Oconto County WIGenWeb Project
Collected and posted by RITA
This site is exclusively for the free access of individual researchers.
* No profit may be made by any person, business or organization through publication, reproduction, presentation or links to this site.  
Oconto County
Wisconsin

TOWN of LENA
-- Named after the village of Lena. The first families to settle in the area were French decendants of early traders and pioneers. In the first wave, the French traders and trappers came directly from France and did not make permanent homes. In the second wave, the French came primarily from the Province of Quebec, Canada, also to work in the fur trade, but they settled in the Great Lakes and married into the Native families. The third wave came to work in logging and stayed to farm the land and became particularly adept at horse breeding and cattle raising. They lived in the vicinity of what was then "Jones Creek" further up the river from Lena, and a place later known as "Grays's Bridge" on Little River around 1877. Family Surnames included Lucas, Vallier or Valley, Niquette, Payant, and Rosera. From French Canada came the three Ruelle brothers, one of whom, named Frank, lived 106 years. They were joined by the families Dionne, Pelkey, and Netzer.

If you have information to add please e-mail RITA
Back to the Towns & Villages Home Page
Back to the Oconto County Home Page