(past) ----- Now known as Bagley Rapids, it was originally a logging camp that became a small settlement. The logging outfit was owned by the Bagley family, and worked along the upper Oconto River on the North Branch. After the logging days, the Bagley family went into the wood milling business in Marinette, making windows, doors, blinds, and sashes. The part of the Oconto River where the settlement was located consisted of a series of shallow rapids that made floating the cut logs a difficult task. In fall of each year dams or partial dams were constructed in the area of where the Chute Pond Dam now is, or upstream nearby (now under water). This backed up the upper Oconto and raised the water level so winter-cut logs could be floated. The dams were broken in spring and the resulting "flood" took the logs past the rapids along with it. It was a very dangerous business! As trees disappeared, so did the settlement and families moved on to other places where work was available. In the 1930's the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps) formed by the Federal Government to provided jobs for young men during the Great Depression, built the present permanent dam to form Chute Pond/Lake hoping to encourage and increase tourist recreation in the area. Information gathered at Farnsworth Library, Oconto, WI.