Peninsula Genealogical Society - Door Co. WI
updated 6 May 2010
CLICK ON PICTURES BELOW TO SEE THEM ENLARGED
Above: View from Observation Tower in Potowatomi State Park of Small Island (known also as Horlick's Island in the past) and Cabot's Point beyond with Quarry Park behind that (Jun 2008)-see Town of Nasewaupee Map page.
Town of Nasewaupee
Door County, Wisconsin
See: HISTORY OF DOOR COUNTY for more History of Door County including early settlers.
Established September 4, 1858 and formed November 1859, set off from the west part of the Town of Otumba. The town also included Basin Island, town 28, range 24. First town meeting held at home of Elijah S. FULLER in April 1860.
Iver JOHNSON, born in Norway, farmer (1855);
Talleck HAINES, born in Norway in 1812..
Norwegian, Irish, German..
Farming and Fishing.
SOME FAMILIES ASSOCIATED WITH TWP:
HAINES, DICKINSON, SCHUMACHER, DONLAND, GOETELMANN, MAY, SCHAEFFER, MALONEY, DONLAND, COORMLEY, UHL.
MORE TOWN OF NASEWAUPEE PEOPLE-Biographies found in: History of Northern Wisconsin-1881
GOETTELMANN, Andrew (farmer, PO Sawyer)
MAY, John (farmer, PO Sawyer)
SCHAEFER, Philip A. (farmer, PO Sawyer)
UHL, Mrs. Catharine Elizabeth (nee HASSMER) (widow of Peter, farmer, PO Sawyer)
(1) An early Evangelical Church on the NE side of Lenius Rd, near the junction of Co Hwys C and MM. The building was apparently used as a parttime residence (1990);
(2) Hainesville Lutheran Church-address: 3944 Co Hwy M, Sturgeon Bay WI 54235; Picture taken on 4 Oct 2008:
(3) Salem Lutheran Church-WELS, 3339 Co. Hwy MM, Sturgeon Bay, WI 54235.
(4) Old German Church (denomination unknown) - building now is "Bridal Chapel" on Lenius Road off CC.
Above: 5 Apr 2010: Pictures taken of old German Church converted to a Privately-owned Bridal Chapel on Lenius Rd..
(1) Hainesville School: located next to Hainesville Lutheran Church on Hwy M - picture taken 4 Oct 2008-now a home. Windows have been bricked over.
NASEWAUPEE was the name of the Menominee Indian Chief that lived there. The word NASEWAUPEE has reference to early dawn or before sunrise.
LOCATION AND ADDRESS OF TOWN HALL:
Southern Door Fire Station, corner of Park Drive and County C.
DAMAGE DUE TO FIRE OF OCT 1871:
Three (3) people killed, Fourteen (14) people with bodily injuries. Thirty-seven (37) people had property damage.
(1) Hainesville (1896-1902);
(2) Nasewaupee (1858-1862);
(3) Stokes (Stokes Corners) (1883-1903).
Return to the DOOR COUNTY CIVIL TOWNS Page
Return to the PGS Page
RETURN TO THE HOMEPAGE