William M. Underhill, postmaster of Oconto, moved to the wilderness in the western part of Oconto County where he built and ran a sawmill. E.F. Wichael followed soon afterward with another mill and boarding house.
An early store was operated by W.C. Zachow. The post office and store were housed in the same building in 1905 with owner Cornelious Serier as postmaster. Later mill owners where J.H. Frank, W.W.Smith, H.C. Sorenson, Harold Muehl, Gust Bocher, and H.A. Koske. Milling of lumber ended by 1924 and only the retail sales were left by 1929. The store was later owned by the W.E. Janssen family. Information gathered at the Farnsworth Library in Oconto.