HUGO BOCLO, druggist, Cedarburg; is a native
of Germany, born in 1827; learned the drug business, and in 1846 emigrated to the
United States, landing in Milwaukee in April, where he clerked in a store for the
purpose of learning the English language, until August, when he came with Dr. Theo.
Hartwig to Cedarburg; the May following, he returned to Milwaukee and entered into
partnership Dr. Zuening with whom he carried on a drug business; in September, 1848,
he returned to Germany and remained until April, 1849, when he came to Cedarburg.
In 1862, he enlisted in the 26th W. V. I., and served in the Medical Department one
year. He then returned to Cedarburg, and, in partnership with William Vogenitz, carried
on an insurance business, etc., until 1870, during which time he served two terms;
in 1873, he re-opened his drug business. He was Postmaster for about twelve years.
He was married, in 1850, to Emily Luther; they have had four children, of whom Charlotte
is the only one living.
A. M. BOEHME, book-keeper for Hilgen Manufacturing Co., Cedarburg; one of the oldest settlers of Ozaukee Co.; is a native of Germany, born in 1831; emigrated to the United States in 1851, and settled in Cedarburg; rented a saw-mill, which he ran about seven years; then served as Town Clerk; was engaged in mercantile business two years, and followed various employments until 1878, since which time he has been book-keeper for the Hilgen Manufacturing Co. He was married, in 1852, to Caroline Seifert; they have three children - William, Augusta and Ida.
AUGUST BOHRTZ, blacksmith, Cedarburg; is a native of Germany, born in 1842; learned his trade, and, in 1867, was married to Johanna Margwardt, and in a few weeks emigrated to the United States; first settled at Milwaukee, where he followed his trade until 1875, owning a shop during the last five years; he then came to Cedarburg, purchased his present shop - a stone building 30 x 40 feet - and has since ran two forges. The children are Robert, Emma and Willie.
JOHN F. BRUSS, merchant, Cedarburg; was born in the town of Mequon, Ozaukee Co., Nov. 8, 1847, received a common-school education in England and Germany; at the age of 16 he went to Manitowoc Co., and clerked in the store of John Bruss two years, then purchased an interest in the business and continued under the firm name of John Bruss & Co., two years; in 1868, he spent one term at the "Spencerian College" of Milwaukee; then came to Cedarburg, since which time he has been engaged in a general mercantile business, in connection with which, in 1880, he purchased an interest in the hardware business of H. G. Groth, which is now being carried on under the firm name of H. G. Groth & Co. Mr. Bruss was married, in 1870, to Miss Mary Groth of Cedarburg. They had four children - John, Lenord, Emma and Theodore. Politics, Republican; religion, Lutheran.
C. F. BURGWARDT, teacher in the Lutheran Schools; was born in Niagara Co., N.Y.; he was educated at the German College of Addison, Ill., and at the age of 21, went to New York City and served as clerk in a lumber office eight months; then as teacher in Western Canada six months, when he returned home, and two months later came to Wisconsin, arriving at Cedarburg July 1, 1878; and has since been teaching the German Lutheran Schools. He was married in November, 1878, to Alma Cowalsky, then of Cedarburg, but a native of Germany. They have one child - Berthold, born in September, 1880.
WILLIAM H. FITZGERALD, Cedarburg; is the son of John and Ellen (O'Keefe) Fitzgerald, natives of Ireland, who emigrated to the United States in about 1830, and settled in Ozaukee Co., where he was born May 15, 1849; received a common-school education. Oct. 27, 1877, he was married to Miss Theresa Dunn; they have three children - Edward H., George F. and Arthur R. In 1875, his father deeded him his farm of 105 acres, which he worked until 1881, when he rented the same to his brother. Mr. F. is a Democrat, and has been Town Treasurer, and is at present Justice of the Peace; has been a member of the Assembly three terms, the last time he came out as an independent candidate only five days before election, but was elected by a majority of eighty-one.
P.K. GANNON, a native of Ireland, born in 1826, received a thorough classical course in Latin and Greek, being educated for the ministry (which, however, he did not choose to follow), at Maynooth College, where he graduated in July, 1851, and immediately emigrated to the United States, landing in the city of New York in August. The first two years he spent rusticating among the Alleghany Mountains of Pennsylvania, then spent one year in Southern Indiana, and the year following in the office of the Illinois Central Railroad, at Chicago. In 1855, he came to Wisconsin, and, after spending one year at Waukesha, settled at Cedarburg, and was Principal of the schools until 1864; during which time he also served as Town Superintendent of Schools. In 1864, he was elected County Superintendent, and served two terms; in the fall of 1869, he was a candidate for State Superintendent, against Alexander Craig; he then took charge of the schools in Cedarburg, until August, 1875. Mr. Gannon is at present special agent for the Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company, with whom he has been since 1876. He was married, in 1860, to Miss Mary Griffin, then of Milwaukee Co., but formerly of Boston; the children are Henry, now railroading in Chicago; Martha M., teacher in the Primary Department of the Cedarburg Graded School; John (deceased); Gerald, a clerk in the store of Boerner Bros.; Eugene, Mary, Walter, Thomas and Melvin, living at home.
CHARLES GOTTSCHALK, liveryman, Cedarburg; a native of Germany; born Sept. 23, 1844; when 4 years of age, was brought by his parents to the United States and lived with them on a farm in the town of Mequon, until 10 years old; then commenced working for other parties, which he continued until 1862, at which time he enlisted in Co. B, 26th W.V.I., and served until the close of the war; returning to Wisconsin, he spent a few months at Milwaukee; then came to Cedarburg; in the spring of 1866, in partnership with Frederick Erntz, built a limekiln and burnt lime one season, when they dissolved partnership, and Mr. G. followed teaming, hauling flour to Milwaukee for two and a half years; then spent one summer on a farm, after which he followed teaming at Cedarburg until 1871, when he commenced the livery business and now has the largest livery in Ozaukee Co., keeping twenty horses and many fine carriages, sleighs, etc. He was married, Oct. 18, 1869, to Mina Beckman; they have four children living - Charles, Adline, Hulda and Matie; politics, Democratic; has been Deputy Sheriff, Constable, etc.
THOMAS HALPIN, farmer, Sec. 16; P.O. Cedarburg; was born in Albany, N.Y., in 1842; the same year his parents returned to Ireland, but in a few months again came to the United States, and settled in the town of Cedarburg, where they now live; Thomas attended school at Cedarburg, and the State University; in 1870, his father gave him his present farm of 55 acres, which he has since cultivated, teaching school during winter. In 1873, he was married to Miss Anastasia J. Latherty, of Milwaukee Co.; they have four children - Mary F., Anastasia, Thomas C., and William C. Mr. Halpin is a Liberal in politics, and is, at present Chairman of the Town Board; his father, P. Halpin, is one of the oldest settlers of Ozaukee Co.; was born in Ireland July 1, 1813. In 1839, he was married to Julia Martha, emigrated to the United States, and lived at Albany, N.Y., until 1842; in June, 1843, came to Wisconsin, purchased his present farm, and has since cultivated the same. Mr. Halpin is a Liberal in politics; has been Chairman of the Town Board seven years, and Town Commissioner of Schools one term, besides holding other local offices; the children living are Thomas, Catherine, Rose, now Mrs. Edward O'Brien of Franklin Co., Iowa, and Mary Ann.
DR. T.H. HARTWIG, Cedarburg; the pioneer physician of Ozaukee Co.; was born in Frankenburg, Kur-Hessia, Germany, June 7, 1820; at the age of 19, he turned his attention to the study of medicine; entered the schools of Marburg, where he graduated in 1845; he then spent one year with his father (who was also a physician), and, in 1846, immigrated to the United States, landing at New York Aug. 10; in a few days, in company with three friends whose acquaintance he formed while crossing the Atlantic, he concluded to go West on a hunting expedition, and accordingly started for Wisconsin, via the great lakes. While crossing the lakes they made the acquaintance of William Luening, who was then building the Columbia Mills, near Cedarburg. He requested them to make him a visit. So, after landing at Milwaukee, they prepared their guns, ammunition and tent equipments, and started up the Milwaukee River to Cedar Creek, thence up the latter to Cedarburg. Here they met Conrad Horneffer, a countryman of Hartwig's, who requested him to remain and practice medicine. The Doctor did not consider it a very good point for his profession, but concluded he would stay until spring; but, as the winter passed, he became somewhat settled, and, as the people did not wish to spare him, he continued his practice; in 1847, built the house now owned by John Buch. In 1850, he was married to Caroline Hodann, daughter of Albert and Mary (Behling) Hodann, then of Cedarburg but now of Mequon. In 1860, he was induced by the people of West Bend to come to that place, and, as they offered him a salary, he consented to go; but, after practicing at that place eighteen months, one wintry day seventeen sleighs loaded with people of Cedarburg, called upon him and requested him to return, and, as this could be considered as a unanimous call, he could hardly refuse. He therefore returned to Cedarburg, purchased property, built the residence which he still occupies, and has since continued his practice here. He was Examining Physician during the draft of 1862. Dr. Hartwig took out his naturalization papers on the day of his arrival in Cedarburg in 1846. Has been an active worker for the Democratic party; voted for the first constitution of Wisconsin, but has never held a public office, as he considered his profession of far more importance. The children are Theodore, who is engineer in Sherman's Mill, at Eau Claire; Albert is a member of the firm of Carstens & Hartwig, brewers, Eau Claire; Max; Ida, now Mrs. Charles B. Carstens, of Eau Claire, and Agatha.
HENRY HENTSCHEL, firm of Hentschel & Jochem, Cedarburg; was born in Fischheim, Saxony, April 29, 1839; came to the United States in 1860, and settled in the town of Mequon on the 2d day of May; followed tailoring until August, after which he clerked in the store of Louis Wagner nine years, at the end of which time he purchased an interest in the mercantile business of Botentarfer & Co. at Hamilton; two years thereafter he purchased his partner's interest; continued the business alone six years, then took in his present partner, changed the firm name to Hentschel & Jochem, and, in 1877, removed the business to Cedarburg. He is a Democrat, a member of the A., F. & A. M., O. D. H. S. and the Cedarburg Fire Company. He was married, in 1869, to E. Zimmerman, of Mequon; they have three children - Anna, Louisa and Otto.
J. F. HILGEN, Cedarburg; was born in this place in 1846; was educated in both English and German languages, having finished his school days at Lincoln College of Milwaukee. He kept the books for the Cedarburg Woolen Mills until 1872, when he engaged in the lumber trade, and subsequently, in partnership with his father, built a planing-mill and ran the same under the firm name of F. Hilgen & Son, until 1879, when it was sold, and is now known at the Hilgen Manufacturing Co., since which time he has been keeping the "Hilgen Spring Park," of which he took charge in 1878. He was married, in 1871, to Kate Dietrich, of Cedarburg.
HON. F. W. HORN, lawyer, Cedarburg. The subject of this sketch ranks with the prominent men in the State of Wisconsin; he was born in the village of Linum, near Berlin, Prussia, Aug. 21, 1815; received a collegiate education at the College Gray Friars, Berlin; he left Prussia for the United States in 1836; resided in the State of New York until 1837; went in the fall of that year to Michigan; then traveled through Illinois and Iowa, returning to Michigan in the winter of 1839; in 1840, he came to Milwaukee; in 1841, settled at Mequon; and, in 1847, removed to his present place of residence. Mr. Horn has been in public life nearly the entire time since he came to Wisconsin; he was Postmaster during his residence in Mequon; was appointed by Gov. Doty, in 1842, Justice of the Peace of old Washington Co., then the only magistrate in the county; he served as Register of Deeds in 1846-47; was elected Independent candidate to the first State Senate in 1848, and re-elected in 1849-50; was elected to the Assembly in 1851, 1854, 1857, 1859, 1860, 1867, 1868, and 1872; was elected Speaker of that body in 1851 and 1854; was State Commissioner of Emigration, having his office at New York; in 1854-55, was delegate to the Democratic Convention of New York in 1868. Mr. Horn has been twice married - in 1845, to Adelheid Schoeliner; she died in 1849, leaving one child - Agnes - now Mrs. Wm. Retberg, of Cedarburg; in 1850, he was married to Minna Schaper; the children are Bertha, now Mrs. G.B. Zaun, of Milwaukee; Frederick, station agent at Pewaukee; William, station agent at Cedarburg; Minna, Alexander and Hannah.
F. JAUCKE, proprietor of Washington House, Cedarburg; a native of Germany; born Sept. 22, 1827; learned the miller's trade, and, in 1854, emigrated to the United States; lived in Ohio until 1856, then came to Wisconsin, and worked at his trade in various places in the State until 1859, at which time he was married to Mary Leifer, then of Manitowoc, but formerly of Germany. He then settled in Walworth Co., where he was engaged in the milling business until 1863, when he went to Burlington, Racine Co., and continued the same business. In 1871, he built the Western Union Hotel of that place, and ran the same until June, 1876, when he sold out; came to Cedarburg, and purchased the Washington House. He is a Republican and a Mason.
L. E. JOCHEM, of the firm of Hentschel & Jochem, Cedarburg; was born in Mequon in 1853. His parents, Adam and Gertrude Jochem, were natives of Germany, who came to the United States, and settled in the town of Mequon in 1840, and therefore were among the earliest settlers of Ozaukee Co. They followed farming; reared a family of twelve children, of whom seven, four boys and three girls, are now living. Mr. Jochem served as County Treasurer one term, and held many local offices. He died in 1871. His wife died in 1873. The subject of this sketch received a common-school education; and, at the age of 16, went to Waupun, where he learned the carriage trade, and followed the same at that place about five years; then spent one year at Ripon and Oshkosh, at the end of which time he returned to Ozaukee Co.; purchased an interest in the business of Henry Hentschel, of Hamilton, and, in 1877, removed the business to Cedarburg, and has since been doing a general mercantile business. He is agent for the American Express Company and Deputy Postmaster. He was married, in 1878, to Mary Bodendorfer. They have one child living - Albert L.
J.W. JOHANN, of the firm of Hilgen Manufacturing Company, and Cedarburg Woolen Mills; is one of the leading business men as well as one of the early settlers of Ozaukee Co. He was born in Bavaria, Germany, in 1837; emigrated to the United States with his parents in 1846, and lived with them on a farm in the town of Belgium, Ozaukee Co. In 1862, he enlisted in the 34th W.V.I.; afterward transferred to the 35th W.V.I., and served until the spring of 1865, when he was mustered out as Captain. He then returned to Ozaukee Co., and was engaged in a dry goods business at Port Washington. In 1868, he sold out and removed to Cedarburg, purchasing an interest in the Cedarburg Woolen Mills, of which he has since been Secretary, keeping the books until 1880, when he purchased an interest in the Hilgen Manufacturing Company, of which he is also Secretary. In politics, Republican; and is at present Postmaster, which office he has held since 1869. He was married, Aug. 2, 1866, to Miss Eliza Hilgen, daughter of F. Hilgen. They have three children - Albert, Emil and Nellie.
CHARLES LAU, Principal of the Cedarburg Graded School; is the oldest teacher in Ozaukee Co. He was born in Germany in 1836; received a collegiate education; and, in 1854, with his parents, emigrated to the United States, and settled on a farm near Cedar Lake, Washington Co. His health did not permit him to teach the first season; but in the winter of 1855-56, he taught in the district in which he resided a term of four months. In the fall of 1857, he was called to teach school in District No. 14, town of Mequon, Ozaukee Co., which situation he held for six years, spending the summer vacations working on farms in different parts of the State. In the spring of 1863, he was married to Miss Elizabeth Jochem, daughter of Adam and Gertrude Jochem. In 1866, he removed to Thiensville, and taught the school at that place until August, 1875, since which time he has had charge of the Cedarburg Graded School. While at Thiensville, he was a candidate for County Superintendent against J.C. Whitford. He is a Republican but takes littler interest in politics. Has been a delegate to State Conventions, etc. Is a member of the O. D. H. S., I. O. O. F, Turnverein and Cedarburg Fire Company. The children are William, Charles, Martha, Mary and Otto.
C.W. LEHMANN, firm of Lehmann Bros., hardware merchants, Cedarburg; is a native of Germany, born in 1840; emigrated, with his parents, to the United States in 1854, and, after living in Milwaukee about three months, settled in the town of Mequon, Ozaukee Co., where he attended school and helped his parents until 1857, when he went to Chicago, learned the tinner's trade, and, in 1860, returned to Ozaukee Co.; followed farming until 1862, when he was drafted into the United States service, and served in Co. C, 34th W.V.I., nine months; he then engaged in the furniture business at Evansville, Wis., and afterward started the hardware business for Nels Sawyer; in 1867, he came to Cedarburg, started a hardware store, and the following year took in his brother, Julius Lehmann, since which time the firm has been Lehmann Bros.; in 1874, they erected their present store, which is a stone building, 50 x 50, and three stories in height; also, an addition, 28 x 20, one story high; the first floor of the entire building is used as a store and workshop, the second floor as a dwelling, and the third is a hall occupied as a lodge-room by the O.D.H.S.; cost of building $6,000; they now carry a stock of about $5,500. Mr. Lehmann was married in 1870 to Miss Caroline Horneffer, daughter of Conrad Horneffer; they have two children - Paul W. and Martha M.; is a Liberal in politics, a member of the F.& A.M.; and the O.D.H.S.
GUSTUS PODOLL, photographer, and dealer in general merchandise, Cedarburg; a native of Prussia, born Sept. 12, 1841; emigrated to the United States alone in 1853, and first settled at Michigan City, Ind.; learned the machinist trade, and spent the year 1857 on a farm near San Pierre; the following year he attended school at Valparaiso; in 1859, he returned to Prussia, where he remained until 1861, during which time he served one year in the Prussian Army, and, in 1861, was married to Ida Kimps; returning to the United States, he enlisted in the 4th Ind. V.C., and served as First Lieutenant a short time, when he resigned his commission and again resumed work at his trade at Michigan City. Jan. 1, 1863, his wife died, and soon after he removed to Chicago; in the fall of 1866, he came to Cedarburg, and has since been engaged in photographing; had a branch gallery at Port Washington about four years; also ran a view wagon two years. In 1866, he was married to Mrs. Catharine Adler, widow of Herman Adler, and, as she was engaged in general mercantile business at the time of marriage, Mr. Podoll has continued the same in connection with his other business. Is an active worker for the Democratic party.
JOHN ROTH, Cedarburg; was born in Ohio in 1836, and, at the age of 7 years, came with his parents to Wisconsin, and after living one year in Milwaukee, he settled in Cedarburg; here he learned the carpenter's trade, and soon commenced contracting and building, which he continued with few exceptions until 1881. In 1863, he served in the United States service. During the pioneer days, he spent considerable time hunting, trapping, etc., and therefore has killed many wolves, deer, etc.; in those days, he frequently traveled sixty miles per day after deer; in 1879, he removed to Milwaukee where he remained until February, 1881, at which time he purchased his present business. He was married, in 1856, to Lanie Steel; they have two children - Louis and John. His father, John Roth, was a native of Germany, who emigrated to the United States in 1832, and built the first frame building in Cedarburg; his mother was a native of Switzerland.
F.G. SCHUETTE, Town Clerk, Cedarburg; is the son of John and Catharine Schuette, natives of Germany, who settled in the town of Cedarburg in 1850, and reared a family of eight children - four boys and four girls; they are still engaged in farming. The subject of this sketch was born in Cedarburg in 1855; was educated in the Cedarburg Graded School and Spencerian College of Milwaukee; at the age of 17, he learned cigar-making and in 1874 opened a cigar manufactory, which he ran until 1881. He was married in 1876, to Miss Eliza Keuther; they have one child - Frederick J.H. - born in 1877. Mr. Schuette is a Republican, and is at present Town Clerk, which office he has held since 1877. He is a member of the I.O.O.F. and the O.D.H.S.
WILLIAM VOGENITZ, Justice of the Peace, Cedarburg; a pioneer of Ozaukee Co.; was born near Magdeburg, Province of Saxony, Prussia, in the year 1820; emigrated to the United States in 1839, and first settled on Sec. 18, town of Mequon, but in the spring in 1840 went to Milwaukee; worked as a common laborer until fall, then clerked two years for George F. Austin, being the first German clerk employed in Milwaukee; after leaving Mr. Austin, he clerked for other parties until the fall of 1844, at which time Mr. Austin, wishing to retire from business, intrusted him with the stock of goods to dispose of; he removed to Watertown; while disposing of Mr. Austin's goods, he kept filling up with his own, and so continued business at that place until the fall of 1846; then removed to Jackson, Washington Co.; purchased 40 acres of land, which, in connection with keeping a small grocery, also doing convoyancing, he cultivated until 1848, when he settled at Cedarburg; here he opened a store, and was engaged in the mercantile business until 1866, since which time he has attended to the office of Justice of the Peace, which he has held for over twenty-five years. Mr. Vogenitz served in the Assembly of 1856; was County Clerk of old Washington Co.; has been a member of the Town Board, and is Secretary of the Cedarburg Mutual Fire Insurance Company, which position he has held since the organization of the company in 1873. He has been twice married - in 1842, to Christianna Schueler, an adopted daughter of Mrs. Charlotte Miller of Milwaukee; she died in 1856; leaving five children of whom Mary (now Mrs. Herman Klug, of Milwaukee), is the only one living; in 1857, Mr. Vogenitz was married to Aurelia Hellweg; they have had six children, three of whom are now living - Johanna, Frank and John.
JOHN WEBER, proprietor of the Cedarburg Brewery; was born in Germany in 1830; learned the mason trade, and emigrated to the United States in 1854; continued his trade in Ohio one year, then came to Cedarburg; in 1869, in partnership with Dr. Fricke, he purchased Cedarburg Brewery, and ran the same under the firm name of D.T. Fricke & Co. until 1864, when he purchased his partner's interest, enlarged the brewery, added new machinery, so that the work is now done by steam power, and so increased the business that he now employs five men, and manufactures 1,500 barrels of beer annually. Was married in 1857, to Sopha Heuning; they have nine children - William, Bertha, August, Anna, John, Henry, Ida, Sopha and Oika. Is a Democrat, and a member of the I.O.O.F. and O.D.H.S.
CONRAD WIESLER, Cedarburg; a native of Germany; born in 1828; emigrated to the United States in 1851, landing in the city of New York April 20; following lumbering and farming in Oswego Co. until 1855, then removed to Michigan and continued lumbering at Manistee one year, and at Escanaba five or six years; he next went to Plainville, Ill., where he followed farming until 1864, after which he went to Chicago and engaged in the express business six years; in 1876, he came to Cedarburg, and has since been engaged in saloon and farming. He is a Republican. He was married Sept. 22, 1864, to Dora Hachfeld, then of Chicago, but formerly of Germany; they have six children living - William H.C., Dora A.R., Louis J., Frederick, Lena and Hattie.
CHARLES WILKE, Cedarburg; is a native of Germany, born in 1836; emigrated to the United States in 1854, and first settled in Milwaukee, where he clerked a short time in a dry goods house, then learned the saddler's trade; subsequently worked in Chicago, and in November, 1857, came to Cedarburg; in 1858, he opened a harness and saddlery shop, and has since been engaged in the same; in 1863, he returned to Germany to visit his parents and remained five months; in March, 1865, he was commissioned Recruiting Officer, raised a number of men, was commissioned Orderly Sergeant of Co. E, 52d W.V.I., and served until the close of the war. In the fall of 1865, he was married to Mena Horneffer; they have six children. Mr. Wilke is a Democrat; a member of the A., F. & A.M., the I.O.O.F., the O.D.H.S., the A.O.U.W., and has been an active member of the Turner Society since its organization, takingpart in the first drama presented by the society at Cedarburg; was also the first Secretary of the Cedarburg Fire Co.
J.P. WIRTH, one of the oldest settlers of Cedarburg; is a native of Bavaria, Germany; born in 1815; he learned the shoemaker's trade, and, in 1845, emigrated to the United States, and after working one year in the city of New York, came to Wisconsin, and, in August, 1846, settled at Cedarburg; the first year he served in the employ of Fred Sleifer, at the end of which time he was married to Miss Margaret Meuller, and commenced business alone; in 1850, becoming tired of living in a log hut, he built the frame house which he still occupies as a residence; he subsequently purchased land, and, in 1865, commenced dealing in ready-made boots and shoes; in 1870, he associated his son Charles as a partner, built a fine stone building which they occupied as a store; in 1878, Mr. Wirth retired and let his son Gustave take his interest, since which time the firm has been Wirth Bros. Charles, the elder of the firm, was born in Cedarburg in 1849; learned the shoemaker's trade, and, in 1871, was married to Mary Goetz, of Milwaukee; they have two children - Frederick and Emma. Gustave, the younger of the firm, was born in Cedarburg in 1856; learned cigar-making, and was for a short time engaged in the manufacture of the same.
D. WITTENBERG, President of the Cedarburg Woolen Mills, is a native of Germany; born in Hanover in 1834; emigrated to the United States with his parents in 1844, and settled at Cedarburg, and is, therefore, one of the oldest settlers of the place; here he helped his parents on the farm until 1855; after which he spent ten years at teaming; in 1865, in partnership with F. Hilgen, he built the Cedarburg Woolen Mills; in 1872, it was made an incorporated stock company, of which he has since been President; he is a Republican. He was married in 1858 to Margaret Hilgen; the children living are Johana, Ida, Fred, Dedrich, Lanie, Maggie, George and Aggie.
E.G. WURTHMANN, painter, Cedarburg; is a native of Oldenburg, Germany, born in 1846; at 10 years of age, he was left an orphan, and at 14 he emigrated to the United States, and settled in the town of Mequon, Ozaukee Co.; here he commenced painting; in 1863, he went to Chicago, and remained three years; then returned to Ozaukee Co., settled at Cedarburg, where he has since continued his trade, and met with good success; he now owns 16 acres of land just outside of the village, on which he has built a fine brick house and made other improvements according. Mr. Wurthmann was married in 1870, to Hellen Roebken; they have two children - Otto and Adele.
to Ozaukee County Biography Page
Return to Ozaukee County Main Page