updated 2 Dec 2009
See: HISTORY OF DOOR COUNTY for more History of Door County including early settlers.
Neil (Neal) BLAIR, born in Scotland, farmer and trapper (1850);
Dan LeCLAIR, trapper (1850);
P. G. HIBBARD, born in New York, farmer, merchant and pier owner.
Farming, Fishing, Woodcutting, and Merchants.
(1) REYNOLDS, JACKSON & HARRIS- woodcutters and shippers (1867).
(2) Merchantile Store and Wood Shipping- Proprietor: Charles REYNOLDS (1876).
(3) Cedar Cutting and Shipping-Proprietor: Joseph SMITH (1869/1870).
(4) Pier owners and Merchants-Proprietors: P G. HIBBARD and P.G. WRIGHT-fishing (1861), pier (1868), merchants (1877).
SOME FAMILIES ASSOCIATED WITH TWP:
REYNOLDS, BAGNALL, BLEY, La MERE, ANSCHUTZ, ERSKINE.
MORE TOWN OF JACKSONPORT PEOPLE-Biographies found in: History of Northern Wisconsin-1881
ERSKINE, R. S. (proprietor of Erskine House, Jacksonport)
HIBBARD, P. G. (P.G. Hibbard & Co, pier owners & dealers in general merchandise, Jacksonport)
HOGAN, Emanuel (proprietor Wisconsin House, Jacksonport)
KIRTLAND, P. W. (fish dealer, Jacksonport)
MESSENGER, John G. (blacksmith & wagon maker, Jacksonport)
SMITH, Joseph (cedar wood & bark, Jacksonport)
(1) St. Michaelís Catholic Church-address: 6236 Highway 57, Sturgeon Bay WI 54235. Records available at the Green Bay Catholic Diocese Archives.
"The Catholic congregation (Town of Jacksonport) completed its present building in 1882"-from the "United Methodist Church Jacksonport 1990-100 years" History Pamphlet.
(2) Episcopal Church of the Holy Nativity-address: 3434 County Highway V, Egg Harbor WI 54209.
"The 'Church of the Nativity'-Episcopal-held its first service in July, 1886, although the church was far from completion." -from the "United Methodist Church Jacksonport 1990-100 years" History Pamphlet.
(3) Evangelical Church-address: County Highway T and County Highway V (NE)-Building was torn down and moved about 1940's.
"..the Evangelical Church (Town of Jacksonport), three miles west of the village, was dedicated in November of 1886" -from the "United Methodist Church Jacksonport 1990-100 years" History Pamphlet.
(4) Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church - WELS-address: 6710 County Highway T, Egg Harbor, WI 54209- Brackebusch (1892-1902) preached at Egg Harbor and Whitefish Bay-Records microfilmed: Vol 1: FHL Film #1597560 item 6 and Vol 2: FHL Film #1597665 item 4.
"The Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church of West Jacksonport celebrated its 100th anniversary in 1989." -from the "United Methodist Church Jacksonport 1990-100 years" History Pamphlet.
(5) Jacksonport United Methodist Church-address: 6154 Cave Point Dr., Sturgeon Bay WI 54235. Centennial Year History-1990. Records microfilmed: FHL Film #1421896 item 8.
MINISTERS For Jacksonport United Meth. Ch.: (see the CLERGY INDEX): 1889-D.C. SAVAGE (Oct.), 1889-F. BINDER (Nov.), 1890-C. P. CHEESEMAN, 1892-J.S. NEFF, 1895-J.A. VINCENT, 1897-Onnie SMITH, 1899-Jos. CONWAY, 1900-Elijah WARE, 1903-D.O. SANBORN, 1905-W.J. OLMSTED, 1906-D. WOODWARD, 1908-James CHURM, 1909-J.T. LEEK, 1911-Jason L. SIZER, 1913-L.E. SHANKS, 1915-E.J. SYMONS, 1920-J.S. ELLIS, 1922-Walter J. PATTON, 1924-John T. BOWDEN, 1930-Orval C. DITTES, 1932-Albert E. TINK, 1934-Theo. H. RUNYON, 1939-George R. WARREN, 1955-I. Dean JORDAN, 1962-Paul S. MEKKELSON, 1965-Donald G. STANNARD, 1971-David V. HARSH, 1978-Marilynn & Richard RUSHTON, 1986-William L. DUSHEK. - from The Centennial Book of The Jacksonport United Methodist Church-1990.
Portions of Baileys Harbor and Egg Harbor were set off to separate a Town under the name of Jacksonport by the State Legislature, approved 8 Mar 1869. Jacksonport was the Fourteenth (14th) and last Town to be organized in Door County.
County Highway AV. No fire number is visible but AV is only one quarter (1/4) mile long.-(1990's)
(1) Jacksonport (1867-1970).