& town of ARMSTRONG
Now Mountain and town of Mountain
(past) --- Mr. Armstrong was a "notable and influencial character of great influence". He had promised his assistance if the township would be named after him. The Town of Armstrong was set off from the Town of How while Mr. Armstrong was chairman and at the time consisted of 9 townships. Mr. Armstrong was also considered "the Law" and possessed the local, frequently used, "well- thumbed" law volumes, giving his own "remarkable" interpretations of the law. The Town Hall was built in 1893 alongside the present Cemetery. Early inhabitants worked for the Holt Lumber Company, Oconto Company, and Pendleton and Gilkey, who also started the Coleman store. Information gathered mostly by E.S. Dunlap.