trust none of our friends may suffer an affliction such as we have just passed through.  Mr. and Mrs. C.F. Yeaton – Abrams – Dec. 27, 1892


Oconto County Reporter

30 December 1892

Died, Dec. 23, at her home, at Brookside, of consumption, Mrs. Lois Prudence Tuttle, aged 64 years, 1 month and 19 days.

The deceased was born in the state of Penn. Nov. 4, 1828, and on Nov. 19, 1845 was married to Schuyler Tuttle. About forth years ago they, with three young children, moved to Stiles, Wis., then to Oconto, and from there to their present home where they resided nearly twenty five years. Last winter her husband died and the shock, together with the disease, soon carried her to the happy home where she was fully prepared to meet her loved ones. Father, mother, brother, five sisters, husband, two children and four grandchildren had passed on before, yet her faith in Him never faltered and at the last she remarked, "I shall soon wear a golden crown." Patient, gentle, a loving mother and faithful Christian, she will be widely missed by her family and friends. The services were concluded by Rev. T. Austin, at the house, and she was laid beside her husband in the Brookside cemetery. She is survived by five sisters, one brother, three sons and two daughters. The children are - Mrs. J. A. Colson, of Millscenter, Ed Tuttle, of Hunts Spur, Mich., Mrs. Jno. Riffenburg, Lewis K. and Charlie M., of Brookside.