The Evangelical Lutheran St. John's Congregation of the Unaltered Augsbury Confession
was organized in Racine County on the 30th day of June, 1862, and was first served by
the Rev. Friedrich Lochner and the Rev. Ferdinand Steinbach, formerly of Milwaukee.
The first members of the congregation were: Themotheus Moritz, August Baumann, George
F. Mohn, Andrea Reukauf, Peter Stoffel, Johann Kino, George Steel, George F. Schulz,
Johann George Friedrich, Johann George Rueck, Caspar Reukauf, Johann Shoenleben, Carl
Strauss, Jacob Hagerer, Johann Dennis, Johann Stecher, Johann Herchenroeder, Joseph
Ritter, Johann Foertsch, Traugott Flocker. Rev. W. P. Engelbert was the first Pastor.
July 28, 1862, the congregation concluded to erect a school building, which they also
used as a house of worship, until November 18, 1866, when the present church edifice
was dedicated. The value of the Church property owned by this congregation is
estimated at $9,000. The present membership is 98. After the death of Rev. W. P.
Engelbert, on the 30th day of December, 1878, the members of the congregation
appointed the Rev. C. F. Keller as their Pastor. He arrived at Racine, March 20, 1879.
Connected with the Church is the Evangelical Lutheran St. John's School, which was
stared by the Pastor of the congregation, who managed it for some six weeks. February
2, 1863, A. O. Gertenbach was appointed its first teacher. He assumed his position
February 22, 1863, at which time the school numbered 40 scholars. At the close of the
school year, August 19, 1868, the attendance had increased to 130 scholars. He left
here to teach at Columbia, Monroe County, Ill., and was succeeded by H. Rissmann for
nine months, A. Beyer for two years, I. G. Dolinger for two years, and Friedrich Meyer
for two years. February 14, 1875, A. O. Gertenbach was reappointed as teacher. August
19, 1877, a second teacher, Charles Suhr, was appointed on account of the increase in
the scholarship. The present attendance averages 115. The first schoolhouse proving
inadequate, the congregation found it necessary to erect a new two-story brick
building, which was finished in September, 1877. The congregation, together with their
school, are connected with the Evangelical Lutheran Synod, of Missouri, Ohio and other