COUNTY LINEOconto County
During the early lumbering days an extensive track made with wooden rails and called a tram road was built in the County Line area. Cars with four small wheels were drawn by horse teams to haul supplies, lumber, shingles, and railway ties from the local mill to Little River and the northern shore of Green Bay. Little remains of this once bustling tramway.
Less than a mile south of the border between Oconto and Marinette Counties and on Old Highway 41, County Line was home to such early family surnames as Dohnal, Cisar, Finger, Witak, Lupinski, Ebert, Plansky Feifarik, Dumke, Peshek, and Petcka in the 1890's. From 1851 until 1874 what is now Marinette County was the northern part of Oconto County, so County Line was in the center of activities. It was a junction at crossing roadways readily used by travelers going in all four directions. Consequently, there was a saloon and store. Later a dance hall was added where the Hranach family lived upstairs.
An Ice House was prominent to the area. Ice was cut on Green Bay and "slid" to County Line along a "Winter Road" or "Ice Road" that was cut through the swamps. Fish and hay and "marsh hay" were also commonly carried along this route. Marsh hay was gathered from the wetlands and used to supplement livestock feed during the winter months.
Electrification came in 1905. Entertainment was provided by the popular County Line Brass Band and the 'corner' was host to countless wedding receptions, anniversary dances, and various Lodge meetings. Both the Western Bohemian Fraternal Association and the County Line Grange were large and active organizations in the area. Bohemian (Czech) residents were a major part of the nearby population, consisting primarily of farm families.
Children on the Oconto side attended school at Hall School, built by and named after Dan Hall on his farm one mile south of County Line. After the turn of the century, a cheese factory, grist mill , blacksmith shop and "pickle station" were added. Farmers brought their pickles to the station where they were weighed, salted and placed in wooden vats for storing until it was time to take them to Oconto for processing. The popular sportsman conservation and social club called the "Haf-Wa-North Club" was known for its "coon feeds".
By the 1920's County Line basketball and baseball teams were drawing large and enthusiastic crowds.The Cinderella Tavern hosted fish fries and 25c chicken dinners during the depression of the 1930's and was a welcome family gathering spot during those trying times.