Peninsula Genealogical Society - Door Co. WI


 Town of

WASHINGTON

updated 14 Nov 2009


MAPSHISTORYCEMETERIESCHURCHESSCHOOLSTOWN HALLPOST OFFICESSURNAMESMISC.FIRE OF 1871ARCHIVESDoor Co. FOLKSBios-Brwn,Kew.&DoorIndex1881MartinsHist


 

Town of Washington
Door County, Wisconsin

See: HISTORY OF DOOR COUNTY for more History of Door County including early settlers.


FORMER NAMES:

POTTAWATTAMIE - from the tribe of Native Americans that lived there.



YEAR FORMED:  

1849.
 


FIRST SETTLERS OTHER THAN NATIVE AMERICANS:

John A. BOONE, James McNEIL, George LOVEJOY, David E. CORBIN, Jack ARNOLD, Louis LEBUE from St. Helena Straights of Mackinac 1835-1836. Occupations: Fisherman, Trappers on Rock Island.



ETHNIC GROUPS:

Icelandic, Danish, Norwegian, Scotch.

 

OCCUPATIONS:

Resort Industry, Fishing, Retail.

 

EARLY BUSINESSES:

(1) Volney GARRETT-Cooper’s Shop-1853-made barrels.

(2) Amos SAUNDERS-Store-1849-storekeeper.

(3) Louis JOHNSON - Shoemaker- 1869-made shoes.

 

SOME FAMILIES ASSOCIATED WITH TWP:

BOONE, MCNEIL, LOVEJOY, CORBIN, ARNOLD,  LEBUE, MINER, CORNELL, SEVERS, MCDONALD, GARRETT, GOODLETSON, KALMBACH, COFFEY, JOHNSON, JACOBSON, YOUNG and others.

 

NAME INDEX-TOWN OF WASHINGTON-1881 MARTIN'S HISTORY OF DOOR COUNTY

 

SCHOOLS:

Once had rural schools near Detroit Harbor, Schoolhouse Beach, Jackson Harbor and now has one K-12 School near Detroit Harbor.

 



CHURCHES:

(1) Baptist Church-1895-not in existence today and no records kept.

(2) Danish Norwegian Baptist- 1896-Early 1920's.

(3) Methodist Church -“Little Brown Church” - -1906-no records kept.

(4) Bethel Evangelical Free Church of America- address: Route 1- Box 45, Washington Island, WI 54246.

(5) Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church -ELCA - address: Townline Road, Washington Island, WI 54246.

 

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

The Town of Washington was the first Civil Town to be formed in the County of Door. There have been a few different settlements early on in the mid 1800's which included an Icelandic Settlement, an Irish Settlement, a Black Settlement, and Scandinavian Settlements.

This area was visited very early in the history of French exploration which included Marquette and Joliet and LaSalle. There are historical accounts of LaSalle’s ship “Griffin” landing on Washington Island and its subsequent shipwreck nearby.

 

LOCATION AND ADDRESS OF TOWN HALL:

Main Road, Washington Island, WI 54246.

TOWN RECORDS ARE LOCATED:

 At the Washington Island Archives located at the Town Hall which in Detroit Harbor-Community Center- address: Washington Island Archives, Town of Washington, Washington Island, WI 54246. Records have been microfilmed and are available through at LDS Family History Centers.



DAMAGE DUE TO FIRE OF OCT 1871:

None.



POST OFFICES:

(1) Detroit Harbor (1892-1926).

(2) Fagerwick (1881-1882).

(3) Washington Harbor (1854-1916).

(4) Washington Island (1926-present). Henry D. MINER acted as Postmaster after he arrived in 1849 or 1850.
 


DOOR COUNTY CIVIL TOWNS Page

PGS Page

HOMEPAGE