The Racine Gas-light Company - p. 433
The Racine Gas-light and Coke Company was incorporated, under the laws of the State, February 24, 1855. The first
election of officers took place at a meeting of stockholders, held April 16, 1855, when the following persons were elected
Directors: H. S. Durand, G. C. Northrop, C. Herrick, A. P. Dutton, J. G. Conroe, J. B. Rowley, G. Wustum. A. P. Dutton was made
President; J. B. Rowley, Secretary, and G. C. Northrop, Treasurer. May 9, 1855, the President and Secretary were authorized
to make a contract with Parkins, Harper & Co., of Chicago, for the erection of works and putting the same in operation, for the
sum of $40,000. During the session of the Legislature of 1866-67, the charter of the Racine Gas-light and Coke Company was
annulled, and a new charter granted to the Racine Gas-light Company, which purchased the works of the old company the same
year, and began operations with a capital stock of $41,000. About 1872, the Racine People's Gas-light and Coke Company was
established, incorporated and in active operation. In March, 1877, this last-named Company bougbt out the Racine Gas-ligbt
Company, and have since operated and managed it under the name of the second charter (Racine Gas-light Company). The capital
stock of the present company is $100,000. The following are the present officers and Directors: Albert A. Munger, President; W.
D. Kimball, Secretary and Treasurer; James Barrell, J. H. Kimball. The works are located at the corner of Fifth and Campbell
streets, and consist of the retort-house, purifying-room, station meter and workshop, lime house, coal-shed and gas-holder,
which has a capacity of 18,000 feet. The Company also utilize the gas-receiver at the former People's Gas-ligbt and Coke
Company's works, which hold 25,000 feet of gas. The works are not otherwise used. -At present, four men are employed at the
gasworks, of which James Blow is Superintendent.
Racine Dredge Company - p. 458
The Racine Dredge Company was incorporated December 17, 1872, under the laws of the State, with a capital of $13,000,
divided into $100 shares, with the privilege of increasing the same to $30,000. It was subsequently increased to
$17,000. The first Directors were: James H. Kelley, Reuben Doud, J. M. Tillapaugh, Stephen Bull, John Vaughn. Officers:
R. Doud, President; William K. May, Secretary and Treasurer. The dredging machine and several scows were built
immediately after the organization was effected. The machinery was purchased in Chicago. The present Board of Directors
is composed of Stephen Bull, D.A. Olin, F. M. Knapp, Secretary and Treasurer and Superintendent.
Racine Warehouse and Dock Company - p. 458
The Racine Warehouse and Dock Company was incorporated under the laws of the State, in March, 1876, by Darwin Andrews,
Samuel C. Tuckerman, George A. Thompson, J. H. Herrick and J. R. Bently. The first Directors were: George A. Thompson,
acting as President; Darwin Andrews as Vice President, and the names mentioned as incorporators. John Wilson was
Secretary. The capital was $300,000. The present warehouse and elevator was finished in 1867, at a cost of $317,000,
including land, building and machinery. It is 55 by 150 feet by 156 feet in height, exclusive of the cupola, and is
located on the south dock of Root River. It was erected for the accomodation of the W. U. R. R. The last Directors
elected are: C. S. Laresche, Alexander Mitchell, John W. Cary, Alfred Cary, D. A. Olin. Officers: John W. Cary,
President; D A. Olin, Vice President; W. K. May, Secretary and Treasurer.
Price List of the Mitchell Wagon, 1877
Mitchell, Lewis & Co. - p. 459
The works of this company, occupying several acres of ground, are located on Washington avenue, corner of Center and
Seventh streets. Their buildings, mostly brick, are substantial and commodious, the main structure being five stories
high. They have a capacity for turning out one wagon every twenty minutes; their average production is 800 wagons per
month. The firm furnishes employment to about two hundred and sixty mechanics, besides the unskilled labor necessary
about the factory. The sales of the house amount to about $600,000 annually and extend from California through the
entire West, and as far east as Pennsylvania. The firm consists of Henry Mitchell, William T. Lewis and Calvin D.
Sinclair. Mr. Mitchell, the head of the firm, is a native of Scotland. His name is intimately connected with the history
of wagon manufacture in the West. In 1834, he located in Chicago, where he remained till 1839, where he built the first
wagon ever constructed in the place, and established a business of some importance. In 1839, he moved to Kenosha, and
there started a large factory. Finding that Racine possessed superior advantages for transportation, ets., he came here
in 1855, where he has since remained, and through untiring energy and business ability, built up a business of great
magnitude. The concern manufacture farm and spring wagons, open and top buggies, which we find are not only sold in the
territory we have already mentioned, but to quite an extent also through the Eastern States, as well as in various
European countries, Africa, the West India Islands, etc.
Fish Bros. & Co. - p. 460
Fish Bros. & Co., manufacturers of every variety of farm, freight, plantation, quartz and header wagons, together with a
full line of phaetons, trotting buggies, road wagons and spring wagons of every description. This institution was
started in the fall of 1862, under the firm name of Fish & Bull. Their beginning was very small, the combined capital
not exceeding $1,000. Their progress was necessarily slow, employing a cheap horse-power tread machine and a span of
cheap horses as the initiatory motive power, that was to grow from year to year until the fame of this great institution
was to be known throughout almost every country on the glode. The first year they employed from six to twelve hands, and
of course could only sell in very small lots, but recognizing the importance of building good wagons, they bent their
energies in that direction, until they have secured results greater than they ever anticipated. In 1864, Daniel Bull
sold his interest to A. C. Fish, when the style of the firm was changed to Fish Bros. From this time forward, the
concern commenced enlarging their works and spreading out, reaching for the trade in competition with the other large
institutions of the kind, until in the fall of 1867, when they became so embarrassed as to necessitate a compromise with
their creditors, which being satisfactorily arranged, they started again with renewed energies. The business prospered
rapidly, as their reputation for making good wagons was becoming well known. In 1873, A. C. Fish, being very anxious to
abandon the manufacturing business to engage in a profession more suited to his taste, sold out his interest to his
brother, E. B. Fish, and John C. Huggins, when the style of the firm was again changed to Fish Bros. & Co. The firm
consists of Titus G. Fish, E. B. Fish and John C. Huggins. They have been constantly enlarging their works, until now
their immense factory, dry-houses, storehouses, dock property and lumber yards cover an area of about twenty acres, and
their production consists of fully twelve thousand vehicles of every description. Their trade extends throughout the
entire United States and territories, Great Britain, Australia, and in fact throughout most of the British possessions,
Hungary, Denmark, Germany and South America.
Racine Wagon and Carriage Company - p. 460
The Racine Wagon and Carriage Company was incorporated and commenced business January 1, 1877. The first officers were:
A. C. Fish, President; D. R. Evans, Secretary; Charles Comstock, Treasurer. The present officers are: Cyrus Comstock,
President; Charles Comstock, Secretary and Treasurer; F. Cartwright, Superintendent. The works are located at the
junction of the Western Union and Northwestern Railroads. The buildings are large, convenient and substantial. This
Company manufactures all styles of spring wagons and carriages, employ from forty to fifty men, and turn out about
$75,000 worth of work per annum, which is sold in all directions of the country. The capital stock of the corporation is
Belle City Novelty Carriage Works - p. 460
The Belle City Novelty Carriage Works, McAvoy & Noonan, proprietors, were established in 1874, on a small scale. The
factory is located on Wisconsin, near Fourth street. This firm manufactures a variety of fine goods, including buggies,
phaetons, basket phaetons, side-bar wagons, sleighs and cutters. They employ about fifteen men, and do a business per
annum of about $18,000.
Seaman Chilled Plow Company - p. 463
The Seaman Chilled Plow Company are now erecting works on the corner of Twelfth street and Western Union Railroad, where
from forty to fifty men will be employed in the manufacture of Seaman's patent I X L plows, also, Seaman's patent
chilled wearing-parts for plows and cultivators. The company is to be composed of five persons, with Mr. Seaman as
Superintendent. The capital is to be from $50,000 to $75,000.
The Racine Silver Plate Company - p. 463
The Racine Silver Plate Company, manufacturers of gold and silver plated ware, Britannia ware, cutlery, etc., was
incorporated May 8, 1875, with an original capital of $20,000, which was afterward increased to $44,000, with authority
to extend the same to $100,000. The first officers were: James H. Kelley, President; B. F. Weeks, Secretary and
Treasurer; Directors, James H. Kelley, B. F. Weeks, Thomas Dickinson, E. G. Huggins, John Elkins. The present officers
are: J. H. Kelley, President; B. F. Weeks, Treasurer; Geroge B. Kelley, Secretary. The Capital of the company is now
$100,000. The establishment employs sixty men and does a business of about $100,000 per annum. Their goods are now
classed with those of Rogers & Co., and other well known Eastern manufacturers, and are sold in Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky,
Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Michigan.
Henry W. Wright, Mnfg. - p. 463
Henry W. Wright, manufacturer of sash, doors, blinds, moldings, fanning mills, etc., erected in 1872, a factory at a
cost of $7,000, to which he has added from time to time, until the value of buildings and machinery now exceeds $10,000.
With largely increased facilities he at present employs an average of forty men. It may be mentioned that he sold, in
1877, on one order, to one party, thirty-five car-loads of goods, for cash. The yearly sales, which extend through Iowa,
Illinois, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska and Wisconsin, amount to upward of $50,000. The factory is located between Erie and
St. Clair streets, north of State.
Thomas Driver & Son - p. 463
Thomas Driver & Son, manufacturers of sash, doors, blinds, and every article in the line of wood work for building, are
located on State street, among the lumber yards, in close proximity to the Western Union depot. Twenty-eight years ago,
Mr. Driver, Sr., was connected with Lucas Bradley in the same business, three years as workman and twleve years as
foreman. May 1, 1856, he discontinued his engagement with Mr. Bradley, and started in business on his own account, by
buying out Mr. Bradley's partner, Mr. Norton's interest in the property, and renting Mr. Bradley's share of the old
factory, which was destroyed by fire, January 17, 1870. In February and March of the same year, the erection of the
present commodious four-story brick factory was commenced and completed. The firm now employs about thirty men, and do a
business of over $30,000 per year.
Mohn & Stecher's Planing Mill - p. 463
Mohn & Stecher's Planing Mill was started in the spring of 1876. It is located on the corner of North Main and Hamilton
streets. The firm employs about eighteen men, manufactures doors, sash, blinds, milk-safes, fanning-mills, moldings,
etc. They carry on a business of some $20,000 annually.
Racine Woolen Mills - p. 463-464
The Racine Woolen Mills, Blake & Co. proprietors, were established in 1865, the present five-story brick factory, corner
Bridge and Ontario streets, being built the same year. The members of the firm were then L. S. Blake, James T. Elliott,
J. M. Tillapahgh and John Hart. In January, 1877, a stock company was organized and incorporated under the laws of the
State, with a capital of $100,000, and the following officers: L. S. Blake, President; James T. Elliott, Treasurer; John
S. Hart, Secretary. This factory employs 136 persons. The annual production amounts to over $200,000. The cloths,
shawls, blankets, etc. made by the company find ready sale in the New York, Philadelphia, Cincinnati and Chicago
Gunther & Son - p. 464
Gunther & Son, manufacturers of post-hole augers, on Sixth street, started in this specialty in 1877, but have conducted
an extensive general repair shop since 1855.
Racine Cotton-Batting Mill - p. 464
The Racine Cotton Batting Mill, William Baumann, proprietor, was established in 1871, and is located on Douglas avenue.
On an average eighteen persons are employed in this establishment, and 900 pounds of batting is produced per day, of
which there are three qualities made, A, B and BB. There are as yet few manufactories in the West of this staple
product, and this one is among the largest, doing a business of over $25,000 per year.
Racine Twine & Cordage Company - p. 464
The Racine Twine & Cordage Company, was incorporated August 8, 1874. Directors: J. Langlois, E. G. Huggins, G. Slawson,
J. Miller and A. Bettridge. Officers: A. Bettridge, President; E. G. Huggins, Vice President; J. Langlois, Secretary and
Treasurer. Capital stock, $20,000. The intended purpose of manufactuing cordage, twine, etc., was temporarily abandoned
until more prosperous times. But this being one of the best flax-growing counties in the Northwest, the Company decided
to go into the manufacturing of upholstering tow. Suitable buildings were accordingly erected, and constructed with a
reference to using them eventually in the making of ropes, twines, etc. A modern engine of from forty to fifty horse
power is used. They have facilities for using up from 2,000 to 3,000 tons of flax straw. The process of manufacturing is
very simple, though requiring very powerful machinery. This consists of immense brakes, containing sixty wrought-iron or
steel fluted rollers, between which the raw material is passed and thoroughly broken. This process is repeated as often
as necessary; by means of carriers, it is then transferred to a machine called a "picker," which separates the woody
substances from the fibre, leaving a material as soft and almost as fine as silk; it is then called tow. Afterward, it
is placed in the press, which is also worked by power by means of immense screws, and made into very compact bales,
weighing from 400 to 500 pounds, and in so small a compass that from ten to twelve tons are put into a car. In this, for
shipping long distances, they have an advantage over most factories of the kind in the United States. The works are
located on Chestnut street, cover three acres of ground, and are the largest of the kind in the United States. The main
shed is 400 feet long. The company have now manufactured stock on hand worth $10,000, and have bought this year,
already, 1,200 tons of straw. They do an annual business of about $30,000.
Racine Basket Manufacturing Company - p. 464
This factory was first opened in 1869, by Elliott & Wetherell, with small facilities, employing only ten men. Its
prosperity increased rapidly, and it was soon after supplied with the best machinery and all labor-saving appliances. In
1872, the works were materially enlarged, but, owing to the hard times, financial difficulties caused a re-organization
of the Company, which was incorporated in 1875 under the present name. In December, 1878, the works were destroyed by
fire, since which time the concern has been working in temporary quarters. The Company have now in course of
construction a commodious brick factory building, which will be supplied with modern machinery, affording every facility
obtainable. They manufacture all sizes and styles of splint baskets, have from fifty to seventy-five employees, and do
an annual business of about $35,000 to $40,000. Their goods are mostly sold to wholesale dealers of Milwaukee, Chicago
and Cincinnati. The capital stock of the Company is $20,000. Officers: Christ Heck, President; F. Harbridge, Vice
President; George Gorton, Secretary and Treasurer.
Belle City Soap Factory - p. 464
The Belle City Soap Factory, P. E. Lichtner, proprietor, was started in 1875, on a small scale, gradually increasing the
works and facilites. This firm manufactures laundry soap, potash, and renders and refines tallow. The yearly business
amounts to about $12,000. The factory is located on Chippecotton street.
Racine Wire Cloth Works - p. 465
The Racine Wire Cloth Works, formerly Charles Goehner's Wire Works, were established by Mr. Goehner, March 27, 1869, on a
very small scale. Wire cloth being extensively used in the manufacture of threshing machines and fanning-mills. Mr. Goehner
was at once patronized by leading firms in Racine. The business increased rapidly, so that, in 1872, the factory was
sufficiently enlarged to give employment to twelve men. April 29, 1876, the works, together with Mr. Goehner's residence,
were destroyed by fire, which, it is supposed, originated by spontaneous conbustion. The day after the fire, preparations
were made for rebuilding, and the present factory was completed and in running order in May of the same year. The change to
the present firm name was occasioned by financial embarrassment, and occurred during the winter of 1879, when the business
was largely increased. At present, thirty-seven workmen are employed. Articles manufactured are: Threshing machine and
fanning mill cloth, foundry riddles, window-shade cloth, wire fences, flower-pot stands, and every article in the wire
line. This factory turns out $60,000 worth of goods annually. Its location is on Superior street, north of State.
Northwestern Trunk and Traveling Bag Manufactory - p. 465
The Northwestern Trunk and Traveling Bag Manufactory, M. M. Secor, proprietor. In 1861, Mr. Secor started in the harness
business in a small and modest way, manufacturing also a few trunks. Subsequently, he gave up harness work, and engaged
in making trunks exclusively. In 1877, he associated with himself Joseph and Anthony Hayek, and the firm was styled M.
M. Secor & Co. In January, 1878, Mr. Secor again became sole proprietor. At present, from seventy to eighty persons are
employed in the factory. All qualities and styles of trunks and valises are manufactured, and sold in all sections of
the Union, except the extreme East. One hundred trunks are turned out per day, and the yearly business exceeds $100,000.
The five-story brick factory building is located on Chatham Street.
Racine Linseed Oil Works - p. 465
The Racine Linseed Oil Works was started in 1872, by Emerson & Co., the present proprietors, with a paid-up capital
sufficient to carry on the business. The original building had a storage capacity of 30,000 bushels, and but two presses
were in operation. In 1874, the building was enlarged, and its working capacity doubled. In 1875, it was still enlarged,
until now the building is 121x84 feet, and five stories high. It has a storage capacity of 120,000 bushels of flax seed,
and a tankage capacity of 100,000 gallons of oil, and a working capacity of 100,000 bushels of seed, annually. The
products of these works are: Raw, boiled and refined linseed oil and linseed cake. A large portion of the oil is sold in
Wisconsin and Illinois, while the market for oil-cake is England and Scotland. A large portion of the seed worked up is
grown within twenty miles of the factory, the balance being bought in other part of Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas
and Nebraska. This establishment employs from twelve to sixteen men, and run the works twenty three hours out of the
The Racine Pump Factory - p. 465
The Racine Pump Factory, Winship Bros., proprietors, was established by Winship & Gilbert, in 1864, on a comparatively
small scale, employing three men, and making pumps only. Subsequently, the firm was changed to Winship & Co., afterward
to Winship & Parker. Winship & Co. were burndt out in 1868. A fire also occurred to Winship & Parker, in 1870, after
which Mr. Parkside retired, and Mr. Winship became the sole proprietor, and built, in 1871, the present works. In 1875,
Mr. Winship associated with himself his brother, when the firm was styled Winship Bros. The factory is located corner
State and St. Clair street. It is a three-story brick building, occupying an entire square. The firm manufacture pumps,
wind-mills, water tanks, cisterns, clothes reels, sand-papering machines, combined washing-machines and kitchen tables,
etc. About fifteen men are constantly employed, and over $60,000 worth of goods are sold annually.
Hodges & Mutter - p. 465
Hodges & Mutter, manufacturers of wooden cisterns and tanks, started in business in January, 1879.
Jens Jensen, Wagon Hardware - p. 465
Jens Jensen, manufacturer of wagon hardware and malleable iron, commenced business in 1870. This establishment employs
fifty-five men, a capital of $30,000, and does a business of some $75,000 annually. The goods manufactured by the
concern are largely consumed in the home manufactories, but considerable quantities are shipped to other places. The
works are located corner West and Milwaukee streets.
Racine Hardware Manufacturing Company - p. 466
The Racine Hardware Manufacturing Company, was incorporated in 1874, with the following first officers: I. J. Clapp.
President; A. F. Durant, Vice President; E. G. Durant, Secretary, who still continue in their respective positions. This
company was located in Kenosha for some three years previous to 1874, and styled the Kenosha Hardware Company. Their
extensive works are at present situated at Racine Junction, where about 130 men find steady employment. Connected with,
and controlled by this concern, is the Racine Hard Wood Finishing Company, started in 1878. The works of the last
mentioned Company are also loacted at the Junction, but in a separate building. The articles produced by the two
establishments are: Florist's goods, ferneries, aquarias, and a line of light hardware, school-seats, opera chairs, hall
and railway settees, blackboards and all kinds of veneerings. They have lately also begun the manufacture of a veneer
boat, a light exercise row-boat, fourteen feet in length and twenty-eight inches beam, eleven inches deep amidships,
weighing about fifty pounds, including outrigger. The annual sales of the Company exceed $200,000. The capital employed
is $75,000. Their trade extends throughout the United States, and their goods are also exported to some extent. A
general line of machine shop job work is also done at the hardware factory.
Hurtbut & Co. - p. 466
Hurlbut & Co. commenced the manufacture of the patent lock for wagon brakes, in the year 1870. The demand for their lock
has steadily increased, year after year, and they made last year over 30,000 wagon locks, which are shipped to all
sections of the country. During the month of august, 1878, 4,672 locks were made and sold; twelve men are employed and
over 450,000 pounds of iron consumed per annum. In addition to the manufacture of the "Hurlbut Lock" they have just
commenced the manufacture of a new lock known as "the Single Lever Lock."
Vinegar & Pickle Factory - George Bucher - p. 466
This is the only factory of the kind in the city, and is doing a business large enough to use up all the adjacent
cucumbers. The vinegar factory was established in 1867, and the pure white wine vinegar has always been exclusively
made. The pickle department was added three years ago. The annual sales amount to about $20,000; 2,500 barrels of
vinegar are manufactured, and more than 1,000,000 cucumbers pickled. The vinegar is used chiefly as a supply for pickle
Racine Iron Works - p. 466
The Racine Iron Works, S. Freeman & Son, proprietors. In 1869, Stephen Freeman established a shop for repairing biolers,
and the following year he found himself authorized to build machine shops and a foundry. To this, in 1874, he added a
department for florists, ornamental iron work, aquaria, brackets, etc. The capital employed in the business in 1869, was
$1,500; in less than ten years, it has been increased to over $80,000. The firm employ 100 men. The annual production of
biolers is 350. The works are located on Bridge street.
F. Eckhardt, piano manufacturer - p. 466
F. Eckhardt, piano manufacturer, on Sixth street. The Racine manufactories are not entirely devoted to the strictly
useful, and the Eckhardt Piano may be mentioned as an indication of its enterprise in the direction of fine arts. This
factory was established in 1870, by Mr. Eckhardt, a practical piano-maker. He manufactures from sixteen to eighteen
pianos per year and as many organs.
The Racine Star Hills - p. 468
The Racine Star Hills, P. A. Herzog and J. H. Roberts, proprietors, located corner Second and Main streets, were originally
established by John P. Jones, in 1867. The property came into the hands of the present firm by purchase in July, 1876. They
employ five men, and do, a business of about $75,000 per annum.
The State Street Hill - p. 468
The State Street Hill, Peter Zirbes and Lambert Weiss, proprietors. The mill was built and first operated by Thomas & Co., in
1863. After numerous chanoes, the present firm commenced business in 1878. Four men are employed, and an average of forty
barrels. of flour are ground per day.
Boots and Shoes
J. Miller & Co. - p. 468
J. Miller & Co., manufacturers of boots and shoes. Mr. Miller had been engaged in manufacturing
in a small way for many years, while in the retail boot and shoe trade. In July, 1872,
he started in the manufacturing business exclusively. January 1, 1875, he associated with himself
Charles T. Schweitzer, the firm being then styled J. Miller & Co. The grade of goods
produced by this establishment is known in commercial circles as custom-made work; they
manufacture the largest variety of boots and shoes of any firm in the West, where all their
goods are sold. From ninety to one hundred men are constantly employed. The annual sales of the firm
average $150,000. Their factory is a three-story brick building, 60x8O feet, corner Fourth and Chatham streets.
Antony G. Peil, manufacturer - p. 468
Antony G. Peil, manufacturer of peg boots and shoes for men, and ladies' and children's fine shoes, commenced
business in 1868. The goods find their principal market in Wisconsin Iowa and Illinois. There are soine twenty
employes, and the annual sales amount to about $30,000. In May, 1879, Mr. Pell increased his facilities and put
in new machinery, enabling him to manufacture all lines of goods.
L. W. Philbrook & Co. - p. 468
L. W. Philbrook & Co., manufacturers of boot and shoe pacs, commenced business under the present firm name in 1871.
Previous to that date, S. J. Philbrook had been for three years engaged in manufacturing the articles named in
Racine. The firm employ fifteen men, manufacturing; about one thousand dozen boots and three hundred dozen shoes
and slippers, valued at $40,000, annually, which are sold in the lumber region exclusively. Their factory
is at the foot of Main street. There are few people outside of the lumber trade who know what a pac is, and to
a person visiting such a factory for the first time, the clumsy but comfortable-looking boots and shoes present
a singular appearance. They are in shape very much like a moccasin but are made of heavy russet leather.
F. Platz & Son - p. 468
F. Platz & Son, have one of the largest tanneries in the city, on St. Clair street. Twen men are employed in this
establishment, which turns out $65,060 worth of manufactured stock annually. The firm commenced business and built their
tannery in 1859.
Bevier & Reid, manufacturers - p. 469
Bevier & Reid, manufacturers of calf, boot, grain, splits, etc., started in business in November, 1878. Their tannery, located on
Root River, between Sixth and Eighth streets, is supplied with steam power and all modern machinery. It is the best tannery in
the city, and probably the best of its size in the State. They manufacture from $80,000 to $100,000 worth of goods, which are
sold throughout the Western States.
Jacob Kawelti - p. 469
Jacob Kawelti establisbed his tannery in 1859, employing three men. His specialty is the
preparation of harness leather, which is sold mostly in Chicago. Six men are employed, and goods to the value of $30,000
are manufactured annually. This tannery is located on the corner of Seventh and Howe streets.
A. Madson's tannery - p. 469
A. Madson's tannery is located on Chippicotton street. He employs six men, and makes a specialty of manufacturing sheep-skins
into mitten stock.
Mark Nelson's tannery - p. 469
Mark Nelson's tannery was established in 1874, for manufacturing sheep-skins into mitten
stock. He employs three men, and his yearly sales amount to about $8,000.
L. W. Philbrook Co. - p. 469
L. W. Philbrook Co. have a tannery, where they get out all the leather they use.
They put in 1,500 heavy hides yearly, which are tanned with japonica and alum by a process peculiar to themselves, which
makes the leather soft, yielding and water-proof.
Lime and Stone
J. A. Horlick & Sons. - p. 469
J. A. Horlick & Sons. The business carried on by this firm was established in 1853. Lime, stucco, cement, plasterers' hair,
etc., are made in 1arge quantities, the amount of sales averaging about $60,000 a year.
William Beswick. - p. 469
William Beswick. This gentleman has been engaged in the business of manufacturing lime for twenty years. His lime-kilns are
situated on his own lands, on Root River, about a mile and a quarter from the center of the town average amount of manufactures
valued at from $12,000 to $15,000.