Methodist Episcopal African Church

As published in "The History of Racine and Kenosha Counties" (Chicago: 1879), p. 383

The Methodist Episcopal African Church was regularly organized by Rev. John Melone, some ten years ago, although for a number of years previous to this time the colored people of this denomination in Racine worshiped in their own meeting house, which was destroyed by fire. After this, a Mr. Murray gave them a building, which was moved to the lot formerly occupied. This house was subsequently sold to B. Newman, and another building bought and placed on the old location. It was dedicated in 1874 by Bishop Weyman and named Weyman's Chapel. Many ministers were supplied by the Conference for the term of one year, but at present the congregation has no minister, and do not hold services.



Click here to go to
WIGenWeb AHGP

Back to the Racine Co. Churches & Temples page