Peninsula Genealogical Society - Door Co. WI
updated 2 Dec 2009
Town of Jacksonport
Door County, Wisconsin
See: HISTORY OF DOOR COUNTY for more History of Door County including early settlers.
Neil (Neal) BLAIR, born in Scotland, farmer and trapper (1850);
Dan LeCLAIR, trapper (1850);
P. G. HIBBARD, born in New York, farmer, merchant and pier owner.
Farming, Fishing, Woodcutting, and Merchants.
(1) REYNOLDS, JACKSON & HARRIS- woodcutters and shippers (1867).
(2) Merchantile Store and Wood Shipping- Proprietor: Charles REYNOLDS (1876).
(3) Cedar Cutting and Shipping-Proprietor: Joseph SMITH (1869/1870).
(4) Pier owners and Merchants-Proprietors: P G. HIBBARD and P.G. WRIGHT-fishing (1861), pier (1868), merchants (1877).
SOME FAMILIES ASSOCIATED WITH TWP:
REYNOLDS, BAGNALL, BLEY, La MERE, ANSCHUTZ, ERSKINE.
MORE TOWN OF JACKSONPORT PEOPLE-Biographies found in: History of Northern Wisconsin-1881
ERSKINE, R. S. (proprietor of Erskine House, Jacksonport)
HIBBARD, P. G. (P.G. Hibbard & Co, pier owners & dealers in general merchandise, Jacksonport)
HOGAN, Emanuel (proprietor Wisconsin House, Jacksonport)
KIRTLAND, P. W. (fish dealer, Jacksonport)
MESSENGER, John G. (blacksmith & wagon maker, Jacksonport)
SMITH, Joseph (cedar wood & bark, Jacksonport)
(1) St. Michaelís Catholic Church-address: 6236 Highway 57, Sturgeon Bay WI 54235. Records available at the Green Bay Catholic Diocese Archives.
"The Catholic congregation (Town of Jacksonport) completed its present building in 1882"-from the "United Methodist Church Jacksonport 1990-100 years" History Pamphlet.
(2) Episcopal Church of the Holy Nativity-address: 3434 County Highway V, Egg Harbor WI 54209.
"The 'Church of the Nativity'-Episcopal-held its first service in July, 1886, although the church was far from completion." -from the "United Methodist Church Jacksonport 1990-100 years" History Pamphlet.
(3) Evangelical Church-address: County Highway T and County Highway V (NE)-Building was torn down and moved about 1940's.
"..the Evangelical Church (Town of Jacksonport), three miles west of the village, was dedicated in November of 1886" -from the "United Methodist Church Jacksonport 1990-100 years" History Pamphlet.
(4) Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church - WELS-address: 6710 County Highway T, Egg Harbor, WI 54209- Brackebusch (1892-1902) preached at Egg Harbor and Whitefish Bay-Records microfilmed: Vol 1: FHL Film #1597560 item 6 and Vol 2: FHL Film #1597665 item 4.
"The Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church of West Jacksonport celebrated its 100th anniversary in 1989." -from the "United Methodist Church Jacksonport 1990-100 years" History Pamphlet.
(5) Jacksonport United Methodist Church-address: 6154 Cave Point Dr., Sturgeon Bay WI 54235. Centennial Year History-1990. Records microfilmed: FHL Film #1421896 item 8.
MINISTERS For Jacksonport United Meth. Ch.: (see the CLERGY INDEX): 1889-D.C. SAVAGE (Oct.), 1889-F. BINDER (Nov.), 1890-C. P. CHEESEMAN, 1892-J.S. NEFF, 1895-J.A. VINCENT, 1897-Onnie SMITH, 1899-Jos. CONWAY, 1900-Elijah WARE, 1903-D.O. SANBORN, 1905-W.J. OLMSTED, 1906-D. WOODWARD, 1908-James CHURM, 1909-J.T. LEEK, 1911-Jason L. SIZER, 1913-L.E. SHANKS, 1915-E.J. SYMONS, 1920-J.S. ELLIS, 1922-Walter J. PATTON, 1924-John T. BOWDEN, 1930-Orval C. DITTES, 1932-Albert E. TINK, 1934-Theo. H. RUNYON, 1939-George R. WARREN, 1955-I. Dean JORDAN, 1962-Paul S. MEKKELSON, 1965-Donald G. STANNARD, 1971-David V. HARSH, 1978-Marilynn & Richard RUSHTON, 1986-William L. DUSHEK. - from The Centennial Book of The Jacksonport United Methodist Church-1990.
Portions of Baileys Harbor and Egg Harbor were set off to separate a Town under the name of Jacksonport by the State Legislature, approved 8 Mar 1869. Jacksonport was the Fourteenth (14th) and last Town to be organized in Door County.
LOCATION AND ADDRESS OF TOWN HALL:
County Highway AV. No fire number is visible but AV is only one quarter (1/4) mile long.-(1990's)
DAMAGE DUE TO FIRE OF OCT 1871:
(1) Jacksonport (1867-1970).
Return to the DOOR COUNTY CIVIL TOWNS Page
Return to the PGS Page
RETURN TO THE HOMEPAGE