German Evangelical St. Paul's Congregation
As published in "The History of Racine and Kenosha Counties" (Chicago: 1879), p. 394
The German Evangelical St. Paul's Congregation owes is existence to a separation from
the First German Evangelical Lutheran Congregation, and was organized in March, 1873.
The cause of this schism dated back to the establishment of the latter congregation,
the founders of which, in their native country, belonged partly to the Evangelical and
partly to the Lutheran Church. The latter adherents, by their majority, obtained a
controlling power, which they enforced, both in the manner of conducting the religious
services and in general management of the church interests. Some fifteen Evangelical
members became desirous of the organization of an independent congregation, true to
their own principles. The majority of there substantially united, viz. A.
Kaltenschnee, C. Brach, George Hergen, Messrs. Reitenmeyer, Sr., and Jr., F. Miller,
and the Messrs. Bliss, Lattich, Rapp and Baumann. The first religious services were
held by the new congregation in the Court House. Rev. Lamprecht, of Chicago,
officiating. After the Church formed a connection with the Evangelical Synod of North
America, Rev. S. Weber was called as its first Pastor. In 1874, a house of worship and
parsonage were built on a lot previously purchased and located on Liberty Street. This
property became undesirable from the fact that the congregation was obliged to
contribute its share toward the construction of a dock on that part of the river
touching its ground. The Church was forced to solicit assistance, and the complete
outlay amounted to $3,500. The congregaion, at present, has a regular membership of
twenty-six families. The present Pastor, Rev. C. Kunzmann, conducts a Sunday school
attended by twenty children, also a day school, the object of which is religious
instruction and the preservation of the mother language (German).