A log school was built in the late 1800's to replace the building used in nearby Townsend. It was named after the Cole family, early residents of the area. This small settlement, at that time larger than it's near neighbor, grew up around a small dam and mill, containing the log homes of millworkers and woodsmen. Amos Duffy was the first schoolteacher in Cole; he moved from Oconto to teach there. Josie Cook and Evelyn Pelke (Schmitt) were subsequent schoolteachers there. A fine frame building replaced the log structure, but by then, the settlement was dispanding as larger mills were built elsewhere. The schoolhouse was moved to the growing settlement of Townsend.