Peninsula Genealogical Society - Door Co. WI
updated 2 Jul 2010
Town of Clay Banks
Door County, Wisconsin
See: HISTORY OF DOOR COUNTY for more History of Door County including early settlers.
High Clay Banks. Sailors used them as sailing landmarks.
YEAR FORMED: Set off from Town of Forestville in Feb 1859. First town meeting held April 1859 at Prescott’s Boarding House.
W. H. WARREN Sr. from New York-farmer and surveyor;
William HELMHOLZ from Germany-farmer. (Both came in 1855).
New Englanders, German, Norwegian..
Farming, Lumbering, Sawmills..
(1) HITT Sawmill and Lumber, Proprietor: ______HITT (father of Charles), (1863?-1873).
(2) Eagle Hotel, Proprietor: Charles HITT (born in New York), (1875-?).
(3) PAARMANN Merchantile Business, Proprietor: F. PARRMANN (born in Germany, lived in Ahnapee, Kewaunee Co.), (Fall 1876-?), Location: Town of Clay Banks.
SOME FAMILIES ASSOCIATED WITH TWP:
HELMHOLZ, HITT, PAARMANN, PRESCOTT, SCHUYLER, TUFTS, WARREN.
MORE TOWN OF CLAY BANKS PEOPLE-Biographies found in: History of Northern Wisconsin-1881
HITT, Charles I. (proprietor Eagle Hotel, Clay Banks)
PAARMANN, F. (merchant & Postmaster, Clay Banks)
SCHUYLER, Albert J. (veterinary surgeon & farmer, PO Clay Banks)
TUFTS, James (proprietor of saw-mill & pier, Clay Banks)
WARREN, W. H. Sr. (farmer & surveyor, PO Horns Pier)
ADDITIONAL TOWN OF CLAY BANKS FAMILIES-
VISTE Families along with Town of Forestville Families (see surnames) - contribution by Mary Beth KIRCH (2 Jul 2010)
(1) Tanum Forest Evangelical Lutheran-ELCA (Vignes), address: 6102 Co. Hwy 00, Sturgeon Bay, WI 54235.
Pictures taken on 11 Oct 2008: Please click on the pictures to see them enlarged:
-Tanum Evangelical Lutheran Church (Sec. 18 of the Town of Clay Banks) was organized in 1872; divided into Tanum Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Church and Forest Norwegian Lutheran Church in 1883 and recombined into Tanum Forest Evangelical Lutheran Church in 1973. Bay View Church of Sawyer shared pastors until 1902 when it became independent.
-Church records were microfilmed for the Tanum Forest Evangelical Lutheran Church by Sue Hohneke for The Genealogical Society of Utah in 1991 and include:
Tanum, Forest, Bay View 1876-1901; Tanum 1901-1955; Tanum 1948-1951; Tanum 1952-1968; Tanum 1955-1973; Forest 1901-1955; Forest, Tanum 1955-1973; Tanum Forest 1922-1951; Tanum Forest 1973-1991 (part)
*FHL US/CAN Film#'s 1769859 & 1787462 Item 1 - available to order through inter loan at your nearest Family History Center of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints or available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah.
(2) Catholic Church- (possibly Old St. Mary, Forestville) - Records start date: Baptisms-1880, Marriages-1881, Funerals-1870 (Ethnic background: German). For more information see Green Bay Catholic Diocese Archives.
Foscoro was named in the winter of 1870 when three Port Washington men, FOSTER, COE and ROE began construction of a sawmill at the mouth of Stoney Creek.
LOCATION AND ADDRESS OF TOWN HALL:
Old Vignes School, Cty Trk 00 and Shiloh Road. Click on the picture taken 11 Oct 2008 to see it enlarged:
DAMAGE DUE TO FIRE OF OCT 1871:
Fire swept up from Brown County. Horn's Pier was burned, name changed to Cheeseville.
Warren’s Corners (1871-1878) name changed to Horn’s Pier (1878-1886), name changed to Cheeseville (1886-1893).
Return to the TOWN OF CLAY BANKS Page
Return to the DOOR COUNTY CIVIL TOWNS Page
Return to the PGS Page
RETURN TO THE HOMEPAGE