WEITERMANN has been working on his family history and has contributed the
following pictures and obituaries for his GARLAND family ancestors who have
been found to be both buried in the
Town of Sevastopol-Bayside Cemetery
thanks to his research (25 Aug 2010). His grandmother was Marvel
Elizabeth (GARLAND) WEITERMANN, granddaughter of John and Elizabeth
you have any additions or corrections you would like to make or family
pictures or information on the GARLAND Family, please contact the PGS at
Above: LEFT: picture of
Elizabeth (CROWEL) GARLAND (Mrs. John GARLAND)-contributed by John
WEITERMANN (25 Aug 2010)-original found at the
Historical Museum in Sturgeon Bay. - MIDDLE: John and Elizabeth
GARLAND's son Nathaniel C. and Louise Mary (COUGHLAN) GARLAND - RIGHT:
Daughter of Nathaniel C. and Louise Mary (COUGHLAN) GARLAND: Marvel
Elizabeth (GARLAND) WEITERMANN-1894 to 1988.
The following are
GARLAND Family History recollections
-contributed by John
WEITERMANN (25 Oct 2010):
GARLAND Family History, by John
GARLAND in the 1980's
"Thomas GARLAND was born about 1775 in
Wales. Around the year 1830 he owned five farms near Monmouth, four of
which he rented to tenant farmers. About 1839 he sold one of his farms
for 8000 pounds (about $40,000 in American money) and deposited this money
in a bank at Exeter. The money was intended as a bequest for his
grandson, John (see paragraph below), but he cut off the bequest when his
grandson went to sea against his will. Thomas GARLAND's first wife was
Mary AVERY who died about 1830. A few years after her death he married
his servant girl, and after hid death, about 1850, she destroyed his will,
depriving his rightful heirs of a considerable fortune.
John GARLAND, Thomas GARLAND's eldest son, was
married in Breacon, England about 1820. His wife's name was Mary Ann.
They had four children - John and Mary (twins) Thomas and Tamzin. I
have no record of the date of birth or death of the parents.
John GARLAND, eldest son of John and Mary Ann,
was born near Monmouthshire on May 21, 1825. In 1850 he married
Elizabeth CROWEL who was born February 9, 1833 in St. John, New Brunswick.
In 1853 they came to America, accompanied by John's twin sister, Mary Ann.
When they reached Chicago, Mary Ann remained in that city while John and
Elizabeth continued on to what is now the city of Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin.
He was engaged in the real estate business and at one time owned most of the
land north of what is now Jefferson Street, for a distance of several miles.
he was the first Chairman of the County Board in Door County. He
donated money and land for public use, and in recognition of his
contributions to the community, Garland Street (now Jefferson) was named in
his honor. John GARLAND died in Sturgeon Bay in March 1888.
Elizabeth GARLAND died in 1918 in Iron Mountain, Michigan at the home of her
Nathaniel GARLAND was born to John and
Elizabeth GARLAND January 22, 1868. He was one of ten children and,
like his father, was a twin. He spent the 1880's in Chicago, living
with his Aunt Mary Ann, where he attended public school, then became
affiliated with the Chicago Newspaper Union. June 26, 1890 he married
in Chicago, Louise Mary COGHLAN who was born in Montreal, Canada November
19, 1869, but came to Chicago as an infant when her parents moved from
Montreal. Her father was Daniel COGHLAN, a native of Ireland.
Her mother's maiden name was Mary BARNETTE who was of French Canadian
descent, and before her marriage, had a career as a professional singer and
After the marriage Nathaniel GARLAND returned
with his bride to Sturgeon Bay where they spent their remaining years.
There were five children: Thomas, Josephine, Marvel, John and Nat.
Nathaniel (N. C.) GARLAND was editor of the Advocate until 1917 when he
became editor of The Door County News. In 1927 he was appointed
Postmaster at Sturgeon Bay, and served in that position until his retirement
in 1935. He held a number of public offices in Sturgeon Bay, including
City Clerk, Alderman, Secretary of the Door County Fair Association and two
terms as Mayor (1914-1918). He served also as Chairman of the Draft
Board in World War I and World War II. Garland Park, at the head of
what was formerly Garland Street, is named in his honor. N. C. GARLAND
died in June 1945, Louise GARLAND in December 1946."- John GARLAND,
NOTE WRITTEN BY N. C. GARLAND, Mayor of the
City of Sturgeon Bay Wisconsin.
"Thomas GARLAND lived at Trekyck, near
Camelford, about the year 1820. His first wife was Mary AVERY, who
died about 1830. About two or three years afterward he married his
servant girl. About this time he began to deposit money in a bank in
Exeter. He had one daughter by his second wife. Think her name
was Mary. At this time he owned four farms, from which he received
rent and laid aside, besides the one on which he lived (Trekyck).
After his second marriage he lived on this farm for some time, but during
the last few years of his life he spent his summers at a village called
Bascastle, where he renated a residence, but died at Trekyck. The
names of the children by the first wife were John, Richard, Mary, William,
Fannie and Thomas.
A man by the name of
PIERCE was Thomas GARLAND's attorney at this time, who transacted all his
legal affairs. John, the eldest son, was married about 1820 in BREACON;
he had four children--John and Mary Ann (twins) were born in 1825 in
Shinnewton, near Chepston, Monmouthshire; Thomas and Tamzin. Mary Ann
lived with Mrs. KELLOW in Camelford, who knew all about the affairs of
Thomas GARLAND. Mrs. KELLOW was the daughter named Fannie, Mr. KING
must know her). Thomas GARLAND from the time his first wife died
deposited the rent of these four farms in the bank until he died about 1850.
He sold a farm near Dellabale about 1839 for 8,000 pounds, which entailed to
John the second, and deposited this money in the bank. He cut off the
entail because John went to sea against his will. After John and Mary
Ann came to America in 1853 they received a letter from Mr. BATES of
Camelford (butcher) near the bridge, saying that Thomas GARLAND's relic had
hung herself through remorse for having burned the bank books and will and
caused the departure of the grandchildren to America to seek a living.
What has become of Trekyck? This was the homestead. Richard BURLT was
head clerk for Mr. PIERCE when John sold Halloot and when Thomas GARLAND
died. - Camelford, Cornwall, England. "
OBITUARIES from the Door
County Advocate for
John and Elizabeth
-contributed by John
WEITERMANN (25 Oct 2010):
OBIT-Door Co. Advocate-17
"Died" GARLAND -In this city, 11 March
1888, of inflammation of the bladder, John GARLAND, aged sixty-two years,
nine months and fourteen days.
Mr. GARLAND came to Door County in 1853, and
settled on the shore of Sturgeon Bay about one mile south of where Capt. R.
LAURIE now resides. He remained on this place until about 1864, when the
family was removed to the city. Mr. Garland then holding the position of
county clerk, an office held by him for three successive terms. He erected
the residence now owned and occupied by Charles SCHOFIELD in 1868, and about
that time was the possessor of all the real estate lying in that part of the
city and which was afterward purchased by John LEATHEM. In July 1876, Mr.
GARLAND went to Chicago, where he remained until the 23rd? Of
last January, Mrs. GARLAND and a portion of the family having remained here
during the interval. A widow and five children survive him. The latter are
Mrs. F. C. WRIGHT, Mrs. Henry M. RUGGLES, Mrs. Frank WEIDEMAN (WEIDERMANN)
and Nath. C. And Archie.
The deceased was born in Wales in 1825, and at
the age of fourteen went to sea, which he followed until 1853, visiting
nearly all the lands reached by the merchant marine of Great Britain. Being
very observant and blessed with a retentive memory he was capable of
minutely describing nearly all the events which had come under his notice
during the fourteen years that he spent on board ship. She was also well
read in the history of both his native and adopted country, and his
knowledge of the men who conducted the affairs of the two nations was truly
The funeral took place from the M. E. Church
last Wednesday afternoon, the services being conducted by Rev. Geo. W.
PRESCOTT, who delivered an eloquent and impressive sermon over the remains
of the deceased.
ELIZABETH (CROWEL) GARLAND
OBITUARY-Door Co. Advocate-1917:
Mrs. John GARLAND died at Iron Mountain,
Mich. At the home her son Archibald, Saturday morning-November 10, 1917. In
the passing of Mrs. GARLAND, Sturgeon Bay loses one of its oldest and best
known people, it being a little over 64 years since she came to this then
howling wilderness and helped to make it what it is today.
Mrs. GARLAND, whose maiden name was Elizabeth
CROWEL, was born in St. John, New BRUNSWICK, Feb. 7, 1833, being 84 years, 9
months and 3 days old at the time of her death. When a child about seven she
was brought to Bristol, England, where she spent her girlhood days. On
November 21, 1851, she married John GARLAND, a sea captain sailing out of
Bristol, and two years later the young couple came to America, arriving in
Sturgeon Bay November 3, 1853. Since that time she has been a constant
resident of this place, excepting a period of about ten years when the
family lived in Chicago and the past half dozen years or so, when she has
been visiting here and elsewhere with her children. She was preceded to the
grave by her husband in 1888.
While here a couple of years ago Mrs. GARLAND
was taken with pneumonia and it was thought that she could not recover, but
she got well and while never strong as formerly, she was quite active again.
She had another bad spell last summer and seemed to recover from that but
her old age and lack of vitality told and a severe cold finally caused her
death, being sick but about ten days.
Deceased was the mother of thirteen children,
but three of whom survive. These are Mayor N. C. GARLAND of this city, Mrs.
Anna WRIGHT, Miles City, Mont. And Archie of Iron Mountain, Mich. She
also was grandmother to twelve and greatgrandmother to (four?).
The remains were brought here Monday morning
and taken to the home of her son, Nat C., the funeral being held from the
home Tuesday morning, the remains being interred in the family lot at
Bayside, Rev. E. SYMONS of the M. E. Church, officiating. Those here from
outside were Mr. And Mrs. Archie GARLAND and two children, Mr. And Mrs. Nat
WRIGHT of Miles City, Mont., Mr. And Mrs. Henry Hovarth? And Mrs. Nate
SCOFIELD of Green Bay, and Rose WRIGHT of Manitowoc.
-Received by the PGS via e-mail from John WEITERMANN (25 Aug 2010).